R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVoltage and status lights - Event Date: 29 Apr 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Voltage and status lights
    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 3:11pm
Ben,

Pretty much an personal decision. Where do you want the outlet? Where do you have or can make access to 12 V? Each of the trailers can be different. I have a 178, I mounted it in the right side dinette seat as you enter trailer. That way I can use it and see it from the door. What ever you decide it will have to be connected to 12V and you have spare fuse locations.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 4:41pm
Ben, being that I'm retired and adverse to working more than necessary, I installed it on the wall adjacent to the fridge.  In the 172, the power panel is below the fridge, so I connected it on a new fuse circuit there and ran the wire through a hole I drilled in the floor of the refrigerator compartment and up along the outside wall.  I sealed the hole with a little caulk.  I cut a mounting hole in the single very thin layer of plywood that separates the refrigerator compartment from the interior of the trailer.  Because the plywood rivals a thick plastic bag, I used screws with nuts and big washers to give it a little more strength.  

So far, so good.  It works well, and it's easy to lay the phones on the upper edge of the dinette cushion while charging.  The real test comes this weekend when I'll be plugging in a little inverter into the 12v plug to charge my macbook battery.  I don't anticipate any problems, but, then,  I sacrificed a chicken to the camping goddess just to be on the safe side.  It was delicious, with a nice sherry wine sauce.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 4:54pm
BB.. Voltage is one thing, but how you read it and when means a lot. I agree with what has been said, those on-board meters are crap. Look pretty, but really crap.

Batteries need to rest before reading. Rule is 24hrs, but you can tell pretty quick what the condition is after 5-6hrs. Dropping fast, issue.. Especially if dropping into the 11's. Replacement time..

Reading your posts, I'd say (and only me) your better off with 12v batteries. You draw hard with that blender. !2's like that.

I would suggest stepping up past those type 24's though. 

I am adding a meter that reads my amp/wattage draw (actually added just haven't decided on it's final home on the Rpod). No matter what the voltage says, I know what I have drawn. I know where it's at and what I 'need' to do.

Several out there ranging from $20 to $250. The cheaper ones are not as accurate, but how accurate do we really need to be? We just want to know where we are on draw.

Me, I've had LA's for years and find them to be an awesome battery if cared for. Match them to your usage, maintain them and they will last for years!

Just traded in my 27's for my new dual 6's. The salesman said "I don't think I was alive when you bought these!" We laughed. I killed them over the last year because they were not in service. I had them running at 80% before I took them 'off line' with all those years.
Ya I love LA's!

You find a good deal on a couple 27's, do it. Again, just me speaking here.. You draw real hard, so I wouldn't suggest 6's.. They just don't like that crap and maintenance.. well, would happen more often.

Back to reading, asking and poking my nose in when I think it may help. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 5:15pm
I was a little less lazy than lostagain and installed our outlets on the wall of our 179 where the cable/antenna outlet is. The fuse panel is on the same side of the Pod and I had to feed the wires under the shower and behind the drawers.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by lostagain

Here's the one we got from Amazon.  It has a switch to turn it off and on at the upper right.  Under the little rubber flaps are the plug ins for usb and 12v.

Any chance you still have the link to this on amazon?  I've been looking for something like this with a switch and voltmeter to replace the 12v receptacle I have installed.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 9:49am
In the new camper..

A Linky..

Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 9:58am
Originally posted by furpod

In the new camper..

A Linky..

Thank you sir!
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:24pm
I like this one!  But just curious as to why it doesn't come with all the terminals wired up?  To reduce cost?  Ordered!  
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 3:03pm
Here's the link Hayduke"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTBXHEV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12