R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod Warranty Repairs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod Warranty Repairs
    Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Richand Cindy

Dave.  While it sounds as a no brainer not to turn away warranty work it is done quite often.  Some dealers hourly rates are higher than what FR will pay them.  So according to these dealers they lose money on warranty work.  But of course they want to keep their customers happy and do the work.  But for an outsider driving onto the lot and asking for warranty work there is a big risk they will be turned down and FR will say nothing to that dealer if he did not sell it.  My closest RPOD dealer said he will not do any warranty work because he has too much work for his own customers so I had to look elsewhere.  Also that is why many people report having to pay for warranty work.  They are paying the difference between what the dealer wants to charge and what FR will reimburse the dealer.  Keystone brand is worse, they pay dealers the least.  Just a fact of RV life.  So it is better to know in advance so one can decide if it is worth it to save money not buying locally

Rich,

I'm sure your right that there are some dealers that TRY their best to turn away warranty work...but there are some problems with that for the dealer not you!

First, you are covered by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which is a Federal law that applies in all States whether you are buying a car or an RV camper trailer. If the manufacture sells a product with a written warranty then they and their dealer’s must follow this law. You can get your Forest River product, ie R-Pod, serviced at ANY of their over 2400 Authorized Forest River Service Centers in the U.S. and Canada that perform warranty service by just calling in the U.S. 888-417-8299 or Canada 513-863-7000 to find your nearest service center. Since there are over 2400 service location that preform warranty work what do you want to bet your nearest Forest River R-Pod dealer is an authorized service location? If you take your R-Pod into an authorized service location and they do not preform the warranty work authorized by Forest River in a reasonable time again call Forest River about your problem and I’d be very surprised if this dealer continues to delay working on your R-Pod. Because this action by the dealer can not only be a violation of the Magnuson-Moss act but also applicable State warranty and Lemon laws in the State your camper is licensed. Remember these manufactures and especially their dealers don’t want or need pissed of consumers who are contacting Federal and State regulators and worse spreading complains against such all over the internet. As for a dealer not wanting to do a warranty repair to a RV or what ever because they are not being reimbursed by the manufacture of the product they sell for as much as they charge for non-warranty work. Then all I and the Law have to say about that is too bad that is NOT the consumer, your, problem period!

Now I am sure there are R-Pod dealers that will tell you that they will not preform warranty service your camper that you need to take it back to where you bought it from for this warranty work. These same unscrupulous dealers are counting on you first not knowing the laws and second not calling Forest River to make sure they are an authorized warranty repair shop. I will bet if your local dealer is selling lots of R-Pods and other Forest River products they are an authorized service center and if in doubt just a quick phone call to Forest River can confirm. Now as to why your local dealer is selling a camper two or three thousand of dollars more then what you can buy from a distant dealer. It’s all a matter of the dealership owner business practices of either selling a few and maximizing mark up prices or selling many campers and there for lowering the mark up profit they make on each sale. Most dealer will not negotiate the sales price much if at all and why is that? It's because they don’t expect you to dive three hours much less three states away to buy a camper! They also have no problem lying to you if you buy elsewhere you can’t get warranty service here even though they are an authorized Forest River service center because they never think you’ll check it out.  Star 

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:06pm
I am not sure exactly what this post is in response to.. But a couple notes..

RV dealers absolutely CAN refuse to do warranty work on units they didn't sell. Complaining to FR about will get you exactly nowhere. In fact FR has several notices about "buying local" on their website. And they specifically cite service availability as the reason.

RV dealers are in no way shape or for captive like car dealers. They can do as they please.

Lemon laws do not cover anything beyond automobiles in many states.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:07pm
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:23pm
The federal RV Lemon Law was designed to protect your rights when your new RV turns sour and the manufacturer's dealer is unable to fix it within reasonable number of attempts or a reasonable amount of time. This law applies to motorized RV's including Class A, Class B and Class C motorhomes as well as towable RV's which include Travel Trailers, Toy Haulers, Fifth-Wheel Trailers and Truck Campers.

There are in fact law firms that cover ALL lemon law cases.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by furpod

http://www.forestriverinc.com/buy-local.aspx

I wonder why they say this then on the same page as this link you posted.

"With one of the largest North American Dealer Networks, Forest River is committed to helping customers with service when they are in transit and far from their local dealer."

Remember the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies to not only cars but also RV's campers and anything there is a written warranty. And after reading their web page you linked to it seems a bit confusing and leaves a big hole that a lawyer maybe able to jump in concerning warranty work on their products. Also many States do in fact have Lemon laws and other consumer protections for people who buy RV's just google it and you'll see. Granted its no where as extensive as with cars yet still some States do offer the consumer some protection on RV purchases.

As for why I started this here well its continuation of a discussion that originated in the Introduction section of the forum. I thought it would be best to move it over here where we can continue to agree to disagree and not be so off topic from the OP questions. I hope that's okay with everyone?

wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:52pm
Lemon Law guidance by state as it pertains to RVs. The phone nuber for a RV lemon law attorney is enclosed.

What is a lemon in my state?

Alabama

Reasonable number of repair chances or a reasonable amount of time to complete repair during warranty

Alaska

3 unsuccessful repairs or 30 business days out of service within shorter of 1 year or warranty.

Arizona

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 calendar days within shorter of 2 years or 24,000 miles. Chassis only, under 10,000 lbs

Arkansas

3 unsuccessful repairs, or 1 unsuccessful repair of a problem likely to cause death or serious bodily injury within longer of 24 months or 24,000 miles. Chassis only

California

4 times subject to repair or total of 30 calendar days out of service or only 2 repair attempts on a safety defect within shorter of 18 months or 18,000 miles, or a reasonable number of attempts during entire express warranty period. Law covers a small businesses registering up to 5 vehicles. Chassis only, under 10,000 lb

Colorado

Reasonable number of repair chances or a reasonable amount of time to complete repair during warranty

Connecticut

Delaware

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 calendar days out of service within shorter of 1 year or warranty. Chassis only

District of Columbia

Florida

3 unsuccessful repairs or 60 calendar days within 24 months from delivery. Living facilities of recreational vehicle are not covered

Georgia

3 unsuccessful repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service within shorter of 24,000 miles or 24 months, with 1 repair or 15 days out of service within shorter or 1 year or 12,000 miles; or one unsuccessful repair of serious safety defect in braking or steering system within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles. Chassis only, under 10,000 lb

Hawaii

3 unsuccessful repair attempts, or 1 unsuccessful repair attempt of defect likely to cause death or serious bodily injury, or 30 business days out of service within shorter of two years or 24,000 miles. Rv under 10,000 lb

Idaho

4 repair attempts or 30 business days out of service within shorter of 2 years or 24,000 miles, or 1 repair of a complete failure of the braking or steering system likely to cause death or serious bodily injury. Rv under 12,000 lb

Illinois

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 business days out of service within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles.

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 calendar days out of service or 10 total repairs within shorter of 1 year or warranty. Chassis only, under 12,000 lb

Kentucky

Louisiana

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 calendar days out of service within shorter of 1 year or warranty. Chassis only

Maine

3 unsuccessful repairs (with at least 2 times by same repair shop) or 15 business days out of service within shorter of warranty or 2 years or 18,000 miles. Commercial use vehicles also covered if under 8,500 lb

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 business days or 1 unsuccessful repair of total braking or steering loss likely to cause death or serious bodily injury within shorter of 2 years or warranty. Chassis only

Mississippi

3 unsuccessful repairs or 15 business days out of service within shorter of 1 year or warranty. Chassis only

Missouri

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 business days out of service within shorter of 1 year or warranty. Chassis only

Montana

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 business days out of service after notice within shorter of 2 years or 18,000 miles. Chassis only

Nebraska

4 unsuccessful repairs or 40 calendar days out of service within shorter of 1 year or warranty.

Nevada

New Hampshire

3 unsuccessful repairs by same dealer or 30 business days out of service within warranty. Rv’s under 9,000 lb

New Jersey

3 unsuccessful repairs or 20 calendar days out of service within shorter of 2 years or 18,000 miles. Chassis only

New Mexico

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 business days out of service within shorter of 1 year or warranty. Rv’s under 10,000 lb

New York

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 calendar days out of service within shorter of 2 years or 18,000 miles. Chassis only

North Carolina

4 unsuccessful repairs within shorter of 24 months, 24,000 miles or warranty or 20 business days out of service during any 12 month period of warranty. Rv’s under 10,000 lb

North Dakota

Ohio

3 unsuccessful repairs of same defect or 30 calendar days out of service or 8 total repairs of any defects or 1 unsuccessful repair of problem likely to cause death or serious bodily, injury within shorter of 1 year or 18,000 miles. Covers all of Rv except for facilities related to eating and sleeping

Oklahoma

4 unsuccessful repairs or 45 calendar days out of service within shorter of 1 year or warranty. Chassis only, under 10,000 lb

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

3 unsuccessful repairs or 30 calendar days out of service within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles. Chassis only

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

4 unsuccessful repairs when 2 occur within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles and other 2 occur within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles immediately following second repair attempt, or 2 unsuccessful repairs of a serious safety defect when 1 occurred within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles and other occurred within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles immediately following first repair, or 30 calendar days out of service within shorter of 2 years or 24,000 miles and at least 2 attempts were made within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles.

Utah

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 business days out of service within shorter of 1 year or warranty. Chassis only

Vermont

3 unsuccessful repairs when at least first repair was within warranty, or 30 calendar days out of service within warranty. Chassis only

Virginia

3 unsuccessful repairs or 1 repair attempt of serious safety defect or 30 calendar days out of service within 18 months. Chassis only

Washington

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 calendar days out of service (15 during warranty period) or 2 repairs of serious safety defects, first reported within shorter of warranty term or 24 months or 24,000 miles. One repair attempt and 15 of the 30 days must fall within greater of manufacturer's warranty term or at least 1 year of 12,000 miles. Chassis only

West Virginia

3 unsuccessful repairs or 30 calendar days out of service or 1 unsuccessful repair of problem likely to cause death or serious bodily injury within shorter of 1 year or warranty. Chassis only

Wisconsin

4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 calendar days out of service within shorter of 1 year or warranty.

Wyoming

3 unsuccessful repairs or 30 business days out of service within 1 year. Rv’s under 10,000 lb

In every state, all defects in an Rv have to be repaired within a reasonable number of chances and within a reasonable amount of time, in addition to the above lemon definitions.

Some states limit their law to those parts of an Rv that are not related to eating or sleeping. Where the phrase "chassis only" is stated in this chart it is intended to mean the parts of an Rv that are not related to eating or sleeping but each state's Lemon Law can be different and should be read in its entirety.

Some states limit their law to an Rv’s weight factors and you can find out what that means by clicking here.

Call us today. 1.888.331.6422, toll free, or email us for a Free Case Review.

In every case, always check your local law for recent amendments or contact the Rv Lemon Law attorneys.

When you’ve got a lemon Rv or a lemon motorhome or a lemon travel trailer or any other kind of lemon vehicle, we can help you get compensation, your money back or a new vehicle.

For cars and trucks, check our state Car and Truck Lemon Laws chart. For motorcycles, check our state Motorcycle Lemon Laws chart.

Call us today. 1.888.331.6422, toll free, or email us for a Free Case Review.
Mike Carter
2015 178
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by mcarter

Lemon Law guidance by state as it pertains to RVs. The phone nuber for a RV lemon law attorney is enclosed.

Mike,

Whether someone agree's or disagrees with me on this topic you have done everyone a big favor with this information that every State does in fact have lemon laws concerning RV's which is something everyone here should know! Thanks!
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 5:55pm
Facts are facts, this law firm out of Ohio covers nationwide claims and is familiar with every state law and the federal law you have already mentioned. The fact is RVs are covered by existing law.
Mike Carter
2015 178
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:16pm

To update this topic and counter the opinion that some here think they can only get warranty repair at the dealer you purchased it from I would like to relate a little information that disproves this notion. Our camper is now turning a year old and out of warranty though before it ran out I had two problems that need attending. The first was the electric indicator on the refrigerator showing you were on shore power went out and the second being a leaky shower stall. During this past winter I took my camper to my local dealer for the leaking shower and when I picked it up they assured me there was no problem, wrong! This time when I needed warranty work not having much faith in my dealer service shop and knowing they are large dealer of many different brands and they would be backed up I opted for an Independent RV repair shop. If all warranty work had to be done by the dealer you purchased your camper from then all the cost of my repairs should of came out of my pocket. Instead all my repairs where covered by the factory warranty, Dometic covered the refrigerator, and Forest River covered all but ½ an hour of labor for the shower repair. At first Forest River tried to bulk with covering my shower repair but that was taken care of after a quick exchange of emails with Kate Ebbole, Surveyor/Rpod - Warranty Claims/Service Dept. (574) 642-3119 opt. 2, emailkebbole@forestriverinc.com

So this goes to show you that you can get warranty service work at any Forest River R-Pod dealer or Independent RV shop that is astute enough to know how to file a warranty claim.

wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:56pm
Good info for those with warranties. I think a lot of it has to do with perseverance and acting like an adult. Most folks are good folks and react positive to civility. It's important to be respectful and civil, I used to tell my employees, the customer should never know you don't like them, they are profit and you are overhead.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>