Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLake Ft. Smith State Park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Ft. Smith State Park
    Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:49pm
Finally, the weather cooperated for our first R-pod trip to Lake Ft. Smith State Park.  The original park had to be relocated 3 years ago at a cost of over $20 million because the lake's dam was enlarged.  So everything is essentially new.  There are 20 full hook-ups and 10 with just water & elec.; two bath houses; swimming pool; picnic area and marina.  Most sites have winter lake views.  The park's hiking trail is part of the 165 mile Ozark Highland Trail.  There are pretty water falls and rivlets as water drains down the hill sides to the lake.  Deer grazed by our campsite at night; and it was amazing how close we were able to get to a Bald Eagle on a boat tour with the park interpreter.  If you're traveling through Arkansas, this park is about 25 miles north of I-40, off I-540 on the western side of the state.   

The R-pod is a dream to pull, except for the low mpgs.  Haven't computed that yet, but doesn't appear to be very good.  We had the LP noise mentioned by others.  The sound we heard was similar to a goose squawk.  The water wasn't hot until we finally turned all the valves on the water heater in the proper position.  The refrigerator had a warning light and we finally figured out the GFIC had tripped.  The only unresolved issue was with the stove.  At the walk through months ago, I thought they had told me that the stove had ignitors.  I guess it was a senior moment. 
We gave 3 tours through the pod, and got lots of smiles and long looks.

Hope the weather keeps getting better 'cause I'm ready to go again!
Mamajomba
Annie (mixed terrier) and Oscar (Westie) under the table looking at Lake Fort Smith.

Campsites are nicely spaced, level and very clean.
mamajomba
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 7:26pm
Nice pics.  Looks like a nice park.
Glad  you got out and gave your Pod a run through.  After a couple of trips all those little details get to be second nature. 

Take matches!  Smile
four peas
Mamajoma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 10:29pm
I forgot my camera so I used my phone to take the few pictures I did.  Which explains why there isn't much to see in the photos.  (I also forgot to take a lighter, which I will not do again!). 
mamajomba
 Post Reply Post Reply