Topic ClosedHensley Cub Test Market Offer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hensley Cub Test Market Offer
    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:08am
For anyone interested, I called Hensley Manufacturing this morning to get information about the Hensley Cub hitch which is claimed to not control, but eliminate sway. This hitch normally sells for $2590 but in this test market deal, the price is $1670. Shipping to anywhere in the US is $125.

I have an Equal-i-zer, but am strongly considering upgrading to the Hensley Cub hitch. Having one experience where the hitch could not stop the sway, I don't every want a repeat. The Hensley Cub looks like it would be much better than any other design I have seen.

While I was on the phone with Hensley, I asked and was told that I could share this information here.

Edit: I received emailed information. The actual model is the new Swift Cub model that uses chains instead of jack bars. The older style Cub price is $1970.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:56am
That's an awful lot of money to pay to fix an issue that can be adequately remedied for under $300 with an Fastway E2.  I guess if you have the extra money and it makes you feel more secure, it's something that you can buy, but it seems like overkill on a trailer of the weight the rPod.  We've driven in some pretty nasty cross winds and I never felt like we didn't have full control.  But, to each his own.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:07am
It is a lot of money, but having one accident where the Equal-i-zer (2 more points of sway control than the E2) was not able to stop the sway and prevent an accident, I am going to upgrade my hitch to the Swift Cub. In our case, it was not just the cross-winds but the combination of ice with those cross-winds that was the problem. The E2 would also have not been effective in that instance.

Edit: I have the Swift Cub on order now. It should arrive next Wednesday. It will get installed and the first real long-haul test will happen next month when we take off to visit our daughters and grandchildren and then go up to Yellowstone NP for a couple of days before returning home.

If it works out as well as I hope, I will have an Equal-i-zer hitch and a Hayes Sway-Master Electronic Sway Control for sale, either together or separately.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 11:06am
We try to make sure we have ballast in the fresh water tank in our 179, which is the front-most holding tank in our 179. I recently took a trip with an empty fresh water tank and I had one instance where I felt the Pod starting to sway, so I'll make sure the fresh water tank is at least half full from now on.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:31pm
Was the issue on the ice really sway or was it a full loss of traction that no anti sway device and/or WDH would have stopped, including the Swift Club?  Feeling safer is important, and may be worth the money, but I'd sure be careful relying on this system when driving on icy roads with wind as it may not really afford any more protection than other less costly systems.  As with all things in life, things are always balances with cost vs. actual benefit.  And if you have the dough re mi to buy the best out there, what the heck, go for it.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 4:08pm
I did not intend to drive on ice. If I had known we would be hitting ice, I would have waited to set out that morning. Since the roads were clear where we were and there were no warnings posted, I thought we would be okay. Needless to say, I was wrong.
I don't really like to spend money needlessly, but when it comes to safety, I will spend the extra. I think it will make a nice difference for highway towing also, even if there is no ice.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply