Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator fuel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator fuel
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:50pm
To any generator users, maybe even more specific, Honda genny users, does the gas you use matter as far as regular or premium? They say run regular, but I was wondering if it matters. Does the gas last longer if its premium? I do use Sta-bil if that matters. I also bought two 20 amp 50 foot extension cords so when i run in series i won't be worried about 15 amp cords. Most camp grounds supply a 20, 30, and 50 amp hookup around here. I'm guessing that i can probably run a 20 amp into the pod and be able to run the a/c if i had too. My a/c seems to max out at about 17A from what i can see, then stabilizes at around 14A. These things are heavy and if they arent useful, i'd rather send them back. That would give me a 100 foot hook up if needed. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 3:36pm
I use regular gas in my Honda eu2000i but I only use it to charge the battery a couple of hours a day when dry camping.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:05pm
I use premium non ethanol gas is our riding mower, weed whacker, snow blower and chain saw.
Supposed to make them run better and last long.......................we'll see.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:09pm
Same here, a.k.a. RV gas.  Where I purchase states 94% octane.  Have been using it in my chain saw, log splitter, leaf blower, string trimmer for the past 5 years.  No need to add Sta-bil or anything similar.  Have let it sit in my leaf blower for 11 months, the following year I need 1 pull on choke and on 2nd pull it starts; can't complain about that.  This is the fuel we used to get in the 60's and 70's before the ethanol deal.  It is much easier on valve seats and the like as well.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:20pm
I use a lot of different fuels. Some of my items use a pre mixed 50:1. Others I run on premium. My generator I run on regular unleaded. It does fine. Sta-Bil is a good product for items that sit for months before using again. Personally I am a Marvel Mystery Oil guy:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:36pm
I use regular, which is 87 octane down here in Texas. I also use Sta-Bil, which keeps the carb from gumming up. I've had no issues with power on my two Honda EU2000is.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:59pm
If you can get non-ethanol gasoline, do so. Your small engines will run better and there is much less chance of them gumming up from moisture absorbed by the ethanol in regular gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol. I run all of my small engines on non-ethanol gasoline with Sta-bil or 2 cycle oil with stabilizer for the 2 cycle engines. Even after a winter's non-use, they start and run with no problems.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:31pm
+1 regarding zero ethanol.  Ethanol is poison for small engines.  It attracts moisture.  When it's fresh is might be okay but ethanol at least used to be bad for valves and seals.  Engine components may have adapted since ethanol became so common.  But the moisture thing is killer.  Go out of the way and pay extra for gas without any ethanol.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 7:18pm
Have not run my Harbor Freight Generator yet but I prefer to buy Premium for my gas engines.

Fuel when purchased gets stabil and sea foam.

First sign of troubles it gets a bigger dose of sea foam.

Modern gas seems to shellac much quicker in the carb than the old leaded gas I grew up with.
Sea Foam really helps clean ports and jets.  When it comes through it can pop, bark stutter, then all of a sudden smooth out and run like new again.

The last 10 years have turned me into a big believer. Yes there will be a bottle in the TV.

Question, you guys with generators. How do you haul fuel and keep the wife from complaining about the gas smell?

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 7:49pm
Gas can is never inside the TV's cab or the R-Pod. When we had the Escape, I had put a cargo carrier in place of the spare and it rode on that along with a spare propane tank. Total weight was well under 100 lbs so it did okay. Now that we have the Frontier, it rides in the bed of the pickup inside a little bin into which the gas can goes along with a bottle of Sta-bil and a bottle of oil. An alternate location could be on the rack where the generator is carried (Stromberg-Carlson Trailer Tray) if the generator leaves enough room for it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>