R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater heater wont ignite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water heater wont ignite
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:19am
Hi guys
I dewinterized and im getting ready to go out for 2 days on friday. I ran the heat for 10 mins or so, it was fine. I was just testing everything out. I tried the water heater on elec, it worked. I put it on propane and it was "clicking" (the igniter) and not lighting. I went to watch with the hatch open and saw a small fire, then nothing. I realized i was out of propane. I got it filled and the propane tank good now. I tried the water heater again and i smell plenty of propane, but no clicking of the igniter. ive tried a dozen times. I put the furnace on, it works fine. I checked a couple fuses, seem ok. Any idea why no igniter clicking?? Also, is it dangerous to light it with a lighter if i had to? Thanks

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:52am
Is the water already hot? you say you tested it on elec. If the water is hot, the gas side won't light.

mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:06pm
No fur, the water was cold overnight. I called the dealer, they want me to bring the small circuit board in to check. He said it should be clicking to light, and that most likely is the culprit. Ill let ya know 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:01pm
Turn the WH's switch off, this will reset the board.  The controller board will make some attempts to light then it will shut down.  If this doesn't reset it remove the multi-conductor plug from the controller board and reconnect it.  Try lighting with a match to make sure you have sufficient propane to the jet.  Since you ran out it may take it awhile to get back to it.  I've had this happen.  If you can light with a match make sure you're getting a spark from the igniter and adjust if necessary.  If you're not hearing the attempts to light "clicking" and not seeing a spark at the igniter could be the board.  If you far from the dealer it may be more cost effective to replace the board yourself.  Amazon sells them and it takes all of 5 minutes.  This was our situation with our larger TT when we brought it home.  Too much trouble to make an appointment (no telling how long that would have taken) hook it up, drive an hour, wait around only to be told the board was bad and the manufacturer would have to authorize the repair (no telling how long that would take), go back home, go back to pick it up and take it home.  ~#100.00 from Amazon was a bargin at that point.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:26pm
Ok, the board was no good. It wasn't sending a spark. They have a tester at the dealer and you can see the spark or not, when they test it. My board had almost no spark at all. They had a board in stock, and even though i'm out of warranty, they said they are going to put it thru.  Saved me 117.00 bucks and its running perfectly now. Thanks for the help and pod on!!
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 3:04pm
Just went through this very same issue a few days ago. It was the board and the dealer said there are a rash of these failing. My board got so hot it discolored the foam pad, glue attaching the pad and Styrofoam wrap on the heater tank its self. 
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 3:19pm
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 3:21pm
Sorry about double post.  My water heater didn't have 15 hrs on it when it went bad.  Same thing, click on click off.  Took the ckt board to a Camper Sales and they tested it as bad.  
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 3:31pm
MJLRPOD, Who is your dealer?

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:02pm
Dufours, ronahue.  They treat me very well so far.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>