Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTraveling into Canada

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traveling into Canada
    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 5:39pm
What is required to enter Canada for RV camping. I have a passport but not sure what all will be required. Planning a possible trip next year.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 6:02pm
Watch your groceries. Fruits, veggie's, meats. Traveling with a pet? All documentation.

Propane, extra fuel proper contained is good.

No firearms, please say you don't have any convictions in the US and traveling with alcohol or cigarettes, stay within the limit.

From my point of view, may cost more to stock up in Canada, but the food is better. I won't even good into how much better the beer is, especially the Craft Beer. Quebec brings some of the best cheese I have tasted. You go and hit a Sugar Fest, don't pass up! The Northern Maritimes are my fav so far, but I still have much more to explore!

In 40yrs of traveling in and out of the Maritimes/Quebec, the biggest issues I have had is coming home to the US. 

Do realize, the further north you go, the less english you will get. Do your best French and with all the laughs, you'll get there best English back. Lots of really good folk up there.

Enjoy your run!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 6:08pm
Are you ready:) From Good Sam.

Visitor Requirements:

U.S. Residents
Although a passport is the ideal identification, you do not require a passport or visa to enter Canada until June of 2008. Just make sure you carry identification to establish your citizenship such as a birth certificate and at least one ID card with photo. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, you should carry this certificate. Alien permanent residents of the U.S. must bring their “Green Card”.

If you are traveling with children, carry identification for each child. Customs officers look for missing children. Divorced parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents. Adults who are not parents or guardians should have notarized written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children.

All pets must be accompanied by their owners when entering Canada. Owners of dogs and cats (more than three months old) must bring a certificate issued by a licensed American or Canadian veterinarian clearly identifying the pet and certifying that it has been vaccinated against rabies sometime during the previous 36 months. Seeing-eye dogs are allowed into Canada without restriction. Canadian law also guarantees that anyone using seeing-eye dogs may bring them into restaurants, hotels and other businesses.

Returning to the U.S.
The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) will soon require all travelers to and from the Americas, the Caribbean and Bermuda to have a passport or other accepted form of documentation to enter or reenter the United States. The program will be rolled out in phases, according to this proposed schedule: June 1, 2008 - Passports will be required for anyone crossing at a land border, as well as by sea. (Note: As of January 23, 2007, passports will be required for all air travel, and most commercial sea travel, from within the Western Hemisphere for citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda, so if you plan to fly or cruise, you will need to have a passport sooner than if you plan to travel outside the United States only by RV or car.) For details call (877) 487-2778 or visit www.travel.state.gov.

U.S. Customs
The duty-free exemption, also called the personal exemption, is the total value of merchandise you may bring back to the United States without having to pay duty. You may bring back more than your $800 exemption, but you will have to pay duty on it. The duty-free exemptions apply if the items are for your personal or household use or intended to be given as bona fide gifts; they are in your possession, that is, they accompany you when you return to the United States - items to be sent later may not be included in your $800 duty-free exemption.

Alcoholic Beverages
One liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be included in your exemption if you are 21 years old; it is for your own use or as a gift; and it does not violate the laws of the state in which you arrive.

Food, Plant, and Animal Products
Bakery items, candy, chocolate, and cured cheese are generally admissible. Canned goods and goods in vacuum-packed jars (other than those containing meat or poultry products) are also generally admissible if being imported for personal use. Hard-cured cheese such as parmesan or cheddar are generally admissible, soft cheeses such as brie and soft curd cheese and cheese in water (ricotta, feta, etc.) are not. Fish, if it is for your personal use, is generally admissible. Condiments such as oil, vinegar, mustard, catsup, pickles, syrup, honey, jelly, jam, etc., are generally admissible. Fruits and vegetables grown in Canada are generally admissible, if they have labels identifying them as products of Canada. Currently, NO MEAT PRODUCTS FROM CANADA MAY ENTER THE U.S. without a permit. This includes frozen, cooked, canned or otherwise processed beef, lamb and veal. Hunter-harvested game is admissible from Canada for the traveler's personal use if accompanied with a permit. For more information on hunter-harvested game visit the USDA web site at www.aphis.usda.gov.

For questions on returning to the U.S., please contact U.S. Customs and Border Patrol at 877-227-5511 or www.cbp.gov for more specific information.

Bringing Goods into Canada for Personal Use
All goods must be declared at the time of your initial contact with Customs. If you are unsure about a particular item, declare it. Allowed "personal baggage" includes clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras, tape recorders and personal computers, as well as vehicles and boats. Food subject to limits, restrictions or not permitted: Perishable items, vegetables, meat and dairy products. Generally, 20 kilograms each of dairy products and meat/meat products of U.S. origin are permitted.

Alcohol: Visitors of age (19 in most provinces, or 18 in Alberta, Manitoba and Québec) may bring, duty-free, either 1.5 liters (52.8 ounces) of wine, 1.14 liters (40 ounces) of liquor, or 24 355-milliliter containers (12 ounces) each, or their equivalent, of beer or ale.

Tobacco: Visitors aged 18 in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Québec, the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut, and 19 in all other provinces, are allowed to bring up to 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 grams (7 ounces) of loose tobacco or 200 tobacco sticks duty-free.

Gifts: Visitors may bring gifts, worth up to $60 Canadian each, duty-free. Prescription drugs: Should be in original packaging with a label that specifies what they are and that they are being used under prescription. Or, carry a copy of the prescription or a letter from your doctor.

Firearms
Visitors (18 years of age or older) may temporarily import firearms by completing a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration and paying an annual fee of $50 Canadian. Restricted firearms (pistols or revolvers) require an Authorization to Transport in advance from a provincial chief firearms officer. Prohibited weapons or devices, including silencers and replica firearms, may not be imported. Mace or pepper spray designed for injuring, immobilizing or incapacitating any person are considered prohibited weapons and may not be taken into Canada.

Request a copy of the pamphlet, Importing a Firearm or Weapon into Canada, from a Canadian embassy, consulate or customs office, or contact Canadian Firearms Center at (800) 731-4000; www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca.

Driving in Canada
Make sure you have proof of insurance while driving in Canada. Prior to your trip, ask your insurance company for a Non-resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card. This indicates that you are covered with the minimum legal insurance requirements throughout Canada.

You must have proof of ownership for your car and any trailer you are hauling. The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) recommends that US visitors who travel into Canada by borrowed vehicle (from friends or family, etc.) obtain a written letter from the owner, containing the following information: •Description of the vehicle: make, model, and year.
•Vehicle Identification number (VIN).
•License plate number and state.
•Dates during which the vehicle is being borrowed.
•Name of registered owner, address, and contact telephone number.
•Name of individual(s) who is borrowing the vehicle, address, and telephone number.
•Statement from the registered owner of the vehicle indicating that the borrower has - permission to borrow the vehicle.
•Date of agreement.

Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 6:44pm
I really recommend you go to an official Canadian government site, like this seems to be: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

Good Sam's info above is obviously out of date at least regarding the info about needing a passport after 2008.  (That's accurate, but it calls into question the currency of their other statements.)

We took our Pod into Canada a year and a half ago.  It's past time to go back!  We had our dog with us, which had to have a form filled out by a vet.  I don't remember if they even asked to see it though.  They asked about guns, etc., but we had absolutely no trouble coming or going.

Other times, without the Pod, have not all been as easy.  I've had a couple of cursory inspections and one time I had some pointed questions about whether I'd ever been asked to leave Canada.  (I had not, but apparently someone with a similar name as mine had.  They finally accepted that it wasn't me.)  That was about the worst ever, but even that wasn't really a big deal.

You'd do well to check with your insurance company about coverage in Canada.  I don't think that will be an issue though.  Let your credit card companies know you're going to be there or you may find yourself not able to pay for gas when you need it.  Been there, done that.  Also, check your credit cards for ones that don't charge for currancy conversions.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 6:49pm
Oh, yeah.  Check your cell plan to see if you can use your phone in Canada without paying a fortune.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:01pm
In lieu of a full passport, a passport card is an acceptable identification for land and sea travel between the US and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. It is not good for air travel though. is easier to carry than the full passport since it fits into a wallet easier.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by StephenH

In lieu of a full passport, a passport card is an acceptable identification for land and sea travel between the US and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. It is not good for air travel though. is easier to carry than the full passport since it fits into a wallet easier.
And does anyone know if the new "Real ID" versions of various state drivers licenses are a full replacement for the passport card? I think that is what I heard. I think ours is coming out in the next few months.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:19pm
To enter Canada and re-enter the US you need a passport or, if traveling by land or water, a passport card.  Other forms of ID don't work.  It's best not even to try.  You will be disappointed.  

And if you have certain criminal convictions, such as a DUI, you may not be eligible to enter Canada.  Check with the Canadian Consulate web site.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:01am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

And does anyone know if the new "Real ID" versions of various state drivers licenses are a full replacement for the passport card? I think that is what I heard. I think ours is coming out in the next few months.[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention. Yesterday, I had some free time so, I decided to go ahead an renew my Driver's license a bit early. Though not yet required, I got the "Real ID" version. I took my birth certificate, Social Security card and 2 recent utility bills.

The only mention that I saw of passports is that they may be used as one of the "required" documents to support identification/citizenship.

https://www.in.gov/bmv/2577.htm

Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 3:20pm
In Vermont they still have a distinction between a "real " License and an 'enhanced' License which allows you to cross into Canada.  It is basically "money", they have a higher charge for the enhanced license. 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>