This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello all.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello all.
    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 4:08pm
As far as tow vehicles go, Its important to know what your intentions are. If you pull the pod three times a year, 15 miles away from home, a 3500 pound capacity will work good enough. Although some do it, taking a 3500 pound T.V. and traveling all over the country is probably going to be an issue. I'm sure some 3500 capacity vehicles are better than others. unfortunately it's a really murky subject. I for one think that running machinery at near capacity for extended periods of time is asking for problems. When I was faced with a similar decision, i opted to get a mid sized pickup. I have not regretted that decision.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 4:45pm
Wow timing is everything.  We just sold our practically new 180 in north NJ for $14,000 with $1000 in options.  A steal!! Anyway the closest RPOD dealer is Alpin Haus in Port Jervis.  He will be happy to sell you one with options for $20,000.  Or there is Stoltzfus in Adamstown PA or Crossroads Trailers in south Jersey that sell them for $15,500.  Only slightly more than Couch so no need to go to Ohio. And do not have an RPOD shipped. If FR finds out they void most warranty work becuase they cannot determine if the damage was due to improper shipping.  We bought at Stoltzfus and can recommend them.  For service you are in luck there is 84RV rentals in Sussex NJ that will do factory authorized repairs.  We have had work there and there was no cost for warranty work.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
John4TA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:37pm
Yes big question to know.

Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:55am
Welcome!

Personally I think 3500 is a bit too close to the edge.
But I feel your pain. I just spent 19,000$ for a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado.
The good news is it has the roof rack channels and enough size to handle the load.

So a couple of hundred dollars worth of aero bars and hardware and I can bring my Kayaks.

I know people have posted about towing up and down the East coast in a Dodge Grand Caravan with 3500 lb capacity. But I did not see if they posted their actual weight?

I do know once you start packing it is easy to let the weight climb up fast. I'd rather pay a little more, have a little bit bigger vehicle with excess capacity. But that is me. Cautious.
John4TA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:30am
Looks like we will be going with a larger vehicle. Thanks all for the input.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by John4TA

Looks like we will be going with a larger vehicle. Thanks all for the input.

Sounds like a smart decision to me! You'll love the 180 as we do too!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
John4TA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:49pm
ok post here or move for more views?  We are now looking at $20,000 on a vehicle, Nissan Frontier, used with 17,000 miles. Have a dealer in N.J. 2 hours away set at $16,500 on a 2019 R pod 180. We need to include all taxes, insurance and so on.  My question is ...for $40,000..Do you all enjoy the TV experience that much to invest so much money? I see it as getting to places I will only see on the ground. Fly there and add the expenses. Me? meet America as I will never see from flying over it! Thoughts please...I need to know!!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:27pm
I spent close to that on a 2010 Nissan Frontier LE Crew Cab 4x4 with factory tow package last December after we had an accident with our previous TV, a 2016 Ford Escape with factory tow package rated at 3500 lbs. The Frontier had a little shy of 75,000 miles when we bought it. Saturday, it turned over 100,000 miles. The Frontier has a 6100 lb tow rating and has the wiring to just plug in an adapter harness and a brake controller which is much easier than the installation in the Escape which did not have the 7-pole round Bargman connector which had to be added as well as the additional wiring.

The 2019 RP-180 sounds like a good price. It is about what I paid for our 2016 RP-179, plus tax, title, license, Equal-i-zer hitch, dealer prep fees, etc. We do like it. I don't like flying anymore since I don't like being treated like I am a terrorist every time I go to the airport. While all the driving isn't always enjoyable, I do like seeing America at ground level. Even more, I enjoy spending nights in my own bed, not some motel bed. I don't know if you can do a financial calculation on this. You either want to do it or you don't. If you do, then go for it. If you are unsure, you may want to consider whether you will use the TV and R-Pod or whether it will be an expensive decoration for your driveway. In our case, we have used ours extensively and will continue to do so as long as we can.

Our next trip will be from NC to AZ to visit our younger daughter and grandchildren, then up to Utah to visit our older daughter and children, then up to Yellowstone National Park for a short visit (we have reservations at the Pony Express RV Park in West Yellowstone, just outside the park), then back home to prepare for the summer mission trip up to Vermont followed by family visiting in NY, NJ, and friends in PA and MD on the way home. Then in October, we have reservations for the 10 Anniversary R-Pod rally hosted by the Kentucky Mini-Mini. So, three major trips this year plus possibly some local camping trips if possible.

I hope this gives you some perspective on your situation.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
John4TA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:09pm
Stephen,
  My thoughts exactly. I want to see this great nation at ground level. Add in the cost of flying, the hassle,

hotel, rental car, meals and TT will get me there in a more relaxed way..OK more inspiration needed!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:54am
I would say that if you came to this forum to be talked out of your decision, you may have come to the wrong place. OTOH, go to a "motelers R Us forum" and you might get a different answer! Star
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>