Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello all.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DavMar View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello all.
    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:02am
John4TA, Drag on anytime this is what this forum is for I think? Tongue

I ran across this on Forest River site about their warranty some here might find interesting. The whole of it can be read here:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/downloads/TowableWarranty.pdf

Follow it down to near the bottom of the first page where the paragraph starts Purchasers Obligations. Which states you can contact the warrantor (Forest River) to obtain a list of authorized service location you can take your Pod into for warranty work. If this is correct which can be verified by a phone call to Forest River that would mean you might buy your Pod else where but you can get your Pod warranty service done at the dealer closer to your home. Just like you can when you buy a new car and if your local authorize Forest River dealer service department tries to jerk you around maybe another phone call to Forest River corporate legal department would be all you need to do to correct any local dealer "misconceptions"?

I'm not a lawyer but its is interesting food for thought!

As for insurance cost call your local agent and then also call someone like Geico to compare rates. I'd say somewhere around $350 to $400 a year if I had to make a guess, each State is different.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:58pm
I would not suggest driving 10 hours each way to save $930.  The gas cost (towing will cut your mileage in half or more)and a motel stay overnight plus meals for 2 days and  then towing home for 10 straight hours for your first time on day 2 would not be fun. Think about it realistically.

Just my opinion-go with whichever the closer dealer that you feel most comfortable with.  check out their service department and warranty policies -both of these will help point to the right place to buy.

good luck
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
John4TA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:43pm
Again..TT insurance cost?

John4TA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 7:41pm
I know this is dragging on. The info for me has been great being I am new to it all. We are going with the 190 and working with 3 dealers. Price difference is $930.00. Draw back is save the money and drive 10 hours one way to pick up or ..the other 2 are same price and 2 hours or 3 hours. Question is ( once again) We need all the tow gear hooked up..What should I expect on parts and labor with all talked about in this post? Would a 20 hour round trip, first outing be worth it? Have the dealer there install everything needed? Again..thank you so much for the knowledge..You all will be first to see the new setup!!

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:18am
That I will. Smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by StephenH

I just ordered the Swift Cub, which is a new model that uses chains instead of jack bars to hold and raise the spring bars (less expensive to manufacture, so lower in price). They are doing a test market special and selling it for $1670 which is $920 off of their regular price. Shipping is $125. The Hensley Cub (older model) is available for $1970. The normal price is $2590. It is a lot of money, but having had one accident where the Equal-i-zer was not adequate to stop the sway from the wind pushing us on ice, I have been looking at this design which is supposed to eliminate even the possibility of trailer-induced sway.

Sorry I missed your post on a different thread and you had to repeat this information for my benefit but thank you! You will have to please post your impressions after you have used the Swift Club for a couple months.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:00am
I just ordered the Swift Cub, which is a new model that uses chains instead of jack bars to hold and raise the spring bars (less expensive to manufacture, so lower in price). They are doing a test market special and selling it for $1670 which is $920 off of their regular price. Shipping is $125. The Hensley Cub (older model) is available for $1970. The normal price is $2590. It is a lot of money, but having had one accident where the Equal-i-zer was not adequate to stop the sway from the wind pushing us on ice, I have been looking at this design which is supposed to eliminate even the possibility of trailer-induced sway.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:44am
Originally posted by StephenH

If you are able, probably the best hitch available is the Hensley Cub, but it is very expensive. However, I just called and found out that a special test market offer is available that reduces the price significantly.

Stephen,
I'm always interested in anything that can improve our towing and your post is the first I've heard of the Hensley Cub which looks very interesting. So can you let us know what general price range Hensley is wanting for their WD anti-sway hitch?

Dave
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 7:46am
I interpreted the tow package as that for the vehicle. I would agree that the Fastway e2 is a popular choice. I have the Equal-i-zer 4-point sway control hitch and it has served us well. Some others have used the Andersen No-Sway hitch. It has the advantage of being much lighter than either of the two above.

If you are able, probably the best hitch available is the Hensley Cub, but it is very expensive. However, I just called and found out that a special test market offer is available that reduces the price significantly. Anyone interested could call Hensley Manufacturing (800) 410-6580 for details. I am very much considering going for it, especially in view of the one accident I had when we hit ice with a strong cross-wind where the Equal-i-zer was not able to stop the wind from pushing the trailer and starting a sway condition that ended up with us facing the wrong way in the passing lane of I80 in Wyoming.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:49pm
Now your opening a can of worms on what is the best tow package. Wink
For brake controller my vote goes to the Tekonsha P3

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/brake-controllers/proportional-controllers/trailer-brake-control-proportional/TzaIxkVx1cI5XOy!osRB55TR19SXShj4

For weight distribution anti-sway bar hitch my recommendation would be the Fastway e2

http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch

I'm sure others here will agree to disagree on my recommendations. Smile

wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>