Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello all.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DavMar View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello all.
    Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:25pm
Richand Cindy, and everyone else on this thread I hope you don't mind that I have moved this discussion to the warranty section of this forum where I think it really belongs and is more appropriate. I want to apologize to the OP of this thread, John4TA I believe it is?, for taking this discussion way off on a different direction then his original questions. It's also good to know that we all can agree to disagree at times and be civil about our discussions and still be a community that respects one and the other. Thank you and again forgive me if I did get this discussion thread off course. Just ask my wife who can confirm that I've been known to get lost more then once! Confused
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 8:11am
Dave.  While it sounds as a no brainer not to turn away warranty work it is done quite often.  Some dealers hourly rates are higher than what FR will pay them.  So according to these dealers they lose money on warranty work.  But of course they want to keep their customers happy and do the work.  But for an outsider driving onto the lot and asking for warranty work there is a big risk they will be turned down and FR will say nothing to that dealer if he did not sell it.  My closest RPOD dealer said he will not do any warranty work because he has too much work for his own customers so I had to look elsewhere.  Also that is why many people report having to pay for warranty work.  They are paying the difference between what the dealer wants to charge and what FR will reimburse the dealer.  Keystone brand is worse, they pay dealers the least.  Just a fact of RV life.  So it is better to know in advance so one can decide if it is worth it to save money not buying locally
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
openrangeowner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by DavMar

Originally posted by Richand Cindy

While it is true that FR will provide a list of recommended service centers, RVs are NOT cars.  FR cannot force a dealer that you did not buy from to make warranty repairs. And FR says on all of their printed materials BUY LOCALLY.

Maybe what we need to do is take this discussion to the warranty section of the forum? Your right Richand Cindy RV's are not cars and they don't have the same consumer protections as cars do but..... I am willing to say I would think that a RV business which has a franchise with Forest River to sell their products also has honor their, Forest River, warranty whether you buy the product from that RV business or not. Just as other have stated here and I too currently have my Pod at an independent RV shop. That is authorized to file for warranty repairs with Forest River, which is just one of the many manufacture this RV repair business files for its customers. Now whether Forest River will pay for the repair agreeing that its a defect in manufacturer or deny the claim saying it wasn't there fault is the chance you take with either an independent or dealer RV repair shop. Just as I will agree if you buy your Pod from one dealer and then take it to your "local" dealer that dealer can put you at the back of their repair line. Though I think they would have a hard time denying your warranty repair and telling you take take your camper elsewhere. Remember this like cars any RV business is make allot of money on repairs, warranty repairs or not so why would they refuse to fix your camper because you didn't buy it there? That would be a bone head move by that RV dealer telling to take your money elsewhere and possibly losing a potential client for service and future sales.... just food for thought. Smile

I purchased our first camper (a Forest River Wildcat) in 2005 from RVWholesalers.  The local dealers were $7k more for the same camper.  I did have a warranty issue with one of the landing gear legs - took it to a place to have it fixed (yes they gave me the same bs about not purchasing it there) - I told them I would pay out of pocket for the repair (after verifying the Lippert would reimburse me).  Paid $300, problem was fixed and I eventually was reimbursed.

Only issue I ever had with that camper after 5 years of ownership.

Second camper I purchased was an Open Range - purchased it locally (local dealer was within $1000 of Kitsmiller in Michigan).  Had no warranty issues within the first 2 years.  After 4 years I had a slide that was not sealed correctly and had delimitation.  Drove it to the factory (Open Range) and offered to pay to have it repaired.  They ended up working on it for a week and replaced the slide's outer wall completely. Also did numerous fixes to correct similar issues elsewhere - they did not charge me anything .... local dealer wanted about $5K to repair it.

Another item needed repairing (awning) so I took it to an RV repair place that does not sell RVs.  They fixed it and did not charge me.  I paid them $100 for their work because I knew they would not get much labor reimbursement (awning motor was bad).  Win-win.  I decided that I would let them work on any new camper I get versus the local dealers.  They work with most manufacturers.
Prior camper:
www.openrangeowners.com
Now looking to purchase an R-Pod 190
openrangeowner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I just ordered the Swift Cub, which is a new model that uses chains instead of jack bars to hold and raise the spring bars (less expensive to manufacture, so lower in price). They are doing a test market special and selling it for $1670 which is $920 off of their regular price. Shipping is $125. The Hensley Cub (older model) is available for $1970. The normal price is $2590. It is a lot of money, but having had one accident where the Equal-i-zer was not adequate to stop the sway from the wind pushing us on ice, I have been looking at this design which is supposed to eliminate even the possibility of trailer-induced sway.
I am going to be in contact with a Hensley factory rep tomorrow - he mentioned this to me and I will take him up on this offer even though we have not purchased our travel trailer yet (looking either at the R-Pod 190 or the Flagstaff E-Pro E19FD - both are around 3000 lbs dry.)  I am going from a 1 ton Chevy Duramax towing a 40' Open Range 5th wheel to a Toyota Highlander towing a travel trailer.  Never had any towing issues with the Duramax even though the 5 slide 40' 5th wheel was at the top of its limit weight-wise (for tongue weight).

Prior camper:
www.openrangeowners.com
Now looking to purchase an R-Pod 190
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Richand Cindy

While it is true that FR will provide a list of recommended service centers, RVs are NOT cars.  FR cannot force a dealer that you did not buy from to make warranty repairs. And FR says on all of their printed materials BUY LOCALLY.

Maybe what we need to do is take this discussion to the warranty section of the forum? Your right Richand Cindy RV's are not cars and they don't have the same consumer protections as cars do but..... I am willing to say I would think that a RV business which has a franchise with Forest River to sell their products also has honor their, Forest River, warranty whether you buy the product from that RV business or not. Just as other have stated here and I too currently have my Pod at an independent RV shop. That is authorized to file for warranty repairs with Forest River, which is just one of the many manufacture this RV repair business files for its customers. Now whether Forest River will pay for the repair agreeing that its a defect in manufacturer or deny the claim saying it wasn't there fault is the chance you take with either an independent or dealer RV repair shop. Just as I will agree if you buy your Pod from one dealer and then take it to your "local" dealer that dealer can put you at the back of their repair line. Though I think they would have a hard time denying your warranty repair and telling you take take your camper elsewhere. Remember this like cars any RV business is make allot of money on repairs, warranty repairs or not so why would they refuse to fix your camper because you didn't buy it there? That would be a bone head move by that RV dealer telling to take your money elsewhere and possibly losing a potential client for service and future sales.... just food for thought. Smile
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 10:21am
While it is true that FR will provide a list of recommended service centers, RVs are NOT cars.  FR cannot force a dealer that you did not buy from to make warranty repairs. And FR says on all of their printed materials BUY LOCALLY.  That is why there is such a big price difference among dealers.  Even if a local dealer will accept warranty work they can put you at the bottom of the list and you can wait weeks for an appointment.  If you are serious about buying far away to save money do a test.  Get the names of the closer dealers/service enters and call their service departments.  Tell them something is broken (water pump, water heater, battery not charging etc) and see if and when you can bring it in for warranty  service.  If they agree to do it, can schedule it in a reasonable time and there is no charge since it is under warranty, then you got yourself a local service center and buy the RPOD wherever you can save money (vs the travel expense)
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Vector1952 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:03pm
I bought a 2010 pathfinder 4.0L 6 cyl 2 and a half yrs ago with the tow package and wiring harness. It had a 4 pin set up so I had my trailer dealer make it 7 pin...To be honest I have never seen a pathfinder without a tow package...Are you sure your 2014 pathfinder doesn't have it...I have a e2 fastway weight distribution hitch installed for around $450.  I purchased an rpod 179 and love it..Good luck with your decision, welcome to the group Smile

Xxxx7
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:18pm
+1 to Dave's remarks about authorized service locations. I just had a fender replaced as a courtesy warranty item. There is an authorized repairman about an hour's drive from me. This is not a dealer, but an independent repairman. He was the closest one to me.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by John4TA

Again..TT insurance cost?

No one can tell you what your insurance can cost.. You need to talk to your agent, or shop it.. Everyone's situation is different.
John4TA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 5:59pm
Again, Thank you!  Got an estimate from a local shop for setting up the hitch..Could hit $ 2000.00 can that be right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>