Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Member - Event Date: 15 Apr 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New Member
    Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 2:14pm
Greetings from Central Oregon.  We recently purchased our R-178. Had our first “break-in” trip two weekends ago.  After years of tent camping, this was a whole new level of luxury. We selected a state camp ground about an hour from our home.  The weather was, cool and windy, like 40 mph winds that first night.  Yep, we were rocking and rolling but warm and dry.  I could not have been happier with how our first experience went.  We have five more trips planned this summer and can’t wait to go boon-dogging.  It was largely due to you tube hints and this forum that everything went as smoothly as it did.  I am pulling the trailer with my 2008 Highlander Hybrid.  Safe travels everyone. 
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 3:30pm
Glad to have you Steve H. The 178 is a great unit, if that had been available when we purchased our 177 back in 2011 that would be the one we would have purchased.  Wow, 40 mph winds, glad you didn't have the r-dome erected.  We had that happen to us once with those kind of winds, came up out of nowhere and surprised it didn't tear.  It acted like a sail, thought we may go parasailing with that thing whipping around but we were fortunate it didn't.  We normally boon-dock as well, hopefully your next outings will have less windy conditions!  This is a great forum, much to be learned here.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
openrangeowner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Steve H

Greetings from Central Oregon.  We recently purchased our R-178. Had our first “break-in” trip two weekends ago.  After years of tent camping, this was a whole new level of luxury. We selected a state camp ground about an hour from our home.  The weather was, cool and windy, like 40 mph winds that first night.  Yep, we were rocking and rolling but warm and dry.  I could not have been happier with how our first experience went.  We have five more trips planned this summer and can’t wait to go boon-dogging.  It was largely due to you tube hints and this forum that everything went as smoothly as it did.  I am pulling the trailer with my 2008 Highlander Hybrid.  Safe travels everyone. 
Great to hear about your first 'break-in' trip.  How is your Hybrid Highlander doing as a tow vehicle?  I am looking to purchase an R-pod and also have a Highlander Hybrid so I am curious as to your experience and recommendations.
Prior camper:
www.openrangeowners.com
Now looking to purchase an R-Pod 190
Steve H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 6:11pm
We have not had any issues with the Highlander.  It’s tow rating is right at the max with a fully loaded R-Pod.  Without the trailer, 26-27 mpg.  With the trailer, 11-12 mpg.  I did discover that because the electric motor is engaged when moving slowly, and only the electric motor, backing slowly into a camp site needs to be done efficiently. Otherwise the batteries will over heat and you get to park it and let it cool off.  
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 7:15pm
Welcome to the group! Congrats on your 178!!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 6:59am
Welcome!

New here myself, our R-pod 189 won't be here till early june.
Just bought our TV, Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado 2012 with 90,000 miles on it.
Getting an extended warrentee for it I think.  1,000 $ a year for 4 years seems like pretty reasonable insurance that nothing major will go wrong while on the road.

Nice looking rig, can't wait till I can post pictures of mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply