R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire Report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Report
    Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 11:34am
Recently I decided to replace the tires on the Pod with the Carlisle Radial/Trail HD (manufacture #6H04561) which have a higher speed rating of M and higher load range of D then the stock tires. Both the wife and I noticed on the first trip that we could feel less "bounce" and the camper pulled much smoother. So all in all we both think it was worth the upgrade and I especially feel so when at those times I'm traveling 70 mph. plus pulling the Pod down the interstate slab. I hope our observations may help others who are thinking of upgrading their tires.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 11:50am
Good to know Dave.  I replaced ours a year ago after the originals had 20K + miles on them.  Tread still looked like new but furpod told me to replace as they were nearly 7 years old.  I replaced with the same C load range tire and haven't experienced any 'bounce' as you have relayed in our 7+ years with our 177.  Also we don't go over 65 (not in a hurry) and the 177 weighs in at only a smidge over 2400 lbs empty, so maybe that is why we haven't had any issues in that department.  Our 177 most like weighs less than most other 177's because we special ordered ours: no A/C, no microwave/convection oven, no entertainment system.  We normally boondock, as in national parks, national or state forest areas where electricity is not available so didn't see the need to have those 'luxeries.'  Haven't regretted that decision either.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 12:34pm
I think people get hung up one the load range (typically C or D), when that does not actually indicate the actual load the capacity of the tire(s).

For example, our RP179 HRE came with "special" tires that are, in fact, load range C. However, they are rated for 2350 lbs, which is higher than some load range D tires.

They are ST235/75R15, which you can't buy through normal channels. When it comes time to replace them, we will have to buy through normal channels, and it appears that we will have to get ST225/75R15 (radial ply) or ST225/75D15 (bias ply). The smaller tire will have a lower weight range, so at that time it appears that we will probably switch to load range D to get the weight rating up into a zone in which we will feel more comfortable.

I tend to think that the bias ply will be a better choice because of the thicker sidewalls. I think they will be a bit less "squishy" too.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 1:25pm
We replaced our tires with the same spec tire as it came with.  I am with JATO: no bounce, squirm, olr any other unpleasnt thing.

The important thing is that you are pleased with your purchase.  Enjoy your camper!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 1:59pm
I went with Carlisle Load Range D tires on my non HRE 178, considerable improvement. Just fact.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 4:53pm
Its good to know others have seen improvements with up grading their tires speed rating and load range. I wasn't so concerned with load range but I was with speed rating. The higher the rating the cooler the tires will run and when you only have two meeting the road I would think that you'd want to keep them as cool as possible to help avoid blow outs. As for the "bouncing" we experienced I think in part it was the old tires that came with the trailer and part that our TV is a pick up truck which doesn't have allot of weight in the rear.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 8:40pm
We also notices a smoother ride with the change of C to D load range.  Not a big difference, but certainly noticeable.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 6:58am
I also have the same Carlisle tires. I actually changed them out within a couple hundred miles of buying the pod. I picked it up from the dealer and drove it around for a few hours to get some experience towing it. I then saw a few "blowout" posts and that started me thinking. I took it out again, and I just felt like I was doing something dangerous. I went to a local tire house and asked the guy to take a look, and tell me what he thought. He looked, kinda chuckled and said, well, I can honestly say I have never heard of the brand. He didn't try to push anything on me, but I already knew when I pulled in I was getting new tires. I asked him if he had anything to replace them, He said he had the Carlisles. It could all be in my head, but, when I left there, The pod pulled "feelably" better. And I definately know what your talking about with "no more bounce" 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:45am
There's definitely less bounce in our 179 since we went to the Carlisles. They also provide some added peace of mind because they don't bulge nearly as much as the factory tires did.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
 Post Reply Post Reply