R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 heater issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 heater issue
    Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:57am
Hello guys/gals
Out camping in our 179 for the second time and after our first trip the pod went to the dealer for a electrical water heater issue. The problem was it would blow the breaker but we did fine just running it in propane mode. The dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong and in fact now the heater no longer "pops" the breaker. However now the propane mode wont work. It is getting propane, I can manually light it but it only stays lit for a few seconds. What isn't working is the automatic ignightor and I suspect this is why it shuts down right after lighting. Any ideas?
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 3:33pm
The igniter doesn't fire once the flame has started because it's not needed once combustion starts, so it's either a gas flow issue (not enough gas or improper gas/air mix) or a sensing/control issue.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 5:14pm
Probably didn't explain it well enough. When you flip the inside switch you hear the gas valve open, propane flows but the ignightor doesn't fire. To check propane flow, I first blead the line at the heater (unit had been off and in storage for 7 months so I wanted to purge the air out). I then flipped the switch and noticed no clicking sound of an ignightor. I then manually lit the tank and it completely fired for about a 3 count but then would shut off. My guess is there is something wrong with the ignightor which is causing the tank to shut off the gas feed? I have checked the fuse box but all are good.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:03pm
Just guessing, you may have a spider web in the thing the flame comes out of.  (What is that called?)  The flame won't stay lit if the thermocouple is (edit:) NOT hot enough. 

I'm surprised you can even light the thing manually.... 

When you flip the gas switch on the wall it doesn't necessarily start the water heater instantly.  And it will try to light a time or two or three and then wait a while to try again.  Leave it alone (and on) for a while and see what happens.  If you got a flame even for 3 seconds, it's apparently not that the gas line needs purging.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:35pm
Yeah, looked for a web first,nada then purged the line. If you take a lighter and place the flame in the open space next to the exit point for the gas line you can manually light the unit. What I'm trying to recall, isn't there suposed to be a clicking sound coming from the ignightor? Mine isnt making that, I'm wondering if there's a "safety " device that if the ignightor doesn't fire does the system shut off the gas? This appears to be what's going on. So what I trying to figure is why isn't the ignightor firing? Anyone had this issue?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 7:35am
Just a note.. or two..

I bet money the dealership changed a burned out water heating element.

The water heater isn't already hot is it? The DSI won't light or spark if it is.

And yes, if the thermostat calls for heat, and it doesn't light, the thermocouple will shut off the gas.
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 7:51pm
Thanks for the replies. The water was cold when I discovered I had a problem and I  probably should have mentioned that the DSI fault light does come on after the 3rd try. I'm convinced there's something wrong with the ignitor as you can hear the gas valve open and propane flow for the 3 count but then the valve shuts off.  I did run the short trip by flipping the elect switch and heating the water with the Honda 2000i. Frustrating. 
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:47pm
Here is a link to the furnace service manual

Suburban Furnaces Service Manual
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 6:53am
It's a water heater issue. Heartland has a pretty good troubleshooting guide, LP issues start on page 11, is viewable here:

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Troubleshooting%20Guides%20and%20Tips/Water%20Heater%20Troubleshooting%20-%20Suburban%20V1.3.pdf
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:44am
Awesome guys!  Thanks!!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>