Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 6:03pm
Glad I found this forum, we currently have a 30 foot 5th wheel on a seasonal site. We are looking to down size and do some travelling. We are looking for something we can pull with our Dodge Grand Caravan. I have browsed the forum for discussions on this topic and see more negative than positive comments. The van has a tow capacity of 3500 pounds. We are interested in the RP 189 which weighs in at 2773 with a tongue weight of 281 pounds, obviously these are dry weights. It will be just the wife and I and we will be travelling light.  I had the opportunity today to have a test drive using the dealers Caravan, in my opinion it pulled and handled very well. The van was setup with tranny cooler, brake controller, weight distributing hitch and sway bar. I would be interested in hearing from other R Pod owners towing with Grand Caravan.  
CapnC
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 6:09pm
Am sure Leo will chime in as he has towed with his Grand Caravan for many years.  I would think you would be ok on flat areas but would not recommend it in mountainous areas such as the Rockies, I think you would be pressing your luck.  You would be much happier and safer (as well as your TV) with getting a rig that has at least a 5000 lb. tow capacity.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 6:27pm
Welcome to the group! We have towed our 179 with our Dodge Grand Caravan for several years. From the Mountains in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Pennsylvania, down the east Coast with plenty of power and have gotten fairly good miles per gallon.
We did recently upgrade to an F-150 with a v-8, to handle heading out west to a lot larger mountains and up towards Alaska.
I think you should be okay. We did not use a WDH or any sway bars. And never had an problems. Just be cautious of speed and wind.
Feel free to ask any specific questions, will try to answer them from our experience.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply