R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntro - Potential R-Pod 190?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro - Potential R-Pod 190?
    Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:11am
Installed the Jack-it our 179 just a few weeks ago.  Haven't used it on the road but had no issues with the installation. 
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Vector1952 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:49pm
Hi, welcome to the group!  I liked the new model with the horseshoe dinette, not much storage though. I have the R179 because I love the rear kitchen (could not survive with no counter space).  The storage in my model is huge for us.  The wet bath is not an issue usually take showers in the campground. Use my rdome all the time (takes us 20 mins. to put up) increases living area especially with the grand children. We also installed a wdh for our 4L Nissan Pathfinder...Good luck with your purchase, everyone has different needs that's why there are different models.
Xxxx7
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 8:50am
welcome to the Forum.
Just a few things to add--
We have visited both Forast River factories(Elkhart and Oregon) and while they did not have "organized" tours, we had a private tour in each factory-very informative and a great way to spend some time. let them know in advance when you are coming. sometimes they are not making R Pods, but other Fr models.

the 2 clean outs-do the black tank firsr and follow with the gray tank. this helps clean out your drain line hose.

we use a 100 watt Renogy suitcase solar panel setup.  this keeps our 2 golf cart 6volt batteries fully charged.

we started pulling our p[od with a chevy Astro van and found out it really was maxed out.  We switched to a Ford Expedition and love it.  Been cross country several times. Would suggest the larger tow vehicle if possible.

we love our rdome if set up for several days.  I made a simple 12x16 tarp to use for quick/easy setup.

You will find lots of good people, mamzing mods and true experiences on this forum.

Travel safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 10:23am
Welcome to the group.  We have the 190 and love it.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
ZuBrew View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Pod People

welcome to the Forum.
Just a few things to add--
We have visited both Forast River factories(Elkhart and Oregon) and while they did not have "organized" tours, we had a private tour in each factory-very informative and a great way to spend some time. let them know in advance when you are coming. sometimes they are not making R Pods, but other Fr models.

the 2 clean outs-do the black tank firsr and follow with the gray tank. this helps clean out your drain line hose.

we use a 100 watt Renogy suitcase solar panel setup.  this keeps our 2 golf cart 6volt batteries fully charged.

we started pulling our p[od with a chevy Astro van and found out it really was maxed out.  We switched to a Ford Expedition and love it.  Been cross country several times. Would suggest the larger tow vehicle if possible.

we love our rdome if set up for several days.  I made a simple 12x16 tarp to use for quick/easy setup.

You will find lots of good people, mamzing mods and true experiences on this forum.

Travel safe
Vann

Vann, 
Can you send me more information on which Renogy suitcase solar panel you use along with the charge controller details too?  And only 1 solar panel?  Thanks,
Craig
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 4:03pm
Welcome to the group, I suggest you carefully read your owners manual for towing.  We have a Venza which also has 3500 capacity, however our manual states clearly that that assumes 2 people, factory tow package and hitch equipment, so in essence a clear 3500 pounds trailer weight.  Be interesting to know exactly what your manual says.  By the way Toyota Canada confirmed the wording.
Susan and Norm
2016 Venza, V6 factory tow
2018 RP179
JLM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 12:42pm
Where can you get those plastic suction cup things that are supposed to stick your r-dome to the side of the camper?
jlm
openrangeowner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by NAP1947

Welcome to the group, I suggest you carefully read your owners manual for towing.  We have a Venza which also has 3500 capacity, however our manual states clearly that that assumes 2 people, factory tow package and hitch equipment, so in essence a clear 3500 pounds trailer weight.  Be interesting to know exactly what your manual says.  By the way Toyota Canada confirmed the wording.
The Highlander Brakes, Frame and suspension are built to handle 5000 lbs of towing on ALL models.  The limiting factor is the fact that the Hybrid system adds weight to the car (about 500-700 lbs) depending on trim level.  The rear suspension on the Hybrid is stiffer and upgraded to account for this.  

1305 - 300 lbs = 1005 lbs (taking into account 2 of us)
1005 - (17 gallons x 8 lbs/gallon) = 869 lbs

So subtract the hitch weight (60 lbs) and tongue weight (350 lbs) = 459 lbs

I have 459 lbs margin before adding gear to the car.  So if I have 100 lbs of gear that is 359 lbs left ... so I am good there.

Tongue weight of the R-Pod 190 is 336 lbs (so I am good there unless I add additional load).  I plan on using a weight-distributing hitch with sway control.  That will add some tongue weight but also reduce tongue weight depending on how it is adjusted.

The RPods I am looking at show a dry weight of 2900 lbs (maybe less if I do the RDome instead of the Thule awning.)

So I have 600 lbs do deal with --> (battery 50-80 lbs), 36 lbs for a full propane tank, bike rack (30 lbs with 2-30lb bikes) - lets take 200 lbs for these items which leaves about 400 lbs max. 

I am still not at the limit of my vehicle and from a handling standpoint the Highlander will pull and brake a 5000 lbs camper in the regular gas version 

Mine puts out the following (gas engine 231 HP and and 215 ft lbs torque alone).  Add in the Hybrid system (Front motors put out 167 HP and 247 ft lbs torque) and (Rear motor puts out 68 HP and 103 ft lbs torque).  Overall I will not be having HP/Torque issues on flat ground - climbing a mountain would be much different.  I am on the east coast and intend to travel within 3-4 hours from our house, so not climbing mountains with this setup.  

I will also never carry water in the camper on the highway (never have).  

The true test is how it actually performs - not too many examples of Highlanders as towing vehicles, but from a warranty standpoint I am not exceeding ANY of the capacities.  Coming from a 2005 Duramax 1 ton I am fully aware of what a truck towing vehicle gives you versus a modified minivan (Highlander).

This combination is meant for weekend trips with my wife, not month long cross-country travel like we used to do.

Curb Weight 4,861 lbs. (Limited & Platinum Package)

GVWR 6,270 lbs. (Limited & Platinum Package)

Payload 1,305 lbs. (Limited & Platinum Package)

Maximum Towing Weight 3,500 lbs.

Maximum Tongue Weight 350 lbs.

Prior camper:
www.openrangeowners.com
Now looking to purchase an R-Pod 190
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:42pm
We purchased ours at Meijer, (houseware section) but you could also find them at any hardware store as well.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 6:22pm
I'm considering the Highlander to tow my 179. All the mid-sized SUV's generically say they can tow 5000 lbs. I'd be interested in starting a discussion on towing capacity and whether these SUV's are worthy or not. I just got the camper out of winter storage (current tow vehicle is a late model ford expedition). I have the 2015 179 model. I'm planning on weighing the camper this week at a local landscaping scale to know what the dry weight is. The specs say my 179 unloaded should weigh 2630 lbs. I know I have to add everything else - hitch weight, fridge, oven, battery, etc,etc.   Just would like opinions on the so called SUV 5000 lb. claim. Thanks
mac
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>