R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntro - Potential R-Pod 190?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro - Potential R-Pod 190?
    Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 1:34pm
Hi R-Pod Owners,

My name is Mark - I recently sold our 2010 Open Range 399BHS and our 2005 Chevy Duramax.  When I purchased the Open Range in 2009, I started the Open Range Owners forum (www.openrangeowners.com) after seeing there was very little information about the company or their campers at the time.  My wife and our 2 daughters (now teenagers) took many cross-country trips in that 5th wheel.

My wife and I felt that given the increased activities of our daughters and the inability to get time for the whole family to take long trips (3-4 weeks at a time) - it was time to sell the Open Range and truck.  Ended up selling them both to a family that wants to full-time in the camper, so it worked out well for all of us.

Since my wife and I love camping and want to bridge the gap between now and retirement (another 6-10 years away) we thought we would look for a camper that we could tow with our 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid.  The R-Pod 190 seems to fill our needs well and would allow us to bring our daughters along if they were available.  We would mostly do local trips, maybe long weekends, state parks, etc.  Our previous camper was 40' long to we were limited on where we could camp.

We want to learn as much as possible about R-Pods and look forward to getting to know the R-Pod community here. 

A couple of questions (I will be searching the forum for these as well Wink):

Towing Vehicle - if anyone has information related to towing with a Highlander Hybrid we would be interested in learning more - the brakes, suspension, body are the same as the gas version that can tow 5,000 lbs.  I believe the 3500 lbs tow limit is based on the Hybrid system - specifically the electric motors that act as the transmission.  I realize that there is much more to towing besides tongue weight and camper weight, so whatever we get we will tow with a WDH with sway control.  I will be adding a Redarc brake controller with a 7 pin harness/plug (car came with factory tow package and 4 pin plug).

Thule awning versus R-Pod R-Dome?

Adding Jack-It or another bike rack to the camper jack for 2 bikes?

Why separate sewer outlets for grey and black (our Open Range had 4 sewer tanks and 2 outlets - pain to dump)?

Battery (group 24 AGM versus Lithium Ion) weight/capacity?

Solar on roof or carry 200 watts of flexible panels to plug into Zamp plug (maybe add a controller if I get serious)?

Mounting a Surge/voltage protector in the R-Pod 190 (hardwire)?

Looking forward to reading all about the DIY/Mods - I did tons of these with our Open Range.  My favorite was creating my own Auto Level system with a Raspberry PI (it worked well) ....

Interested in Rallys that would be near-by.

Does Forest River have plant/factory tours where the R-Pods are produced (in Indiana)?

Glad to be a member!  I am in Cooksville, MD.

Prior camper:
www.openrangeowners.com
Now looking to purchase an R-Pod 190
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 1:51pm
Welcome to the group!!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 2:17pm
Welcome to the group.  Search and you will find all your answers here.  We just went the opposite selling our RPOD for a larger but still couples camper for long trips as we are retired.  I think most will recommend a lighter RPOD since you only have 3500 lb towing capacity (or stick to short hauls over flat terrain).  That is pushing it.  The 189/190 is the heaviest of RPODS.  A 171 would be better at 400 lbs less weight and 2 feet shorter.  I did not know the 189/190 went back to the separate sewer outlets.  Using one is a pain.  I would not like to have to use two connections. Also note that the RPOD is almost unusable without extending the slideout as it pushes against the door to the bath.  Other PODS with slideout can be used without having to extend it. For some other questions:  A Thule is the way to go if you just want shade over your picnic table.  The R Dome is really for having the kids sleep in a tent or you camp in mosquito infested campsites.  It is not easy to put up and not worth it if you just want an awning.  With the Thule you can buy a conversion kit that converts to a tent but I think they are still only sold in Europe thus too expensive to ship.  People have mounted the internal EMS 30W surge protector next to the fuse box in the 190.  We think it is one of the must have additions.  Forest River does not offer plant tours but they have an annual Rally nearby and I heard fantastic stories about them.  One person I met who has a five year old motorhome went two years ago and a bunch of FR staff descending on him and looked at the home.  They left and came back an hour later bringing all sorts of new goodies (such as new seat cushions, new doors, and anything else that needed repairs was fixed all out of warranty!!!).  Whatever POD you select you will love them for the ease of travel as they are the best campers around hands down.  And nobody has a better forum than this one for help
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 2:53pm

Hi Mark & welcome to the forum!   

You ask a lot of good questions. I wish I were smart enough to answer them all.

I'll tackle the dump outlet situation. It is mainly due to where the waste tanks need to be located - in relation to the floor plan. My old RP173 had separate gray/black outlets. This was because one tank was located in front of the axle and the other was behind the axle. There was no way to pipe them to a single outlet, without going up and over the axle - which would have prevented draining.

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:28pm
I'd be concerned about the structure of the vehicle. Remember that the gasoline model's layout doesn't have to make room for a huge bank of batteries. That's likely the reason for the 3500 pound tow limit.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 6:00pm
Welcome Mark and Mrs. to this forum.  The awning vs. the r-dome will be a personal preference.  We opted for the r-dome as it will double the floor space of the pod.  I do not put it up unless I plan on being at a location for at least 2-3 days.  Takes one person about 16-20 minutes to install.  First time I did it, took nearly an hour.  With practice and familiarity, you will get more efficient.  Batteries: we have 2  deep (12v) cycle group 24's on tongue of our pod, we still get 3-4 days per battery as we usually camp where electricity is not available, as in National Parks, so w/o moving we expect 6 - 8 days of camping using both batteries.  Really cold weather, as when we camp in the Rockies with lows in the 30's to mid 40's, we get 3 days/ battery as the furnace will run quite a bit.   As you travel, and keep your fridge on propane, the battery will get charged by your towing vehicle.  Not a good idea to put a bike rack on the rear of the pod, you will void any warranty plus the amount of bounce you will encounter will most likely wreck havoc on the rear of the pod.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
openrangeowner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 6:01pm
I did some TV research today - looks like the Hybrid model weighs more (somewhere between 500-1000lbs more for battery and other additional electronic gear) so they decreased the tow rating from 5K based on this.  One site mentioned that Toyota only tests towing at 3500 lbs or 5000 lbs.  Several people have pulled 4K (scale-weighed) trailers with the same model/type vehicle with no issues.

The hybrid battery pack sits nicely under the 3rd row seats - ordinarily there is a storage space there, so the structure is the same as the gas version.  I won't get a camper that weighs dry over 3000 lbs dry and I never tow distance with water tanks or septic tank full (too many stories of the tanks falling down due to bad bracket attachments ...) 

I plan on using a lightweight propane cylinder and light battery to keep hitch weight at around 350 lbs.  With my wife and I traveling, we don't pack that much anyway for long local weekend trips.

I agree about no bike rack for the rear - I was looking at the ones that fit on the jack at the front of the camper .... R-Pod now offers that option and E-Trailer sells the Jack-It model.

I wil look at other lighter models (my wife is insisting on a dry-bath, so the 180, 189 and 190 are the only R-Pods that have these).  Personally I don't care if the bath is wet or dry .... but I don't spend much time in there.  LOL
Prior camper:
www.openrangeowners.com
Now looking to purchase an R-Pod 190
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 6:56pm
We too required a dry bath and the 180 was the only model with it at the time.  We did go in the 189/190 at recent RV show and it would have been a difficult decision to make.  One thing we did not like about the 180 was when we get back to the RPOD after a long day we just like to sit and relax maybe watch TV or a DVD.  On the 180 the dinette is not comfortable and you cannot watch TV from there.  So we end up watching TV in bed.  But to sit up in bed your head pushes against the window shades.  The new 189/190 has very nice and large seating area in the rear
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 8:55am
Originally posted by openrangeowner

I wil look at other lighter models (my wife is insisting on a dry-bath, so the 180, 189 and 190 are the only R-Pods that have these).  Personally I don't care if the bath is wet or dry .... but I don't spend much time in there.  LOL

Welcome to the forum! Just in case the bath thing is negotiable - and I'm not saying it should be - we're really happy with the roominess of our 179. With the slide-out in you can still access everything but one below-counter cupboard so we use that for excess items that replenish reachable stuff. We can also relax at our dinette (or in bed) while watching DVDs because of the swivel contraption that holds the tv. In any case, good luck with your decision and know you're going to love it. Everyone chooses what works best for them and that's exactly as it should be. Keep us posted! 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 9:09am
Welcome.  i carry an 80 watt zamp suitcase and it serves me well with two gc6 batteries.  Batteries stay have recovered to 100% even with heater use at night so far.  I have an rdome and have never used it yet.  i use a plug in surge protector, just easier for me and i bought it without contemplating a built in.  I use the Redarc controller and it is great. i did a mode to combine gray black drain to a single cleanout. i tow with a sequoia and really like the full size vehicles for towing.

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>