R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestion about the battery draw

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about the battery draw
    Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 3:31pm

I recently purchased a new R-Pod 173. I realized that if I left the pod without shore power for more than a week the battery goes down. I measured the amperage when everything I can turn off is off and I get a reading of about .4 amp. Is that normal? I realize the light on the radio, gas sensor and the USB is still on but I see no way of turning these off. I ended up installing a battery turn off switch but I still would like to know what is normal.Ouch

Life is short, eat desert first.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 4:52pm
Sounds normal to me. Installing a battery cut-off switch was a smart move. Mine stays plugged in when it is at home in our driveway. However, I have a battery cut-off switch to use when needed such as when I need to take it and drop it off for a repair where it will not be plugged in.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 5:41pm
Yep, it's pretty normal.  All those things that run all the time draw power, just like the programs on your computer draw memory resources.  The battery switch will help a lot, but you'll still need to keep your battery topped off to ensure maximum life.  It's normal maintenance.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 5:47pm
It sounds a little bit high to me. I don't have the stereo on, nor do I have a USB port, and the current I measure at the batteries with the Rpod unplugged from shore power is 0.05 amps (50 milliamps). The clamp-on meter that I use has trouble with current that low, but it's an order of magnitude less than what you're seeing. I don't want to alarm you, because 0.4 amps (400 milliamps) is still fairly low, it's just not as low as I would expect.

When I plug in the Rpod, and the converter starts trickle charging, I measure 0.18 amps (180 milliamps) going into the battery.

So either the stereo and USB port draw a lot more than I expect, or there is something else pulling power on yours.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Bernty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:46am
Thanks all for the input. I tend to agree with Glue Guy, .4 amp is high. Did some pulling of fuses to see where the draw was and it seams to be from the converter itself as if I disconnect everything but the converter that's what I get. Did not have time to look into it further but I will. Also, when connecting the battery I hear a click in the converter like a relay click. Will see what that is.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:58am
With the converter fuse pulled, what is the power draw? It might be worth your while to contact WFCO to ask about whether the converter should be drawing power when the shore power is disconnected.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Bernty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 9:50am

I turned to the manufacture about this issue but the answer I get can't be correct. Please read the chain of emails from the bottom and up between me and Kate Ebbole from Forest River. Obviously a draw from the battery can't be the fault of the battery so changing battery would not help. The latest statement from their engineering department that the pod in rest would draw 2 amp can't be correct either. At that draw a battery would not last any time. Love to hear your opinions....

Good morning,

Our engineer states 0.4 amps at rest is great usually he counts it at 2.0 amps. Getting a battery disconnect is the way to go if you do not have solar panels to maintain the charge on your battery.

Thank you-
Kate Ebbole
Surveyor/Rpod
Warranty Claims/Service Dept.
(574) 642-3119 opt. 2
kebbole@forestriverinc.com

Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2018 11:17 AM
To: Katherine Ebbole <KEbbole@forestriverinc.com>

Subject: RE: RV Site - r-pod - Contact Us: "Battery Drain"

Thanks but apparently something is getting lost in the translation. The list you gave me show what items draw when in use. I am not looking for that. I am looking for the amp/watt draw on the battery when NOT in use. As your warranty advisor pointed out the LP/CO detector will pull of the battery constantly, so does the radio in rest as well as the USB charger in rest (the TV amplifier is off). Apparently so does the converter. Neither has anything to do with the battery itself. I do have  a new Marine battery giving me close to 12.8 volt and at that voltage I have a draw of over .4 amp or basically about 5 watt.

5 watt is the same as an internal light in a car and we all know what happens if we leave that on for a week, the car will not start. As the R-Pod is not delivered with a battery shut-off switch I have to assume you should be able to park the pod more than a week without disconnection the battery so my question again is what is a normal draw from the battery in rest with everything that can be turned off is turned off? Please show this e mail to your technical person. He will understand.

P.S. I would contact my dealer but he is 200 miles away and before I know I have a problem, i.e. this is not normal, I would waste his time.

From: Katherine Ebbole [mailto:KEbbole@forestriverinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2018 9:48 AM

Good morning Ronny,

I have looked in to this with my lead warranty advisor. Items like the refer and LP/CO detector will pull off of the battery constantly. I have attached photo of the amp draws for the RPOD.  Also, we do not provide batteries with the RPODS, the dealers do. I would consider contacting your dealer. We recommend you use a 12V marine battery. For dual batteries we recommend parallel set up.

Thank you-
Kate Ebbole
Surveyor/Rpod
(574) 642-3119 opt. 2

Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 10:17 AM
To: Katherine Ebbole <KEbbole@forestriverinc.com>

It's not a battery issue. The problem is the draw from inside the camper. In simple terms, a 0.4+ amp draw is the same as leaving a light bulb on in a car. Give it a couple of days and you can't start the car. It's not the batteries fault. So my question again is, what is a normal draw from the battery in rest without the unit connected to 115 volt. With other word, could someone put an amp meter on an R-pod battery and let me know if this is normal before I take any further step. 

From: Katherine Ebbole [mailto:KEbbole@forestriverinc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:58 AM

Hello,
The issue you are experiencing with the battery does not sound normal. Have you tried a different battery?

Thank you-
Kate Ebbole
Surveyor/Rpod
(574) 642-3119 opt. 2

Ronny Karlsson has sent the following message in regards to r-pod:

" I recently purchased a new R=Pod 173 from Empire RV & Marine in Liberty TX. I realized that if I park the unit without shore power the battery goes dead within a week even if everything is off (that I can turn off). Put an amp meter on the battery and get about .4 amp. Also, when I connect the battery the speakers click and the fan in the power unit start for a short time. Ended up putting a shut of switch on the battery but is this normal?

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:08am
If they are saying that a pod at rest is 2 amps, then they are blowing you off. I think .4 amps is a "bit" high, but it's not outrageous. Ours is a fraction of that, but we don't have the USB charger. I suppose the difference might be that, but I don't know.

There are only three or four things that could be causing your current drain at this point. (1)LP/CO sensor, (2)Stereo, (3)USB charger, and (4)Converter.

If I was really curious, I would put an ammeter on the battery, and disconnect/connect each of those devices to see who is drawing the most. If you disconnect those 4 things and you still have a drain, then you have a phantom. At that point I might start pulling fuses.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:40am
The converter doesn't draw any 12v. It can't. If tried to, it would blow the reverse polarity fuses as soon as 12v tried to go "the wrong way"..

What most, or at least many people miss is the antenna booster. But the OP seems to have checked that. The next thing to do, is start pulling fuses one at a time and checking which circuit has the draw.

At .4 amps, that's 9.6 amps a day.. a group 24 has around 30 usable amps.. 

I have seen parasitic draw reports this high before, but usually it's half of that or less. Our Pod drew .12 and we had dual GC2's.. so we could sit idle a good long time, still used a battery cutoff.

Many campers have one from the factory (battery cut off).. we are "2 outa 3"... so far. LOL
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 11:14am
From my measurements the "normal" draw is 0.1-0.2A. The major contributor is the CO detector but the electronic thermostat, any 12V USB chargers, the fridge control board if left on, and the antenna booster if left on will add to this. Note that clamp on ammeters can be very inaccurate at low levels so the OP's 0.4A may be OK. This can be checked with a good DVM in series with the battery.

As for the FR 2 Amp estimate, that's similar to some presidential inauguration attendance claims. BS. Tongue 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>