R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestion about the battery draw

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about the battery draw
    Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 6:36am
Originally posted by DavMar

Originally posted by CharlieM

As for the FR 2 Amp estimate, that's similar to some presidential inauguration attendance claims. BS. Tongue 

Don't want to get political here but I have to say +1 on that statement which gave me a big chuckle!

Yes, let's not venture into political matters.

Rpod Owners Forum doesn't have 27 pages of rules/community standards. However, we do have 4 subject matters that we avoid - politics is one of them.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1&FID=5&PR=3&title=welcome-and-rules

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 4:24pm
The remark was political as was your support for it. Has no place on this forum.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

As for the FR 2 Amp estimate, that's similar to some presidential inauguration attendance claims. BS. Tongue 

Don't want to get political here but I have to say +1 on that statement which gave me a big chuckle!

You, and others are also right that the normal draw should only be around . to .2A and that it should take at least a couple weeks to drain the battery.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Bernty

Thanks all. What I was primarily curious about was what the normal draw on an R-pod was. I can't believe that 2 amp in any way can be normal and I think .4 amp measured at the battery with a multi meter in series with the battery, as in my case, can be right either. In any case, the first thing I did when realizing this draw was to install a cutoff switch and I use a BatteryMINDer Plus from Northern Tools to maintain the battery. That works fine but I still question the draw and that the fan in the converter start for a short time when connecting/disconnecting the battery. As soon as I get time and can bring the pod home I will start disconnecting items to see where the draw is. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Furpod is on with his math (and generous doing so). Yes at that draw it's gone has he says.

Now, I'm testing Lily right now (my new 182g) and have a meter installed to read draw over time. I find your 400ma as high. My 72hr read has a 240ma average draw. It' goes as low as 210ma & so far I've seen 280ma on the meter. Main statement is 72hr run and I have a 240ma average.
This is Pure 'Ghost' draw. Nothing is turned on, only onboard systems doing there thing.
400ma sounds to me that something is running that you're over-looking or something is running that shouldn't be.

Furpod askes (without outright asking) what size battered you have (maybe I missed this in a earlier message). Also, if you've drawn it down this deep before (important to battery condition), you're available amperage has been reduce drastically (again as Furpod states). 

I'm also on dual 6's. Greater AH, deeper duty cycle. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Bernty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 10:23am
Thanks all. What I was primarily curious about was what the normal draw on an R-pod was. I can't believe that 2 amp in any way can be normal and I think .4 amp measured at the battery with a multi meter in series with the battery, as in my case, can be right either. In any case, the first thing I did when realizing this draw was to install a cutoff switch and I use a BatteryMINDer Plus from Northern Tools to maintain the battery. That works fine but I still question the draw and that the fan in the converter start for a short time when connecting/disconnecting the battery. As soon as I get time and can bring the pod home I will start disconnecting items to see where the draw is. Again, thanks for the feedback.
Life is short, eat desert first.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:31am
Everyone AGREES it should last longer, but math is math. Well most of the time.. LOL

Systems issues are often very hard to help with long distance. We do what we can, but in the end, the list of options above covers what he can do to alleviate the problem he is having. Our Pod could sit 70 days or so before I got worried, it never did, but that was the math of it. I had a small parasitic load, and huge storage.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:28am
Your dealer probably installed an inexpensive group 24 12V battery. I purchased and brought with me 2 6V batteries when we picked ours up. Your battery likely has at best 70-80 AH. The dual-6V batteries (wired in series to give me 12V) give me 215 AH. If the newer 'Pods have more phantom draws from things like USB chargers, then a few days may be all you could expect, especially if the battery has already been discharged fully which may have damaged the capability to fully accept a charge.
Have you considered buying a battery charger that has a battery reconditioning function? I have two. One is a Stanley BC1509 which is a 15A charger with Battery Recondition function. I keep this one at home. The second one I purchased when our converter went bad and I needed to charge the batteries. I don't remember the brand and rating off the top of my head, but it also had the recondition function. It travels with us just in case.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:21am
Agree with Bernty. Our pod goes at least a couple of weeks before I start to worry about SOC. Granted we have a pair of 12V batteries in parallel, but still.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:13am
If your pod is really pulling .4A and you have a standard, single group 24 battery in perfect health..

and.. lets say your not letting the battery go below 50% SOC, which is about 12.1v, and the point where damage starts.. giving you "about" 40aH to play with..

Then in 100 hours, you are at the tipping point of damage. A hair over 4 days.

Now if you have let your battery drop bellow 50% SOC, then it's damaged and you are going to have less then 40aH to begin with.

You can disconnect the battery, reduce parasitic loads, plug in when not in use, or add more 12v storage.
Bernty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 8:18am
I agree but it should last more than a few days
Life is short, eat desert first.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>