Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello from newbies to camping and "R-Poding"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from newbies to camping and "R-Poding"
    Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 8:31pm
Hi everyone, I surprised the wife with a 4 hour trip this Saturday morning to pick up our new 178 R-Pod!!! We have tent camped, cabins etc,i started my search a few months ago looking at pop ups but for the money/convenience difference this seemed like a east walk to getting an R-Pod. We love it and it hasn't even left the driveway yet, we are excited for this summer many summers to come.

1; I have no idea how to post pictures on here

2; we got it home and none of the outlets work, they did in the walk around/set up at the dealer. Yes, I checked the GFI, yes I checked all the fuses and breakers, even re-set all the breakers to make sure. Still nothing. Any ideas?

Anyway, thank you for the welcome and I look forward to getting to know you guys.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 8:52pm
Hello, welcome, and congratulations! We have a 2016 RP179 which we enjoy very much. I hope you find the learning curve none too steep and can get to enjoying adventures and making many great memories.

1. You can't directly. You need to either self-host or use a photo hosting site like postimage.org to upload your photos and then use the link provided there to past into the picture dialog (tree icon on the advanced editor which you get to by clicking on the icon above that looks like two boxes with an arrow pointing toward the top-right).

2. Are you plugged into shore power? If not, then they will not work. You can use an adapter to plug the 30A shore power cord into a 15A outlet. Just don't try to run the AC with it since it will be too much power draw and will trip the breaker in your house. You should be able to run everything else then while checking it out and getting it ready for your first camping trip. I would not recommend running the hot water heater on shore power at the same time as you are running other such as the refrigerator and/or microwave though unless you have a 30A outlet.

Do plug in if you can to keep your battery charged. The power draws of the refrigerator and thermostat electronics along with the draw of the CO/LP detector will drain your battery unless you either have it charging or install a battery cut-off switch or simply disconnect the negative terminal on your battery when it is not plugged in.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 8:55pm
Welcome to the group!! Congrats on your 178!!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:22pm
Second Stephen's question about whether you're plugged in.  If you can park the pod at home I recommend keeping the pod plugged in.  As Stephen said, a regular 15 amp circuit is good.  A 20 amp would be better, but it's not necessary, unless you want to run the air.  I also recommend a 10/2 with Ground heavy duty extenstion cord, the shorter the better, but 50 feet is fine.  100 feet may be okay.  Either way, they are expensive.  I was at Home Depot yesterday and a 50 was $105 and a 100 was $145.  (I was looking for another 50 to run a generator into the house in case of a power failure.) 

Pods have two distinct electrical systems; 12v and 120v.  They overlap in the converter/charger, but it converts 120v to 12v to charge the battery (that's all).  This isn't a complete list, but the lights, furnace, and optionally, the refrigerator, run on 12v.  The air, microwave, and optionally, the fridge and the water heater, work on 120v.  The only way the 120v things work is when the pod is plugged in to shore power.

You did well to check the GFCI.  Let us know what your solution is.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:30pm
Well, I just checked and extension cords are a lot cheaper on Amazon.  And I should have mentioned that if you have an outlet close enough, all you need a ~$10 adapter and you can use the 30 amp 30 foot cord that should have come with your pod.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Massucci1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:43pm
Thank you everyone, no we were not plugged into anything. At the dealer it was during the walk around so that makes sense. Just need to order the extension cord and i cN plug it into the garage. Thank you all again.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 1:59am
Welcome!  Check in your storage compartment to see if an extension cable came with your 178.  One came with our 177 and included and adapter to go to from 30 amp to 15 amp.  Over the years this may have changed since we purchased ours in January 2011.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:18am
Agree with Jato.  You may not need an extension cord if the marine grade cable that comes with the RPOD reaches an outlet in your house (or an outdoor outlet).  Then look around inside the POD, as you may find an adapter plug for the cable to plug it into a regular outlet.  Our dealer included one but did not tell us.  Fortunately we looked around, opened all the drawers and found it.  But as said earlier do not run too much as it is probably just a 15 amp line.  One forum member used his RPOD in his driveway for quests and ran a dedicated 30 amp line to his garage and was good to go to run a/c and all. Good luck
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:50am
Ours did not come with an adapter. I have since purchased a small pigtail about 12" long that plugs into the R-Pod's outlet and at the other end is a male plug that plugs into a standard 15A extension cord. Those are much less expensive if the original cable won't reach your outlet.
This adapter is similar to the one I have: https://smile.amazon.com/Female-Adapter-Electrical-Adaptors-12-inch/dp/B01MTQ4B4A/ except mine is gray. I use an extension cord from the outside outlet on my house since we don't have a garage. The cord is (if I recall correctly) 12/3 cord which had a light in the female socket end to show when it had power but the light has since quit working even though the cord is just fine.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Massucci1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Ours did not come with an adapter. I have since purchased a small pigtail about 12" long that plugs into the R-Pod's outlet and at the other end is a male plug that plugs into a standard 15A extension cord. Those are much less expensive if the original cable won't reach your outlet.This adapter is similar to the one I have: https://smile.amazon.com/Female-Adapter-Electrical-Adaptors-12-inch/dp/B01MTQ4B4A/ except mine is gray. I use an extension cord from the outside outlet on my house since we don't have a garage. The cord is (if I recall correctly) 12/3 cord which had a light in the female socket end to show when it had power but the light has since quit working even though the cord is just fine.

Ordered, thank you for the tip....
 Post Reply Post Reply