R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSurge Protector - Recommendation - Event Date: 27 Mar 2018 - 31 Mar 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Surge Protector - Recommendation
    Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 7:44pm
Fellow Podders:  I have never used a surge protector on any of my campers and I have been camping for about 10 years.  I now have a new 2017 Pod 172 and want to start using a portable surge protector.  I do not want one that is built into the Pod.  Can some of my fellow podders out there recommend a good portable surge protector to plug in between shore power and power cord going to Pod?

Thank you

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:08pm
We went about 35 years w/o one but finally bit the bullet 3.5 years ago for our 177.  We purchased a Progressive Industries SSP30 surge protector.  Was $65.00 and got it on either EBay or Amazon.  Has worked well so far.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 8:40am
I would recommend getting the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C.  It is pricey at $260 but it does more than surge protection. Research this forum and you will read stories of why you need more than just surge protection.  From Amazon site:
The Progressive EMS-PT30C RV Surge Protector provides high & low voltage protection, whenever source power falls below 104 Volts, or rises above 132 volts and will automatically shut down power to the RV. Once the AC source rises above 104-volts, or below the 132-volt level the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to RV.
  • 3-Mode surge protection: This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-G, and N-G. Joule rating is 1780, response time of <1 nano second.
  • Surge Indicator: If ever a power surge damages the surge protector circuit within the EMS L-N, or L-G Digital display error code will read E-10. This is your indication that it needs to be replaced.
  • Reverse polarity protection: If source is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E1.
  • Open neutral protection: If the source has an open neutral condition the display will not light, and will not allow power to the RV.
  • Open ground protection: If source power has an open ground condition the EMS will read an error code of E2 and will not allow power to the RV.
  • AC Frequency Protection: If source power frequency deviants +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second the EMS will shut down source power, and indicate an E7 or E8 error code on the digital display.
  • Accidental 220V protection: If 220 volts is detected when plugging into source power the EMS will not allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage and the appropriate error code.
  • Integrated information panel: Scrolls continuously all of the power source information, voltage, current, frequency, error codes, and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for 2 seconds
  • Previous error code: This feature tells the user why the EMS previously interrupted power to the RV. This is only displayed if an error actually occurs and goes away when power is disconnected.
  • Whether resistant: Can be exposed to elements, may not be submerged.
  • Microprocessor controlled: The computer, is driven by state of the art microprocessors that are programmed with software to drive the entire EMS.
  • Built in Lock Bracket: Allows the user to secure to power source to prevent theft.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 4:15pm
That is a great unit, in my case I usually boondock in national parks, national forest campgrounds or to places where electricity is not available so the one I bought fits.  IF HOWEVER you are only going to glamp where electricity is available, then the above unit is the way to go.  Depends on your camping style.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 4:37pm
<----- Proud to glamp.
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 8:16am
Just curious, what's the difference between the PT30C and the PT30X?  Progressive's website doesn't show the PT30C.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 1:13pm
Just showing my age.  The PT30x is the newer version.  The PT is for portable  The 30 is for 30 amp service.  And the X is newer version than the C. Don't know what was changed in the newer version.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 8:56am
I would encourage you to rethink the hard wired unit. First of all, no need to "remember" to plug it in before you plug in the pod. Sometimes we are in a rush and "forget".  Also the reverse is true, you need not remember to NOT leave it. Unplugging is one of the last things i do. Easy to unplug the S.P. and put it down, then forget it. Lastly, I like to have as few 200 plus dollar items outside on display as I can. In some places, the electric hookup is 40-50 feet away from the pod.  I hate to go put a 260 dollar unit 50 feet away from my camper, and then go sight seeing. But my biggest reason was I wanted to make sure I never ever wanted to "just plug it in for a minute" without protection, and hard wired is the only way to assure that.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 9:08am
+1 for mjlpod's suggestion!  

It hurts to leave one on the picnic table because you need two hands to coil up the power cord - it was a major ouch!

Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
podderfj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 9:17am
Good suggestion mjlrpod and ParPod:  I am beginning to rethink my choice.  Where in your pod did you locate the hard wired unit.  Also, I am very much a handy man but can you run through the hook up and wiring process.  Also, what unit would you recommend?
Thanks for all of the replies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>