Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLong trip questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long trip questions
    Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 8:34am
We saved our big trips for now that we are retired. A  three day drive to a destination no longer exists.  We research places to see on the way and stop over.  Thus a three day drive can take six days.  We use Roadtripper to map out our trips.  Roadtripper list off the beaten path places to see.  Roadside America is another source for unique stops.  We have found that there are many places to stop and sightsee and actually there are too many.  We aim for driving 4 hours (250 miles) on our trip planner.  And if there are no sights to see within 250 miles of our itinerary we will stop for a just a night.  We have not had to stop yet at a Walmart or equivalent.  We joined Harvest Hosts and stop at wineries. farms, museums etc for a night.  We prefer it to Walmart.  We also do most of our bigger travels during "shoulder" season June and Sept so no problem making a reservation a day before.  But we use private campgrounds (we try to use 50% off ones that accept Passport America) and not public parks. So far it is working nicely, but it is pricey doing it this way
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:07am
Our first trip with the R-Pod, I did not realize how long it would take to get from NC to Las Vegas. It did not help that we had a delay due to a refrigerator problem that caused us to backtrack from Charlotte to the dealer's shop in Lexington. After addressing the issue, we continued as we were trying to get out there to see some of our grandchildren in their Christmas program. We did not make it. I initially was trying to hit 65-70 mph Interstate speeds. Gas mileage was horrible, especially when we encountered headwinds. I ended up having to slow down as I did not feel comfortable towing at those speeds.

After we got the AeroPlus which specified a maximum towing speed of 60 mph, I slowed down and now tow no faster than that. Towing is more relaxed and I don't mind being passed by just about everyone else. I decided that the journey is part of the adventure. We now plan for more days than at first to get to a destination.

We have stayed at Walmarts, truck stops, and one gas station where there was no place for miles around and our daylight had disappeared. The oddest place we stayed was in the tow yard in Green River, Wyoming after our accident (Saturday) waiting for the insurance adjuster to arrive which he did Monday afternoon. That was dry camping in low single-digit temperatures. I like state parks and I like U.S. Forest Service where my Interagency Access Pass gets me in free with camping at a reduced rate.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Woody.1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Pete Brayton

If you can't get space at national parks, there are usually state parks not far from the np's. For example, in Utah there is Dead Horse State Park, Green River SP, Goblin Valley SP and Kodachrome Basin SP that are just as great, if not better than the national park campgrounds that are nearby. You still need to make reservations ahead of time though.  We also plan nights at hotels in between campgrounds to break things up. I agree with everything that the previous posters have suggested too. Enjoy your trip.

Great tip and there is plenty of BLM land in the west where you camp off grid camp. I know around Goblin Valley SP there are many camp spots where it’s no problem getting in and out with an rpod. Valley of the Gods outside of Mexican Hat Utah is another scenic area. One the the most scenic drives with plenty of off grid camping is from Blanding, Utah to Hanksville on highway 95, hundreds of Indian ruins to stop and explore, Natural Bridges National Monument, it’s an unbelievable area. From there you can hit Goblin Valley SP. 

I posted the below in another post “Durango, Silverton, and Ouray. Silverton and Ouray have some beautiful scenery. Up to Ridgeway, then over Dallas divide into Telluride, then over Lizard Head Pass down into Dolores and over to Mesa Verde in Cortez. Head over to Moab and if you want to do any off grid camping go into  Canyonlands north of Moab, Newspaper Rock area. Plenty of off grid camping. All above areas have plenty on off grid camping or RV camping. The above could be a nice multi-day trip to enjoy it.”

texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:05am
The "ultimate campground project" is a great app that shows BLM, state parks and federal camping areas.  i think it is indispensable. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
Woody.1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by texman

The "ultimate campground project" is a great app that shows BLM, state parks and federal camping areas.  i think it is indispensable. 

Didn’t realize one was out there. I’ll have to download it.
HappyAdventuring View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 2:16pm
We (2 adults) did the Lake Superior Great Circle tour September 2017 with our Rpod 178, TV is 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. This was our first big trip. We had a wonderful time - here are some details: 14-17 mpg at 55-60 mph. 1900 miles, 2 1/2 weeks. We live in northern MN, short travel the first day, only 2 1/2 hours for our shakedown cruise, spent our first night at the Grand Marais Municipal Campground (Minnesota) and walked along the lakeshore to a fine restaurant. Did not stock up fridge because of customs issues entering Canada and then again returning to US. Knew we would be grocery shopping in Thunder Bay and didn't want to go shopping twice, so just got everything we needed in Canada. Shopped along the way at some fun small grocery stores, a great way to get a sense of the local vibe. Last day in Canada we gave our uneaten fresh fruits, veggies and lunchmeat, cheese etc to nearby campers who happily accepted this windfall. Canadian Provincial Parks are beautiful, many right on the lakeshore, very nice laundry and shower facilities. After Sept 10 they do not take reservations, but we had no trouble finding a campsite. On travel days tried to arrive by 2-3 pm. Stayed at each campground 2-3 nights. Definitely book reservations as early as possible if traveling in Canada before Sept 10. Some campgrounds stop taking reservation even earlier.
We didn't anticipate how many excellent restaurants we would find on the Canadian side, even in small remote towns. So, that's why we had leftover food. Too much fun trying out new foods. Many interesting historical sites, the Bush Plane Museum in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, is great for all ages. Lots of hiking. We brought our bikes but too scary to bike on the highway with no shoulders and lots of big semis, so biked around the campground. 
On the Canadian side we stayed at Kakabeka Falls, Lake Superior, and Pancake Bay Provincial Parks, all excellent. On the US side we stayed at Grand Marais MN Municipal Campground at the beginning of our trip, and Baraga State Park MI (right on the highway so traffic noise, next time will stay at McClain State  Park Campground)  and then to the Bayfield Peninsula and stayed at the Herbster WI Municipal Campground.  Reservations a must on the US side, we usually called the day before and got in. During the peak summer months this would not work, I expect. Walked onto the ferry for a day trip to the Apostle Islands. I'll do another post with our mods, and then another with camping tips we learned the hard way, mostly. We have lots of BWCAW camping, road trips and sailing experience, this was our first TT trip, still on the learning curve.  
LOB
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 2:44pm
Welcome to the group! Sounds like a great trip!!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Richand Cindy

We saved our big trips for now that we are retired. A  three day drive to a destination no longer exists.  We research places to see on the way and stop over.  Thus a three day drive can take six days.  We use Roadtripper to map out our trips.  Roadtripper list off the beaten path places to see.  Roadside America is another source for unique stops.  We have found that there are many places to stop and sightsee and actually there are too many.  We aim for driving 4 hours (250 miles) on our trip planner.  And if there are no sights to see within 250 miles of our itinerary we will stop for a just a night.  We have not had to stop yet at a Walmart or equivalent.  We joined Harvest Hosts and stop at wineries. farms, museums etc for a night.  We prefer it to Walmart.  We also do most of our bigger travels during "shoulder" season June and Sept so no problem making a reservation a day before.  But we use private campgrounds (we try to use 50% off ones that accept Passport America) and not public parks. So far it is working nicely, but it is pricey doing it this way

Roadtripper is new to me! Pushing the heck out of it to test. Actually is showing a few more areas to camp than other programs I've looked at. Kind of quirky so far, but working through it.
Nice add to the collection! Thank you for mentioning it!

I'm undecided on Harvest Hosts, but if you like it and it works.. I will look into it again.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 4:24pm
Harvest Hosts is nice for one night stays.  Unlike a Walmart you can open your slideout, pull out chairs and even grill.  However with few exceptions you should arrive just before closing.  So for many it is 5 PM. It is not for traveling late into the night and just pulling off for a no frills stop.  For that you need the Walmarts.  We prefer the Harvest Hosts for one night stays as we usually stop for the day driving around 4-5 PM.  We do not drive into the evening (at least not yet).  You should buy something so it is really not free, but then again Walmart would not offer free overnight if enough people did not go into the store and buy something either. Also there are not that many so you may not find one on your route.  For example in NH there are only three The Washington Cog Railway, The Gould Hill Farm and the Red Hook Brewery in the entire state. But we did find enough on our trips to make the annual fee worth it.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 12:12pm
Mark I have to give a +1 to CharlieM advice to you. Remember this you'll be retired when you take your trip so as they say plan on "smelling the roses" on your way out west. Which is exactly what I will do when we head out to Colorado and Wyoming this summer and return through the upper mid west and into PA before making our way back home to NC. I'm only about nine years older then you but I find that at most all I want to do is pull my Pod for five to six hours a day so I plan my trip accordingly. If you get someplace you really like then stay and extra day! There is no sense in beating yourself and your spouse to death hammering down the road just to get to someplace if you don't have to, hmmm? Most of the time I think of where I might be two to three days out from where I'm camping and make reservations accordingly. As in my recent trip to Edisto Island in SC I mixed it up between State and private campgrounds. Just kind of go with the flow and you'll have a much more enjoyable trip! 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>