R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas anyone installed a cellular booster?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone installed a cellular booster?
    Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:22am
Not well. I don't even know if the amplifier is working, but I got zero improvement with either the omni or Yagi. I need to test it where I have full signal to see if the amp properly turns on attenuation. Unfortunately, the indicator lights aren't helpful: no LEDs lit supposedly means that the amp is operating normally, but I would think a dead amp would show the same status. It wasn't a very good design choice.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:26pm
One thing I caught when researching was if the signal is too strong the Booster (amp) will shut down. The real pricey ones have auto adjustment. Mine is manually adjustable (which should take some time getting used to, LOL).

Another talked about adjusting gain according to signal strength and distance from antenna. 

I'm a long ways from understanding all this, but a little further along than I was weeks ago..

If you can adjust your gain, I suggest turning it down and slowly coming up till you hit the sweet spot. That's what I'll be trying with each location I need to use it. Well, so's the current thought.. Hopefully you can and it helps.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:25pm
The gain isn't adjustable on mine. But, as I said, it has built-in attenuators that automatically kick in when in strong signal areas. When attenuation is on, some LEDs are supposed to light up, so that's why I wanted to find a strong signal area to test. I know of one where there's actually space to park my car.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:17am
I have installed commercial boosters for internet use for several years on both ATT and VZW.  The concept is pretty much the same regardless of service provider.  Expected frequencies need a matching antenna in physical length.  If your down low, VZW @ 700mhz, the signal goes farther and the antenna is longer, whereas 2100Mhz from AT&T it will not go as far and have a shorter antenna to match.   Wilson Electronics makes most of the stuff I use.    

Rule #1, you cannot use a omni directional antenna and expect improvement.  You won't even "double" the signal you are hoping to.   Before I get yelled at,  if you have a poor signal at 7 miles, then the Omni will make it better, like 5 miles, but not great like 1 mile.  

A panel antenna of the right frequency will be easier to point and go much further, I have them in the 14 mile range working quite reliably.   A Yagi style, long and skinny, will offer the most gain and can work 20 miles away.  This is all assuming you know where the antenna is.  LTE has the benefit of being somewhat non line of sight.  Meaning a hill or building shouldn't ruin your chances of success.  Getting antenna location is pretty easy then you just kinda point.  Large obstructions are a problem ( mountain) but you can reach the horizon with enough gain.  Bodies of water are also a problem as the signal bounces.  

If the signal is too hot your not going to like that either, thus have more than one antenna (panel & yagi).  Depending on what device you have you can get your signal level   Ideal signal strength is -50 to -70db.  Higher is better (-50 > -70).  Neg 80 will probably not work.  The whole thing is essentially physics.  Antennas need to be some multiple of frequency wavelength.  700mhz is 16" top to bottom so the antenna needs to be a multiple of 16".  16 x2, or 16 x .25 .  Bigger the better.  Smaller is more portable.  Modern cell phones will have 1/4 wave, where back in the day a bag phone had a full wave.
Kim & Derek
2016.5 176t
2015 Jeep Rubicon JKU (trips west)
2008 Town and Country (trips east)
2 kids, 2 dogs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 11:02am
I'm now in testing mode. 2 Bars to 4 Bars on low gain! Me liking.

I'm only 5ft off the ground and at home doesn't matter which way I point it (Yagi).

Field Test mode is running slow, so no real numbers yet.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 11:18am
Sorry, I should have added: This is 4g signal, so far minor improvement on LTE.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 11:33am
My better Yagi just came in and it's the wrong one... Have to send it back, they sent the same one I now have.. 

Wanted one that would reach the 700mhz range. Some LTE (I think mine) is down there..
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 1:34pm
Tested WIFI today. 2.4ghz range is what most YAGI's can reach (as mine is).

One bar to two, pushing 3, but be it known, my router is inside and I'm shooting through a wall!

I couldn't get in a position to see the router directly, yet as is... not bad with all things considered. Now if the campground has an outside antenna to broadcast.. Ya Baby! 

Hopefully the 'good antenna' (the one I actually ordered) comes in on Tuesday/Wednesday as scheduled. I leave Thursday and will have to run it (test it) on the road.

So far, I'm liking what is happening. The correct antenna and I should be able to do what I hope. Time will tell.

If it works well.. I'll post specific details if your so inclined.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123