R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas anyone installed a cellular booster?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone installed a cellular booster?
    Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:12pm
I just ordered one of these cellular boosters for our 179, mainly so we can watch DirecTV Now on the AT&T network:

https://www.ubersignal.com/surecall-fusion2go-3-0-4g-extreme-rv-signal-booster-kit.html

I was wondering how people have mounted the outside antenna. It appears that the included bracket could be screwed into the side wall of the camper, but I ordered one of these to be able to mount it further above the roofline:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D1QPHK/

I'll likely put the amplifier in the dead space behind the stereo, connected to inverter I installed there for power.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:54pm
We had been wondering about adding something on that idea. We would be really interested on how it works for you!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 3:46pm
I'm curious it it will really work.  I called Verizon some time ago and asked about signal boosters.  The technical support person said that will help in buildings with blocked or weakened signals, and may help push an incoming signal a little farther.  But when I explained that I was hoping to be able to strengthen the incoming Verizon signal signal in areas where the it was very weak, he said that there is really nothing on the market that would help go from a very weak signal, like 1 bar bordering on no service to 2 or 3 bars of signal strength, if the base line signal is very weak.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 3:50pm
I put one in our other TT.  External antenna on a 12' pole.  In a couple of state campgrounds found no difference.  At home, in sight of the cell tower actually had a lower signal with it turned on.  Haven't used it since (two years ago).  In hindsight too expensive to do again.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:27pm
Cellular boosters like this are a crap shoot.

First, you need to know where the nearest cell tower is. This is not always knowable. At any rate, you want the external antenna to be highly directional. A directional antenna will be several times more sensitive to weak signals than the omni that is in your phone. It will also reduce the interference that will be generated by your nearby phone.

Which leads me to the second issue. The indoor antenna and the outdoor antenna need to be isolated from one another by any of several means: (1) Using an outdoor directional antenna, (2) Separation by distance (hard to do in an RV), Separation by RF-opaque material (fiberglass RVs are not very RF-opaque).

I've been involved in setting up a number of cellular boosters. I've seen instances where a $250 system works great (because all the issues are favorable), and I've seen instances where a $10,000 system did not work at all (where all the issues are UNfavorable).

I've seen much better results when using a femtocell, or WiFi calling for services & phones that support it.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 5:16pm
Well. this is a third generation device, so I'm hoping they've gotten some of the kinks y'all mentioned out of the system. Only time will tell.
Alan
Three cats
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 8:22pm
Well, the outdoor antenna on that one looks like an omni, you it will hurt you for the outdoor antenna. The other issues you already have a disadvantage. So I would not hold my breath. Be sure to give us a report if you try it out.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by lostagain

I'm curious it it will really work.  I called Verizon some time ago and asked about signal boosters.  The technical support person said that will help in buildings with blocked or weakened signals, and may help push an incoming signal a little farther.  But when I explained that I was hoping to be able to strengthen the incoming Verizon signal signal in areas where the it was very weak, he said that there is really nothing on the market that would help go from a very weak signal, like 1 bar bordering on no service to 2 or 3 bars of signal strength, if the base line signal is very weak.

This is exactly what I leaned as I researched what to do. You will never 'Boost' a signal. Best a better receiver of whatever is out there.

I'm looking at directional receivers. I 'think' it has a better opportunity of 'reaching out' to a signal (weak or not).
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 4:04pm
I should be able to test it in less than a week. I'll be in an area with traditionally weak cell service. I don't plan to install it permanently for this test so that I can return it if I don't get significant improvement.

It should be possible to retrofit a directional antenna if nothing else.
Alan
Three cats
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by TheBum

I should be able to test it in less than a week. I'll be in an area with traditionally weak cell service. I don't plan to install it permanently for this test so that I can return it if I don't get significant improvement.

It should be possible to retrofit a directional antenna if nothing else.

As with everyone else... I'll be very curious as to the results!

I have to believe, any antenna, as to being specific, has to be better than what's on the phone/router. To that, hanging my cell phone on a 20ft pole would probably increase signal. Just a little tough to answer a call... LOL. Yet I think you get what I mean.

Looking forward to your post.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>