R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSealing/caulking awning and spoiler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealing/caulking awning and spoiler
    Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:23pm
I considered that Glue Guy but decided against it.  I worry *probably unnecessarily, about vacuum pulling water in.  As for the old screw holes, they are very well filled with glued dowel and then covered with 4200, which will adhere very well to the roof itself.  But if all fails, I am going to make a 1/8 inch thick aluminum frame for the inner perimeter footprint of the spoiler and bond it to the roof (which 3m 5200 will do very well).  Then mount the spoiler on that.  There remains the issue of sealing the spoiler to that however.  The proper material for mounting an item like the spoiler is butyl tape.  But the material and design of the spoiler does not permit that.  No RV should have this issue.  Given the OEM mounting of the spoilers, they will inevitably leak, for the only water seal is the Dicor type material around the outer edge.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:47am
The spoiler itself can leak as long as the screws are sealed, the wires are well sealed where they penetrate the roof, and there is at least one weep hole to let out any water that does get in. Making sure the wires are sealed is the critical item.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:43am
Originally posted by StephenH

The spoiler itself can leak as long as the screws are sealed, the wires are well sealed where they penetrate the roof, and there is at least one weep hole to let out any water that does get in. Making sure the wires are sealed is the critical item.
That's what I'm thinking. As long as all the holes underneath the spoiler are sealed, the sealing of the spoiler itself is unrelated. Providing an exit for water would seem the right thing to do.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:02pm
If the wiring is sealed, the only access for water into the Pod are the screw holes.  In the OEM set up, the screw holes will leak for sure if water gets in (I believe regardless of weep holes), for nothing seals them.  And some were actually doubled leaving an empty hole in manufacture.   I believe that I have the screw holes sealed very well, as well as the screw heads.  We shall see.  In any case, the OEM set up is ............(kind words fail me).  Repair and maintenance is one thing that an RV owner expects.  But addressing a design flaw is another matter altogether.  BTW, I have finally learned that the 3M 4200 I used does function as an adhesive/sealant on LDPE plastics, just at a lower shear rate than other materials.  Shear rate is 20#/square inch on the LDPE and much higher on the filon roofing.  So that is more than sufficient for my purposes.  Oh, and more research and talking informs me that the spoiler leakage is a well known issue.  There is a fix, but it would cost about $10 in the mfg. process.  Also, it is known that the folks on the assembly line torque the screws so much that it makes for eventual bulges in the age of the spoiler, thereby pulling the spoiler and its sealant away from the roof.  The existing design "makes leaking inevitable."
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:23pm
+1 on the Eternabond... fixed mine and very easy.
bigcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 2:45pm
Hey there, has anyone used the EternaClean cleaner for cleaning and prep prior to applying the Eternabond tape? Just curious if it's safe for the Pod's roof surface. Also, I've read on other RV maintenance blogs that you don't have to remove the factory installed sealant around the other roof fixtures because the Eternabond will adhere to it just fine. Is that true? It seems like it would be a bugger to remove the factory sealant. 
Thanks!
Big Cat
2017 179
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 2:57pm
Dicor is pretty easy to peel up. I used a 1" plastic putty knife. Yes, if the Eternabond is wide enough, you could just cover the Dicor. My OCD wouldn't allow it. LOL
bigcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by furpod

Dicor is pretty easy to peel up. I used a 1" plastic putty knife. Yes, if the Eternabond is wide enough, you could just cover the Dicor. My OCD wouldn't allow it. LOL
Thanks for the quick reply, furpod!
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:37pm
When I went with eternabond I also purchased the cleaner and primer. The dicor removes easily with minimal scraping, if you decide to do that. It's my winter project when I can put Pod away in building.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
wooleeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 7:47pm
I attributed the leak to my spoiler.  Covered the mounting screws (front and sides) with Eternabond and have not seen a drop of water through all of this rain that we have had in the east.
2022 RP-202
2016 RP-179 (Sold 9/2020)
2014 Silverado Crew Cab. 6-1/2' Bed
Golden Retriever (DOB 6/16/2020)
English Bulldog (RIP 6/15/2020)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>