R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSealing/caulking awning and spoiler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealing/caulking awning and spoiler
    Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:22pm
I have tried to work with the dealer and with FR.  Nothing, despite the fact that the spoiler leak is a widespread problem.  Do a little research and you will find that I am not the Lone Ranger in my dissatisfaction with FR.  Actually, I have been RVing with different brands for over 30 years.  And I know a problem product and company when I encounter them.  For starters, check out the owners who ARE covered by warranty and can't get the work done!  There are companies that are willing to be problem solvers and maintain a good reputation.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:14pm
OTOH, I have had great support from both my dealer and from Forest River for our 2016 RP179. I had several warranty items repaired before the warranty expired. I re-sealed the spoiler myself because it was out of warranty. One can't expect the factory to do warranty work on a spoiler that is out of warranty, especially since it is not difficult to re-seal it yourself. Even the newer style spoiler has the same issue with not being stiff enough to pull down evenly.

These are built to be light. If you want a tank, then be prepared to purchase a vehicle capable of hauling a tank. Otherwise, accept that to keep the weight down, lightweight components that may not be a stiff as one would desire must be used to achieve the target weight of under 3,000 lbs.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 12:20pm
With all due respect, a properly sealed spoiler has absolutely nothing to do with weight.  Nothing.  And while it is fair to say that warranty terms are normally binding, in the case of a defect, it is certainly not unreasonable to expect the manufacturer to be somewhat accommodating in addressing it.  The problem is that the spoiler can't be properly sealed because of the way it buckles between the screws.  As you, yourself, note,  "...but I am seeing warping in it so I will likely re-do it."  FR has addressed the potential of shearing wheel studs — even beyond warranty.  I wonder why.  I certainly do not expect FR or any manufacturer, to treat a warranty as a perpetual maintenance responsibility; but I do expect manufacturing defects to be addressed by the manufacturer (in some manner) regardless of warranty.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 12:44pm
Shearing of wheel studs is a safety issue in which the NHTSB would mandate a recall if FR did not fix it voluntarily. Spoiler edge warping isn't.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 2:14pm
That is the reason I built my own spoiler, 3 holes for screws 1 hole for power all caulked. Bottom edges of the spoiler has a gasket, three weeping holes at the bottom and 2 small vents. I have no problems.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 2:25pm
Of course.  Not only is it a safety issue but one that could result in a law suit.  But it is a defect taken care of beyond warranty.  Why not invoke the warranty provisions on the studs?  It's obvious.  In fact, the spoiler is there because of lighting requirements imposed by the NHTSB.  FR sought to be exempt but was denied.  That. too, was a safety issue.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 6:37pm
Tibof, this seems to be a BIG DEAL for you, but not for most buyers of R-Pods. Just seal it yourself and go camping and enjoy your R-Pod or sell it and get something more to your liking.

One time before, there was a person who had bought an R-Pod and then came here and complained, complained, complained about FR quality. He sold it and bought a much larger camping trailer. I for one was glad he got something he wanted and stopped complaining in the forum about little things he could have done something about himself. Perhaps it is time for you to consider doing likewise.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Tibof, this seems to be a BIG DEAL for you, but not for most buyers of R-Pods. Just seal it yourself and go camping and enjoy your R-Pod or sell it and get something more to your liking.

One time before, there was a person who had bought an R-Pod and then came here and complained, complained, complained about FR quality. He sold it and bought a much larger camping trailer. I for one was glad he got something he wanted and stopped complaining in the forum about little things he could have done something about himself. Perhaps it is time for you to consider doing likewise.

There actually have been several.  One who was bitterly disappointed in the refrigerator's size, one who hated the air conditioner's noise and one who hated nearly everything but had never had is pod out camping. 

There are lots of RVs out there.  If the Pod doesn't float your boat that is fine.  Life is far to short to have things that should be fun annoy you. Find the one you like and use the heck out of it!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:00pm
+1 to StephenH.  2 years ago a friend of ours purchased a 5th wheel  45' long, triple axle, 6 slides, and 19,500 lb dry weight.  It was not a cheap rig.  Has he had problems?  Yes.  Some were covered by warranty and some he had to take care of himself.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:14pm
+ 2 Life is to short to short to not be enjoying what you are doing!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>