R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwater leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: water leak
    Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 8:38am
A tape like EternaBond Roof sealant tape is what I used to assure that the spoiler doesn't leak.  We've made it through two winters and it's doing fine.  

But, in BennyL's case, it looks more like FR gave him a sieve instead of a Pod.  With that many leaks, and who knows how many more will show up, the should replace the whole trailer.  Hopefully,Tennessee has a lemon law.  With all the water getting in, especially from leaks of unknown sources, he's going to end up with mold and mildew that can't be cleaned up.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
BennyL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 8:56am
And right now I am really disgusted. I just went outside after an all night rain, and I still have the leak. I went out at midnight to check, and there was no sign of a leak then, I think the heavier rain came after that.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Benny, Julie, and Zipper
2017 r-pod 179
1999 F-150 5.4
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 10:18am
BennyL,

Was it bubble tested after the leak repair? I take it because you said you had it repaired at dealer, you have a warranty. If that's true I would use that until satisfied. Leaks can be frustrating and hard to nail down.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:19am
I am quite familiar with Eternabond tape and have used it in rubber roof applications.  Tried it on the spoiler, but cold weather and flex of spoiler lifted it on the sides (though preparation was surgically clean).  Glad it is working for you, but in my case it's not the solution.  I believe the entire spoiler must come off, have hidden holes sealed, and then somehow resealed on the perimeter and refastened with stainless screws.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
BennyL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:10pm
I brought the pod back to the dealer today, it is still under warranty. I talked to the owner of the dealership, and he will make sure it is done right this time.
Mike, I do not know if the pod was pressure tested after the leaks were repaired.
Benny, Julie, and Zipper
2017 r-pod 179
1999 F-150 5.4
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:27pm
Good, glad you have that avenue. You know what to ask now. Test is as important as repair. I'd be interested in who your dealer is and how this turns out.
Mike Carter
2015 178
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:57pm
Tibof, sorry the Eternabond didn't work due to the cold.  We are just enough south that the cold hasn't presented a problem.  In fact, today it's feeling down right tropical at 50ยบ.  

I wonder if you took the spoiler off and used the Eternabond as a base, where it didn't stick out from the spoiler to lift up?  It does provide a pretty good amount of goo to keep the screws sealed, which is probably what you really need.  Just a thought.  Good luck in getting the problem straightened out.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 11:03pm
First, understand what and who you are dealing with Benny.  You are going to be stuck in a year or two trying to unload a leaking Pod.  You dealer may be helpful at this point, but he is dealing with a problem that can't really be fixed once the production run screws it up.  Get yourself an attorney.  It will be cheaper than the alternative.  Given my experience with the spoiler and that of many others, once you are out of warranty you are SOL.  FR has no genuine commitment whatsoever to the product they are marketing.  They are a small part of a much larger corporation.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 7:50am
There are both Federal and a TN Law that deals with lemons. You have to document you gave the dealer/manufacturer reasonable attempts and time to remedy the problem. Most lemon law attorneys offer free consultation and can advise a proper route. In the Federal Law I believe there is a clause that says if you are deprived of use for 30 days or more during warranty, you have certain rights. If one decides to go that route I would certainly go with what your attorney says is best way ahead.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12