Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlanning a loop..TN to YNP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planning a loop..TN to YNP
    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 7:08pm
I like Santa Fe but it's been a hundred years since I"ve been to Taos.  We were in the area a year and a hallf ago and decided to go up to head up to Colorado from Santa Fe through Abiquiu, home of Georgia O'Keefe, instead of Taos.  There is an amazing state park at Abiquiu Lake that I can highly recommend!  If you get there, be sure to see Plaza Bianca.  It's not far off the main road but leave the pod at the campground when you go.

Mesa Verde is a must see at some point in your life.  Four Corners is fun.  There is so much in that general area!  Monument Valley, if you have time, Vermillion Cliffs, Lee's Ferry (especially if you've ever read any Zane Grey). Depending on how you come and go to Zion, be aware that trailers are not permitted on Route 9.

Yellowstone and probably all of the campgrounds in and around other national parks may already be full through weeks past Labor Day.  Check for reservations as soon as you can for any places you really want to stay.

In New Mexico and Colorado we mostly stayed in national forests or BLM land.  We were there in September and didn't have any issues with not being able to find a spot.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mford4 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:33pm
We went to Yellow Stone and the Teton Mountains last year.  One thing we did that made our trip special was to download the "Yellowstone GyPsy Guide Tour" on our phone.  There is no cell service within the park, but this system is designed to work even without the cell service.  It broadcoast through our car speakers too.  It was like having our own personal guide in the car.  It would ping and announce what is ahead to see, where to turn, what would be there, and talked about history about the park throughout our adventure.  We both agreed it made our trip so much more enjoyable...there is a minor fee to have the App, but spend the money to get the one for both Yellowstone and the Teton Mountains...I promise you won't regret it.

The "tour guide" even had a sense of humor when describing different areas of the park, and the history we learned from tree forestation, to early inhabitents were well worth it...and with this we never felt lost for it guided us through the whole park system.
Marlene & David
Adventure is our game!
Ten16 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:02am
Originally posted by codycountry

Ten 16, I hope that ain't a police code. Tongue  I know what they mean. 

HA! No not a police code. No problems of the domestic type. 6-8 weeks together in a POD...we'll see how that goes!
Steve
2016 R-Pod 180
2011 F-150 FX4 Supercrew V8
Middle Tennessee
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:06am
Sounds like a great trip! We went out to the grand canyon back in 2013, it is totally amazing, beyond description, you wont be disappointed.  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mford4 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:18am
I read your post again and picked up camp site openings...we were camping with a pop up last year and just wandered our way out west...no plans...no reservations...even around Yellowstone and the Tetons.  Never had a problem finding a place to stay.  We did stay on the South entrance to the parks which was great because we woke up to the sight of the Teton's every morning.  It was breath taking every day we stayed and explored!

We are in the process of purchasing a used RPod and hopefully by the end of April we will have it in our hands and we look forward to a summer of travel doing much the same...wandering and exploring!
Marlene & David
Adventure is our game!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by mford4

I read your post again and picked up camp site openings...we were camping with a pop up last year and just wandered our way out west...no plans...no reservations...even around Yellowstone and the Tetons.  Never had a problem finding a place to stay. 

What time of year were you there?  We got to Gardiner late in the day in mid-September.  We were tent camping and couldn't find any place at all, in the park or outside of it. There was one motel room in town, best we could tell, and they wanted over $300 for that.  We ended up sneaking into a campground and sleeping in the car.  I'm pretty sure we weren't the only ones.  We did find a campsite in YNP early the next morning, but we almost came to blows with someone who said they had the site before we did.  We found another site that might have been the last one available.  We didn't really nearly come to blows but there were some loud words spoken.

I usually don't care for reservations and do very well without them.  I'm just saying there are times when they are necessary or very nearly so.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mford4 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:18pm
We were in the Yellowstone National Park area in late August.  The park was full, so no camping in there at all, but just outside the park we found two campsites available for our 3 day stay.  Then we headed down to the Jackson Hole area and had no trouble there either.  I think we were lucky because a lot of kids had just started back at school when we went...maybe that explains our luck.

Marlene & David
Adventure is our game!
Woody.1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 2:42pm
If you hit Santa Fe then shoot up north to Durango, Silverton, and Ouray. Silverton and Ouray have some beautiful scenery. Up to Ridgeway, then over Dallas divide into Telluride, then over Lizard Head Pass down into Dolores and over to Mesa Verde in Cortez. Head over to Moab and if you want to do any off grid camping go into  Canyonlands north of Moab, Newspaper Rock area. Plenty of off grid camping. All above areas have plenty on off grid camping or RV camping. The above could be a nice multi-day trip to enjoy it.
We live in the four corners area so I’m familiar with this area. Feel free to pm me if you want more details.

Woody.1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Mesa Verde is a must see at some point in your life.  Four Corners is fun.  There is so much in that general area!  Monument Valley, if you have time,

And if you’re a Forrest Grump fan he stopped running at mm 13 going into Monument Valley out of Mexican Hat...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12