Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlanning a loop..TN to YNP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planning a loop..TN to YNP
    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 2:48pm
We're just starting to plan a trip from TN to Yellowstone this summer and welcome your thoughts and ideas. I need to take a southern path on the way out and northern back. Quick stop in Dallas for a wedding then the trip really begins. 

If you have any must sees, tips, etc. please share. Time is very flexible for the trip. I'm guessing 6 weeks or so...doesn't really matter. If we find a place we really like, we'll stay a few days. Others may be one-nighters. I'm sure getting reservations in certain campgrounds matter, but I haven't made any yet.

Here's some of the spots on my initial list after leaving TX. 

Santa Fe, Taos, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, SLC/Park City, Tetons, Jackson Hole, YNP, Deadwood, Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Custer.....you probably get the general idea of the loop.

I don't have anything in mind after leaving SD...no plans yet on that piece of the trip. I also thought about skipping AZ/UT and going up thru CO instead, but we've never been to the Grand Canyon, so that's the current plan. 

Thanks in advance for any input! 

Steve
2016 R-Pod 180
2011 F-150 FX4 Supercrew V8
Middle Tennessee
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 2:27pm
I am not a big fan of Santa Fe(too many politicians) nor Taos (narrow streets and lots of tourists).  I would recommend Chama, NM (narrow gauge steam train) and then cut over to Mesa Verde NP and on to Moab, Utah (Canyonlands and Arches National parks).  It puts you a little out of the way for Bryce Canyon.  If you go to Bryce, take the time to go to Zion.  I found it awesome.

An alternative would be to head toward Gallup after Mesa Verde and then on to the Grand Canyon.  If you are into National Parks, Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National park are on your way.  There is no easy way to get from the south rim of the Grand Canyon to Zion and Bryce without backtracking. 

If you don't have satellite radio, take CD's to pay.  The scenery may repeat itself and radio reception is sometimes spotty.  I definitely would try to reach YNP by going through Idaho.  I have done the route through Wyoming and while the roads are good services are sparse.

I would also recommend the Museum of the West in Cody, WY (via South exit of YNP).  It might take 2-3 days to properly see that place.

If you do not have sway control, get it before you leave.  Winds gusts of 30-40 mph are not uncommon.
Enjoy Life!!
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 2:52pm
Actually it's called Buffalo Bill center of the west, and you would exit out the East gate, or North East gate (via Cooke City Mt) of YNP to get to Cody.  (South gate goes into Teton park and Jackson.)   Definitely worth planning to see.  Also, Cody has a rodeo every night in the summer that you might enjoy.  Plus a lot of other attractions.  Contact Cody chamber of commerce for more info.  
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:26pm
Thanks for the correction.  It is a fantastic museum.
Enjoy Life!!
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:56pm
I really like Taos and Santa fe both actually.  Food in santa fe and Taos is great and lots of things to see and do.  Both have great camping nearby but remote so you can take excursions to town after you fish in a mountain stream if you like.  There are several campgrounds to choose from at both locations.  do you have the "ultimate campground project app" yet?  highly recommend that.  
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 4:48pm
I went through Yellowstone years back. Drove back east through the Black Hills and hit Custer State Park.

Planned on 3 days at Yellowstone.. Left after 6 days and still wish to go back to see what I missed. You can not spend enough time there if you are into exploring. 
All did go to Cody on our way in. Great stop!

Finding out what was between Yellowstone and the Black Hills made me realize I didn't plan enough time!
There is so much more in the area!

The area of the Black Hills was great! Custer was just amazing to me! That whole region is something I will return to, take much more time and really explore.

We never did make Jackson Hole and will within the next couple years. Did pass through/by The Tetons and should have spent some time there, but Yellowstone was the destination on that trip.

Key spot to see Old Faithful is the upper deck at the lodge. Nice lounger chairs, waitress to bring cocktails and a view over the geyser field! Ya, life is good from there!
You see folks sitting in chairs near a geyser for what seems to be no reason.. Go talk to them! They're Geyser Sitters! We saw Great Basin go off because I did! Don't be shy!!!
There's a whole 'nther group of folks that do nothing but catch geysers. Very cool folks!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 5:03pm
The 'Needles' in South Dakota simply blew me away! Part of the Black Hills region. I had never seen anything like that before in my life.

Being an x-rock climber, I was driven to sit on one.

LOL, they'd have to drag my butt up on one now, but back then.. WOW!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 6:39pm
Great advice old dawg.  I concur.
Avoid Jackson in the summertime unless you like traffic jams and rude tourists.  Early fall or spring is the time to go there.  It's nuts, and no other town in Wy sees the same masses of people in the summer.
Ten 16, I hope that ain't a police code. Tongue  I know what they mean. 
Feel free to PM me if you want to talk details of Wy trip and our neighboring states.  I have a lifetime experience roaming around this part of the world.  I live west of Cody.    I'm going 10-7 for awhile... 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

The 'Needles' in South Dakota simply blew me away! Part of the Black Hills region. I had never seen anything like that before in my life.

Being an x-rock climber, I was driven to sit on one.

LOL, they'd have to drag my butt up on one now, but back then.. WOW!

Yeah I'm almost in the same boat, but there are probably some concessioners there that offer free rappels where you don't have to climb up.....
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 7:06pm
Yellowstone is incredible.  Highly recommended.  Go before schools are out for the summer or after they are back in session in early fall.  We were there again last June in the second week and the park was as busy as downtown Chicago at rush hour.  We camped in the Tetons and it was beautiful.  We faced long lines into all the geothermal elements at Yellowstone and resolved to visit again at n off season time.  I don't know much about New Mexico but all the other suggestions so far are spot on.  
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>