R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat electrical school did these people go to?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What electrical school did these people go to?
    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:21am
I just had to replace the 7-pin socket on my TV and had forgotten my voltmeter. So, I thought, I'll just go by color codes. WRONG! Thankfully, we were in a Walmart parking lot at the time (our storage place has gravel drives) and my wife went in and bought a cheap meter.

The idiot who wired this up must have worked exclusively on AC electrical systems because the 12V and ground wires were black and white...respectively! So, thinking black was ground, as on every other DC system I've dealt with, I proceeded to initially wire them backward. If it weren't for the voltmeter telling me they were backward, I very well could have done some serious damage when I plugged in the Pod.

I'm happy to report that everything worked as it should.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 12:37pm
Here's what eTrailer has on this subject.The problem is that standards for vehicles and for trailers are different. To add to the confusion, see the US DC Power section on the All About Circuits page.
It appears that the TV maker used the 2-wire grounded circuit section of the code for wiring the connector as opposed to the 2-wire ungrounded circuit section.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 3:18pm
I printed that etrailer info and carry it with me. The 7 way RV
standard is exactly the way mine is wired and black is indeed 12V and Ground is white. A 7 way standard trailer plug is different. We just had a similar post where bad info was being provided. Another example - in trailers brown is normally tail lights, 7 way RV standard it is green.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 5:45pm
Who, in their infinite wisdom, came up with that standard?! It's downright stupid if you ask me.

Anyway, on my TV's wiring, brown is tail lights, yellow and green are turn signals, and blue is the electric brake. A hefty yellow wire goes to the center contact and I'm not sure if it's actually wired into the TV's backup lights.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 5:58pm
Bum, I cant answer that, but mine is not wired that way. And it matches a 7 way RV Standard. Real quick you can check by looking at you fender wires, is it brown there? Mine are green. The yellow is the reverse light wire. That's why I use a simple 15 amp test lead with two spade plugs, I can go from 11 o'clock 12 v to 1 o'clock trailer taillights looking at the end of the trailer plug and ensure lights are working. I don't need a TV to do checks. I do agree you need a DVM to ensure you are looking at a the right stuff and I think even the etrailer guide says wiring color does not apply. I can go from the 11:00 12 volts to the center and my add on reverse lights work. My brake controller is purple at the 7 position, and I have nothing blue.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply