R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPLEASE READ AND VOTE - Event Date: 18 Mar 2018 - 31 Mar 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: Should religous comments go away?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [60.53%]
15 [39.47%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: PLEASE READ AND VOTE
    Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 11:24am

Folks, I have to tell you that this is something that I have struggled with for a long time. Ultimately, the forum belongs to you - the individual members that keep it alive and interesting. I would like to have your support in any action taken.

Should we do away with the "religious tag lines/references" in signatures? We are not a religious forum. We welcome all faiths or, no faith.   It is irrelevant. We are a travel trailer/camping forum. This is what we DO here. We don't practice or promote any particular religion/faith.

While not completely convinced, I am leaning towards: Yes, for the health of the forum, they should. Zero tolerance (like with weapons) should be the practice, going forward. But, what say you?

CharlieM View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 11:48am
I realize folks have a right to say what they want, First Amendment etc., but this is not the place to push agendas. Same with guns, GOP vs Dems, CNN vs FNC, etc. 'Nuff said.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 12:29pm
Ok, my opinion is that "off topics" is an area where anything can be discussed. I said it before and i'll say it again. We should be able to have an area to discuss things that are not "controlled" by Preapproved content. I dont care if someone discusses gun laws, or has religious quotes  in the off topic area. I also can't stand adults that act like children because someone said something. "Off topic" is for that, off topic. It doesnt bother me either way, but I think providing an area is the fairest way, so i voted to remove them. I am offended by nothing, so as I said, I have no grudge here, just the interest of fairness. I also want fairness throughout all of the forum, I think that even non religious quotes should not be allowed also. Only R.V. related quotes should be allowed in every category. We cant point out only one type of quote if we want to be fair.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 12:33pm
As I stated in my post under TV Reception, I have no personal issues with discreet non-proseletizing tag lines that have some religious belief expressed, though I would not advertise my religion in that manner.  But that being said, such tag lines inject religion into the forum and can be a flash point for conflict, just like firearms, and politics.  If one were to put a tag line quoting some controversial political figure, it would most certainly create a considerable amount of blow back.  Why should religious beliefs be treated differently?  

If asked to vote on the issue, I would prefer to see them removed.  So, I vote that we not use religious tag lines.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 12:53pm
  I think any post that is hateful or deceitful should be deleted and if a forum member continues with such posts after being warned should be banned from the forum. This is the way I believe it has been and should be. Short comments at the end of one's post in their signature that is not hateful or deceitful I have no problem with. But I agree this is a camping forum not a religious forum as the White House is not a place of worship but a place for governing our country. I read the bible often and attend church every week a religious quote I see no problem with but a bible lesson I would. I think the moderators need to decide what is offencive and what is not. I placed my vote and support the outcome and whatever is decided it is still going to be a forum I am thankful for, enjoy and look for advice and answers to questions pertaining to camping. David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 1:49pm

All good and thought provoking comments! Keep them coming.

Even if you don't comment, please cast a vote. This forum truly belongs to you. We Admins just keep the place tidy. We work our fingers to the bone (well, sort of, maybe ) to try to keep things the way you want.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 2:57pm
I will use my signature as an example. It contains a scripture reference that refers to wisdom, something which I should think we all should desire. It does not go on to elaborate. I use it not only for this forum, but for the Fidonet and for my emails. If the consensus is that even it is too offensive, I will remove it. I would agree that blatant proselytizing should not be done in this forum but ruling out respectful religious topics in the "off topic" area is not needed as long as they do not then spread to other topic areas or lead to animosity in what should be a relaxed, family oriented place.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 4:20pm
I find it hard to believe that any would find Proverbs 3:13 to be offensive as wisdom is something all mankind should seek after every day we are blessed with life and air to breathe.  It is unfortunate, looking at this country's founding how we have strayed from the founding father's intentions.  An excellent read of this is included in 1060 page treatise by Benjamin F. Morris entitled "The Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States" written in 1864. 

That being said, I will continue to support this forum regardless of the outcome of this issue.  I do engage others on a regular basis when it comes to matters of faith, although not here as this is not the intent of the forum.  I am not offended by others views or beliefs.  Having been in countries such as Mexico, Albania, Kosovo, Guyana and Nicaragua I have seen first hand what it is like to live in countries where tolerance other others beliefs is low.  Even in the United States, tolerance is something we have all had drilled in our heads at school and college, but I find that people tend to be tolerant or expect others to be tolerant unless they are of a Biblical faith. 

David you have "smoothed things out" a couple times for me as others have shown a bit of animosity toward statements I have made in the past, Thank you!  These were in regard to replies I had made, not instigated, to questions asked of me.  All of you Administrator's have done a yeoman's job in keeping this forum running smoothly since its inception.  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 4:26pm
I voted, I think it is a shame one controls many. Not what I learned as a child. I do agree this is a travel trailer forum and not the place for any personal agendas. I can't nor won't change but I can be polite and respectful. I value the forum and will abide by the ADMIN decision.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:05pm
Thought about this longer, I do agree religious comments should not be entertained, thus voted yes, but a signature block is personal and don't agree a person who uses a religious quote should be forced to remove it. Sick of this politically correct bunk and personally believe folks who have faith are good folks. That doesn't make them better than anybody else. Just makes them a believer. I hate to leave this forum, it's been good for me, but I don't need the whiny sniveling people who can't communicate across differences to solve real RPod issues. That is what this forum did and does. I would think about why you are here and what you want from this forum, not my job to save your life, it's my time to assist you with an issue and provide assistance. Think about it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>