Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTraveling with a refrigerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traveling with a refrigerator
    Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 8:33am
I've been all over the internet on this and so many thoughts as too how. I have never towed a TT with a frig before so I ask:

What do you do?

Our intent is to drive a max of 4-6hrs to the next destination. Now that can mean, with stops, being 8-10hrs before settling in.

On Propane? Consensus on this is very mixed..
On Battery? Again very mixed, but leans towards battery vs. propane.
Then, those that just close it up and don't do either.

I get it depends on the weather and if your in a hot climate. Knowing we'll be running from such areas and knowing we'll be driving through such, traveling brings the question of how.

So: What do you folks do on those long days between stays?  
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 8:41am
If your TV sends a good 12v charge to the Pod, roll on 12v.

If it doesn't, then roll on propane.

Cue "you are going to die if you tow with propane on" activists in 3.. 2.. 1..

Fact is there are 8 million RVs on the road. Almost NONE of them have a 12v option. 3 way fridges are fairly new, and only the smallest ones.

Now, you can believe all those RVs are going down the road with warm beer and spoiling bacon.. OR, you can accept the fact that the roadside is not littered with the burned out hulks of RVs that burned down just so little bobby could have ice cream by the lake..

RVIA reports the number one cause of RV fires are malfunctions of the 12v system. Not Propane. In fact, the number one reason reported for TT fires while on the road is failed bearings.

In a dozen years of TTing, we have never traveled with the fridge off. 12v on the pod, gas on the 'stream and Lance. My father has had gas/120v only fridges in the 4 class C campers he has worn out. Never traveled without them on.

Side note.. the 5 gallon propane tank will run your fridge non-stop for about 6 weeks..

ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 9:05am
furpod sums things up quite nicely.........we usually go with battery because we get a good charge from the TV but I wouldn't hesitate to go propane if we found that 12v wasn't up to snuff.
Not having ice at the end of the day's travel.....that would be tough!
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 9:37am
I Travel with frig on battery, my vehicle outputs either 13.8 0r 14.1 d.c. volts (i forget which) when i put a meter on it. I've gone 3 - 4 hours on battery, and arrived with a cold frig, and a full battery. I only use battery because its illegal to go to some areas with propane on. Like a gas station to get gas. I almost pulled into a gas station with my propane on once, and quickly changed course to go down the street to shut off propane (frig) before going back. You also cant go thru tunnels with frig on propane. I figure I try to do everything I can to make my trips as enjoyable, and stress free as possible. This makes it one less thing for me to worry about. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 9:44am
Travel with frig on 12V with an occasional use of propane to ensure it still works. Furpod's comments are spot on. And I must admit I always have a real good cooler with me, old habits are hard to break.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 10:06am
We travel with the fridge on 12V. If we are stopping more than 3 or 4 hours without a hookup, I will switch it to propane. Our TV cuts off 12V charge to the TT after about 20 or 30 seconds, so we don't have to worry about that.

I'm one of those who is uncomfortable pulling into a gas station with an open flame, and I don't want to worry about it.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 11:26am
Thanks folks! You are the best!

I pick up Lily in 28 days and so much is going through my mind of what & how.. Love this site and your responses!

My thoughts were to run 12v when driving. You folks just confirmed the thought. 

Again: Thank you!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by mcarter

Travel with frig on 12V with an occasional use of propane to ensure it still works. Furpod's comments are spot on. And I must admit I always have a real good cooler with me, old habits are hard to break.

LOL.. I do see a cooler in the truck bed.. Ya, old habits.. Besides the frig is on the small size..
Since our intent is to Boondock as much as possible, I see no issues with running the propane on occasion. LOL For us, it will be occasionally using the 120v to ensure it still works! 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 11:40am
Yah. I usually put the fridge on AC the day before a trip (and stock it once it's cooled down). Switch it to 12V for the actual trip, and then propane or AC depending on destination.To each his or her own. If you've thought about it, you will settle on what works for you.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 1:30pm
When we bought our R-Pod, we took off a week later for a cross-country trip. We stopped to visit some friends in Charlotte, NC. I have dual 6V batteries, so I thought I would just leave it on 12V. We were awakened in the wee hours with the refrigerator beeping at us. The TV (Ford Escape at the time) may have been charging the battery adequately, but even dual 6V batteries can't keep the refrigerator running for extended periods. I tried to switch to propane only to see flames shooting back toward the valve and burning the wires. A hasty switch to 110V and a backtrack to our dealer to find out that wasps had nested in the flue. Parts were ordered and we continued our trip. Since we were only stopping overnight with no utilities, I ended up having to run propane (dealer had removed wasp nest). After we got back from that trip, parts were replaced and we have run on propane since unless we have shore power in which case we run on AC.

I added bug screens to the openings. No more wasps. An added benefit is that screens act as flame arrestors. I don't have an issue pulling into gas stations to refuel. The R-Pod is far enough away from the pumps that I'm not worried about fumes (that with the screens, of course). For tunnels, if there is a sign, I will pull off and shut down gas until we are clear of the tunnel. We have not encountered any on our travels so far that say no propane permitted, but we may someday.

I am describing what I do. If others want to run on 12V while driving, go ahead. It did not seem to work out well for me. I am not sure if our current Frontier would have adequate power to both charge the batteries and run the refrigerator so I stick with propane.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>