This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Camper locks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camper locks
    Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 4:33pm
Issue of course is, they don't know until they get in that there's really nothing to steal. What can we do.

Basically, thieves are lazy. If you make it easy, they will try. Make it difficult you have that chance that they'll move on. I'm working on that theory.

Years back I told a business owner to go with video cameras. "Too expense" he said. "Not real ones, install the fake ones." Just the 'look' changed everything for him.

I have several 'cam locks' around. I may just mount a couple for the appearance. Hey, worked for him.. Have to say, someone seeing a lock in the middle of the door, they may just wondered..

Was curious what ya all were doing. Thanks folks.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 4:42pm
I do have solar powered security lights. You get close you get lighted. Not sure it is deterrent but makes me happy like at house. I have had fellow campers tell me they were surprised when they approached my Pod and they got light blasted. I can turn them off. I installed them to keep some folks away from the stuff on the ground outside, like fishing poles that an easy pawn. Just an example.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by mcarter

I do have solar powered security lights. You get close you get lighted. Not sure it is deterrent but makes me happy like at house. I have had fellow campers tell me they were surprised when they approached my Pod and they got light blasted. I can turn them off. I installed them to keep some folks away from the stuff on the ground outside, like fishing poles that an easy pawn. Just an example.

Cool idea! I'd have fun with those just watching the critters roaming around the camper at night.

disputin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote disputin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 6:57pm
I was thinking about doing that.  I installed three on the south side of my house 4 years ago because there wasn't any lights but it seemed to have a lot of traffic at night.  They were 10 and they still work great.

Do you have any pictures of where you mounted them?  How many did you install?

Thanks Sean

2002 F150
2016 179

mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:36am
2 on the slide side at each end of trailer, 1 on door side over dinette window, I have a 178. I used silicone, wall anchors and SS screws.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 3:43pm
I have installed the rvlock keyless entry on my pod. Really i just hate carrying keys. If i go swimming or whatever im doing, i dont want to worry about keys. Also we know there are only a few different keys, so theres a chance someone in the park has "your" keys. Its convenient to know if I go out, and my wife, daughter isnt there, she can still get back in when she returns. I also replaced the outside compartment locks with combicam locks. Not so much for security, but to make MY life easier. Once they come out with a finger print, or eyeball scanner, i'll probably get that so I don't need to remember the codes
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I have installed the rvlock keyless entry on my pod. Really i just hate carrying keys. If i go swimming or whatever im doing, i dont want to worry about keys. Also we know there are only a few different keys, so theres a chance someone in the park has "your" keys. Its convenient to know if I go out, and my wife, daughter isnt there, she can still get back in when she returns. I also replaced the outside compartment locks with combicam locks. Not so much for security, but to make MY life easier. Once they come out with a finger print, or eyeball scanner, i'll probably get that so I don't need to remember the codes

Thanks! IMHO, this is the reason to go with electronic locks - a matter of convenience. They do not make the door harder to pry open.

lgblau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lgblau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:41am
Good Morning Mike. How long were the SS screws that you used. Do you think there is any wiring that high up. Thx
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 2:52pm
No wiring I encountered. Screws are 3/4 to 1". I siliconed around mounts just to secure. As I recall lights came with double sided tape.
Mike Carter
2015 178
lgblau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lgblau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 3:21pm
😎
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>