This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Camper locks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camper locks
    Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 4:42pm
I caught a new Youtuber (to me) I do like to listen to and he did a review on a trailer door lock I thought rather interesting.

He bought (actually given as a present) one of those key/key-less trailer door locks that looked impressive. Ya, so was the price(close to $300). Since my intention is to hit many 'free' spots, concern of security of the door lock has been questioned.

We run for the day, wether on the bikes or the TT, I'd like the trailer to be as secure as I can have it. One thought was adding a deadbolt lock.

Question is: If you have added/changed out, what did you do? 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 4:53pm
My Pod came with a key/keyless door lock. I took the batteries out the first year I winterized, because I was concerned they would go dead and lock me out. I considered a deadbolt, but the door is not solid core. A good pinch bar would open it very quickly. I take my real valuables with me or lock them in the TV. I don't leave valuables like jewelry, cash, firearms in the TT when I'm not with it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 5:46pm
I do plan on buying two small safes and securing them in my truck & the TT.i o hear you on the construction of the door and the unit. Someone wants in, they'll get in. I get that.

Hope is to make it as least easy as possible.

Can't tell ya how many locks I have drilled out for friends that have lost their keys..
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 6:08pm
There was a post on another RPod forum, crooks opened trailer by punching pry bar through door and basically ripping it open. Bottom line door was ruined, damage was less than couple thousand with repair to door, my thinking is I'll make it relative easy for a crook to get in, they'll get nothing, and I won't have extensive damage. Also on my 178, if one were to open the front right storage area a small enough person could enter thru the dinette seat. Oh and I have a window in my door. Headed right in the wrong direction:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 6:21pm
I agree with Mike, if they want to get in they will. Rather have the least amount of damage. We keep our valuable in our vehicle with us. We haven't done much remote boondocking, so we haven't had trouble with thieves yet. we hit a lot of KOA's and several have night patrols and a lot of the regulars at Cape Hatteras and us watch each others campers etc.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 6:34pm
Locks are only there for honest people.  
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 8:23am

I don't camp with anything valuable, unless I can carry it on my person and keep it with me. I rely on the OEM locks to discourage opportunists. IMHO these things are only slightly more secure than a tent. Should a determined miscreant, with tools, want to pry his way into my camper and steal my dirty shorts and socks, well.....I suppose that I'll have a little less laundry to do when I get home.   
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:02am
LOL
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:39am

I agree on the KOA's. Personally, I feel a lot safer there than I would at a Walmart or even a truck stop. Yes, it costs a few bucks but, I feel like I can relax. However, to each his own.

we hit a lot of KOA's and several have night patrols
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Live2Camp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by mcarter

I take my real valuables with me or lock them in the TV. I don't leave valuables like jewelry, cash, firearms in the TT when I'm not with it.

Agree! Also, I am fortunately genetically hard-wired not to walk away from my wallet and keys so they are always with me in a small wearable bag (cross-body so it's hands-free) no matter where I am. For using showers at campgrounds if camping solo but sometimes even when we're together, I use a very small see-through dry-bag pouch that I use for the same purpose when kayaking. This keeps my wallet & keys dry while close by. My wallet is hot pink so I can see at a glance that it's indeed accounted for. Great for beach-walking and swimming too. I was going to post a link but there are so many choices I'm skipping that. Mine is not much bigger than a large cell phone, but they come in many sizes. In the old days - as in, when vehicles keys were just keys - I wore my ignition and gas cap-lock keys on a lanyard but too bulky now and I don't want to fob to get soaked. Works great for me, so maybe this idea will help others. Especially those of us who don't want to carry a wallet and keys in our pockets. Smile
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>