R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConfused about need for Surge protection/EMS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused about need for Surge protection/EMS
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:12pm
Read much about need for electrical protection (top of "owner's manual" thread) and was ready to have a hard-wired EMS installed (got all the testers too), then read somewhere here "you can get by without surge protection" (techntrek I think). I'm a new overwhelmed RVer. Could I get some help here?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:31pm
Although you can get by without one you really don't want to. A good surge protector such as those from Technology Research Corp. or Progressive Industries will protect sensitive electronics and your expensive air conditioner. Spikes kill electronics; low or high voltage kills the A/C. Don't go with a cheap version that only offers surge protection. Make sure it also senses and shuts down for over or under voltage. Low voltage is common at CGs during the summer when everyone is running A/C and one saved A/C is worth the cost of the protector. Portable or hardwired is strictly a personal convenience choice. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:57pm
Yes.. you can get by with out surge protection, low voltage, over voltage protection.. as long as you never suffer a electrical supply issue...

Like any insurance, it's your bet/decision. I have life insurance, my brother doesn't. Odds are, he will get by without his family ever needing it.. but.. if he dies.. like I said, odds are against it.. but it DOES happen.

There are RVers with 1000's of nights camped who have never needed one.. I know people who had it save their bacon first trip.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:03pm
There are RVers with 1000's of nights camped who have never needed one.. I know people who had it save their bacon first trip. 

You might not even know if anything happened. If your gone and the power spikes, and then it returns to acceptable limits, the EMS would block it when its bad, then allow it to come back on once good , right?? I think the pendant might tell you something happened, but, only if you look.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:06pm
We had our EMS click off twice.  Once it came back on immediately and another time it stayed off for a while.  We just got into the habit of looking at the display for error messages whenever we enter the RPOD.  But would agree its a must have item, seen to many poor hookups at sites.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:24pm

I believe it is a good investment. Not sold it has to be a hard wired EMS, I have the pendant type that goes between power cable and power stanchion, works fine. I have never had mine click off, but figure if it does, it paid for itself. Cheap insurance.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Heyjohn56 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 9:21am
Thanks. I'm getting a progressive hard-wired installed. I believe the piece of mind will be worth it. This newbie appreciates the willingness of the group to share knowledge and experience. Hope to be able to be of some help someday.
John & Nancy
2017 R-Pod 178
2019 Dodge Durango V6
(hope it's enough)
 Post Reply Post Reply