R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExterior trim - Event Date: 12 Mar 2018 - 12 Dec 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Exterior trim
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:51am
Hi, I just noticed the exterior black trim piece on my Rpod 178 is coming apart at the front end (see photos below).  It looks like water got behind the trim piece in the front, and expanded whatever is behind the front wall (plywood?).  I was planning on letting everything dry completely then just caulk this gap.  As is water would just run down the side of the pod and collect in this gap.  You can see in the photo the old line of calking where the trim has come apart from.  It is about 6-8" in length (the area coming apart).  Any Suggestions?  Thanks!  Steve

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:17am
Stevo220,

What is interesting is I have a 178, and I spoke to a guy in VA with a 178, and we both had this issue. Very same. Same corner. Both of us had 2015 title years. Mine was more separated than yours. My problem was the screws that held the trim on were too short. I replaced with longer screws and caulked. The issue hasn't reoccurred as yet. The screws I replaced it with were about a 1/4" longer.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
burnerjohnmichael View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 4:08pm
There are more issues than what you have experienced.
I haven't the time to play jpg checkers getting a photo on this site.
Please be aware that the small bead of caulking will separate between the outer black strip that runs across each side of the entire trailer and the side wall.
There is a more robust bead on the front side of the strip where it adheres to the front and back sides of the trailer.
Check all your caulking at the side markers, outside shower and water heater, etc. 
An ounce of prevention........
I've had to replace one of the black strips that runs across the inside of the black channels the screws run through holding on the roof as well. .08 cents per inch, but the shipping with kill you.
2 year old r-pod 171.  Other than that, it's perfect.

Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:14pm
Talking about the black trim strips that cover the screws!!!  You should how they finished mine around the slide out.  There are at least 3 different places they ran short of this stuff giving an easy place for water to run right in and sit.  Not sure if it could make its way to the interior or to damage the paneling.  But it looks like total crap.  Getting ready to order a roll of the stuff.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:52pm
I just wrote about the very same trim problem with my 2017 179. Stupid screws to short. I found my screws short or stripped. I bought my R-Pod from a private seller, and have absolutly no recourse.Member
Mike helped me thru the fix. This type of repair should not occur over and over.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply