FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPet Peeve - pun intended

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet Peeve - pun intended
    Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:42am

Over the years it seems that an increasing number of facilities are becomming less and less "pet friendly".  Frankly, I don't blame them!  A certain number of campers seem to feel that confining their pets applies to "everybody else".  This, dispite the fact, that I have yet to stay in a campground that did not have a rule requiring so (usually a 6' leash).

Here is how I restrain Dixie:

In the picture, she looks close to the road, but is actually about 4' away (the ground is sloping down sharply from the road).  While hard to see, there is a plastic coated steel cable (red) on the end of her 6' leash, which is tied to a picnic table (there were 2).  She could get no closer than 4' to the road and was confined to my campsite only.  I have 2 such cables (a 10' and a 20') and along with her leash, can adjust to make sure she stays within the campsite.  I have not once had any problems with individuals or Park Rangers using this set up.  Yes, it is against the rules (6'leash), but it seems as long as she/we are not causing problems, nothing is said.  I was also at a campsite at the end of a dead end road to nowhere, so I gave her a little more "leash" than usual.  (The road actually endeda few feet behind me)

Let me relate the following....during this same camping trip, campers across and down the road a couple of sites, were not restraining their dog.  It was a large older dog and seemed to be well behaved and friendly.  Another camper, with 2 Yorkies, came walking by - just out for a stroll and exercise.  Curiosity got the better of the older dog and he came out onto the road, scared the Yorkies (much yapping and leash pulling) and scared/angered the owner.  Words were exchanged.  "My dog ain't hurt'en nobody"

True - nobody was physically injured in the encounter.  However, it made for a scary, unpleasant situation for the Yorkies and their owner.  I have given up on walking my pet thru the campgrounds.  More times than not, somebody's dog charges out of a campsite and challenges us.  While Dixie, being a young German Shepherd, could likely hold her own in any altercation, still she might get injured and the whole situation is unpleasant and doesn't need to happen. 

The rules are there for a reason -to make camping a happy experience for everyone.  If we all use a little common sense and not cause problems, we can all enjoy it much better.  Those who do not confine their pets are going to ruin it for all - pets will be banned.
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 3:57pm
We also restrain our dog in a similar manner and do not leave her tied out unattended at all.   I have not had problems with her in a camping situation but since she can be dog aggressive in some situations (when she feels threatened by other dogs in close proximity) it is always in my mind that she must be under my control at all times.   As she is a stafforshire bull terrier (but very petite at 45lbs) we have encountered parks that state "no aggressive breeds" and have elected to not test their rules.   It is unfortunate that others have caused them to need these rules.  My dog is extremely friendly and submissive to people and I try to keep her out of situations that she may feel threatened by other dogs as this has contributed to a well deserved fear on her part (she has been attacked previously).   We often like to hike with her and have never had problems on a trail with her with dogs passing us by (we always step off the trail and make her sit stay to allow others to pass) but have had problems with others with loose dogs that approach.    I have to say that it is often the dogs that owners cannot seem to control well either on or off lead that give us the most problems.  The dogs are in control/not the owners.   As a professional in the animal field, I recognize that we cannot predict our pet's behaviors in all situations and need to assure that everyone is going to be safe.   At one of our last parks, the park host seemed surprised that we picked up after her--so I guess that is unusual for the average pet owner.    I am not really surprised at this as people often have no control over their children much less their pets.     I still find that I like my dog better than most people that I have met. 
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 4:13pm

This is Panzer.   She loves the Rpod and would rather sleep in it in the evening than sit around the campfire.    At this site we were boondocking by ourselves in a field. 
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:56pm
I have seen dogs that can reach as far as 1/2 way across the road.  These are the type of people that was mentioned above.  The rules are for "those stupid people, not me". 

Then there are the people that leave Precious in their RV for the day while they go running around.  So the dog starts barking and never stops.  Both of these situations can just plain kill a good weekend.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 12:04pm
Agree with all of the above!  We have a wonderful good natured dog but would not let him run free in a campground.  Dangerous for him if nothing else. 
We always pick up after our dog unless we're out in the woods somewhere.  
A constantly yapping dog can make life miserable and I feel bad for the dog at the same time.

four peas
jjbescher View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 8:21am
We use an ex-pen to keep our dogs next to our rpod.  It takes a little bit to set-up and take down, but gives them the freedom to roam around.  It has taken a couple of tries to get it to the point where the dogs can not escape(my little one is an escape artist, I even had to made mods to the tent end of my camper to keep her in).  I will still be modifying my set-up to make sure they stay in.  When we leave, they either go with us or in the camper.  The longest they are in the camper by themselves is when we go to dinner.
'10 R-pod 173T. TV - '03 Honda Pilot
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 8:38am
For the most part I have found that campers are really the greatest people AND also most of the time they come with some animal or the other. They just seem to be that kind of people.
When we have left our Schnauzer/s behind, it was in a coach, with ac on and All the windows covered. Unless someone knocked on the door or another dog barked (the first dog barks and all the other dogs bark at THAT dog!) all was quiet on the home front.  We tested it often by driving off and coming right back , but not checking in. Just sat in the car for a while. Then opened up and gave her an "attagirl" and treat. Also, I am a friendly sort and spoke with a nearby camper, telling them we were leaving and if the dog barked ( and fitting in with the above reasons) for other reasons that I needed to know and would plan differently. We have a friend who had a Scottie that found out she could stand with her feet on the horn and when she barked the horn would blow. Since all of us were not gone long(and might have seemed long to everyone else), just leaving campground and going home to shower and pick up mail, the campers were rolling around laughing! Give an animal a tool!
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 4:28pm
I got a good chuckle out of that mental image - the dog with front paws on the horn, barking and blowing the horn with every bounce.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
bc matell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 5:04pm
We always take our Lab ,all 86 pounds with us if we leave the campsite. When we are in camp she is on a 20 foot lead. She does bark at people walking by but only a few warning barks. We DO pick up after her. Nothing makes me madder than dog people who don't!
TV 2012 Toyota Tacoma 6 cyl
Misha the Lab
Loving life and living it!
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 5:53pm
One of the things that drew us to RV-ing was the opportunity to take the Campin' Cocker Spaniels with
us.  They are never left alone.  They bark if someone enters our site, until we assess the situation, then
they are hushed if there is no problem.  They are walked numerous times per day, and always picked up
after.  (There's a sentence ending in two prepositions!)

Once, while walking them on a leash, we passed a site that had two Lhasa Apsos running free.  They
basically assaulted Jennifer and Baxter, and the only reason they weren't eaten is that the spaniels were
caught entirely by surprise.  (I call them "Laughing A$$holes", and they looked like a pair of angry bedroom
slippers....)

I'll be very happy to control my pack.  You have to control yours!
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>