R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed help sanitizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help sanitizing
    Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 6:46pm
I'm sanitizing my camper. I put bleach in the water and letting it sit overnight. Tomorrow I will let it drain out. I want to go for a trip but I want the tanks empty and clean. Can somebody advise me. When you hook up to the city water and fill it from the house, do you need to use a filter? Where does the water from the sink and bathroom go, to the black tank? Do you have the water pump switch on anytime you use water? How do I flush out the black tank? It's a 2016 171 and I think this is the first time. Also how do I know the hot water tank is full before I turn it on, how do I turn it on, I know there is a switch outside.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:28pm
Water from the bathroom and kitchen sinks go to the Gray water tank. The toilet goes to the Black water tank.

A pressure limiter (check Walmart's RV equipment or online for one) is needed to make sure you don't overpressure and blow out one of your water lines if you are using city water. The limiter will limit the pressure to about 50 psi, which is safe for RV water lines. At the same time, you can pick up a filter, either single pack with flexible fitting or double pack.

For water to flow from the fresh water tank, you do need to use the pump to provide pressure. If you are connected to city water, you don't need to use the pump.

How do you know  the hot water tank is full? Simple, turn on a hot water tap. If it is sputtering air or air and water, the tank is not full. If you have a good flow without air, then the tank is full. This is provided that you changed the bypass valve(s) to not bypass the tank. One way to make absolutely sure is to open cover on the outside and then open the valve on the hot water heater. If there is water flow and no air sputtering out, then it is full. As for turning it on, for electric, use the switch outside. For propane, the switch is inside. It should be on the same panel as the switch for the water pump.

Flushing black water tank: hook hose to connection on outside. When you turn the hose on, the water will spray inside the tank to help flush things out. Remember that it is a flush so you don't want to keep adding water without the drain being open or you risk filling it so much that you get a stinky brown fountain from the roof vent. That would not be a good thing.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:34pm
Dead "Flushing black water tank: hook hose to connection on outside. When you turn the hose on, the water will spray inside the tank to help flush things out. Remember that it is a flush so you don't want to keep adding water without the drain being open or you risk filling it so much that you get a stinky brown fountain from the roof vent. That would not be a good thing. "
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:44pm
So there are 3 tanks? black, gray and fresh? how much does each hold?
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:54pm
Fresh- 36
Black- 30
Gray- 30 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:16pm
Fresh: 30 gallons in tank plus 6 gallons for hot water heater or 36 gallons total
Black and Gray: 30 gallons each
There is a little more in the lines, but there is no measurement posted for those.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:46pm
What is meant by "city water"? water from the house spicket? There are two places for water, explain how to use each. I know the top one fills the tank, and the lower one is city water whatever that is...
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:58pm
You got it right. The big opening is to fill the tank. The one to which you can attach a hose from a spigot is the city water connection (even if it is from a well pump for naming purposes). Please use a drinking water safe hose to fill the tank or connect to city water. That is not your typical green garden hose which might contain chemicals that are not safe to drink.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:41pm
The other day I flushed the antifreeze out and when done, hit the switch on water pump.  Nothing happened. Is there a level safety switch, or do I have a problem?
Thanks in advance.Smile
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 5:25am
So does the city water go into the tank, or bypass it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>