R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generators
    Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 8:30am
What about a link for an "1800 Rpm Brushless Genends?" I've seen the Predator 3500 in action. It is very, very quiet, much more so than the Generac iX2000 I have now.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:00am
Greetings
I have just come back from dry camping for over a week with about 800 other campers.  I have a Honda 2000 watt inverter generator that I bought in 2005.  It has over 1500+ hours on it and all I have done is change oil, and install 1 new spark plug.  The inverter produces a pure sine wave instead of  square wave like the cheap gens. do.  It is quiet which is a big plus when you are surrounded by other folks camping.  I would  never use a non inverter generator for camping.   The converter in your camper does nothing to change the AC wave form.  The Champion, Generac, Briggs and Straton invertors are good and less expensive, but you get what you pay for.  Yamaha has a very good unit.  I am a Ham radio operator and use the generator for that also.  Ham radios like all electronics require clean power. Please be considerate of your fellow campers when buying a generator.  

Crankster78   2015 R-179
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 1:54pm
I second the vote for a high quality inverter generator. I can and do run my air conditioner and microwave (not at the same time) on my Honda 2000. The new 2200 would be even better. 

An Easy Start was required for the air conditioner so that it could start on the little Honda. After that no problem. You can also convert these gennys to dual fuel so that you can run on propane. Clean and no gasoline stink, but it will cost substantially more to operate that way. 

One note, the inverter generators are not particularly quiet or efficient when run near full load, what makes them quiet and efficient is being able to operate at low rpm under light load. The inverter section does this by maintaining 60Hz AC output with variable engine rpm. Conventional small generators run at 3600 rpm continuously to provide 60Hz output. But even when running the air conditioner you get the noise and efficiency when the compressor has cycled off, when the load is just the evaporator fan at I think a couple of hundred watts.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
krusehead View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:50pm

Because of a favorable Consumer Reports review and a great price, I bought a Westinghouse iGen2500 portable generator this past summer.  It's quiet, seems well built and works fine.  

We live in Colorado and I subsequently ordered the high altitude carburetor kit from Westinghouse.  While the generator seems good, my experience with Westinghouse customer service in trying to get a couple of simple issues resolved pertaining to the high altitude kit was simply the worst.  Like, beyond comprehension terrible.  My advice: If you think you might need to deal with customer service, don't buy Westinghouse.

Short Summary:

Westinghouse sent me the kit with no installation instructions.

I could find no instructions on the Westinghouse website.

I sent 7 emails and made 6 phone calls to Westinghouse (and in response received 7 emails and 1 phone call from Westinghouse) before I received the installation instructions.  3 of my 7 emails were not responded to.

Long Summary:

1. I received the high altitude kit, but it came with no instructions.

2. I went to the Westinghouse website but could find no instructions there.

3. I emailed a query to customer service, but received no response (this was mid-October).

4. 10/23 I called customer service and explained that my email had not been responded to.  I recapped that I had no installation instructions for the kit.  They couldn't help but said they would refer the question to the tech dept.

5. 10/24 I received an email from Engineering saying he didn't understand the question.

6. 10/24 I emailed back asking for installation instructions and asked the minimum safe altitude at which the unit could be run.

7. 10/25 I received an email telling me that there are installation instructions and that the jet must be changed if the unit is returned to sea level.  No installation instructions were provided.

8. 10/26 I emailed back asking where I could get the instructions and reiterated the question about minimum safe operating elevation.  I received no response.

9.  10/31 I called customer service and asked for this to be escalated to management.  The person said he would send me a link to the instructions and that there was no problem running the unit at sea level with the kit installed; it would just make less power. 

10.  10/31 I received an email with installation instructions.

11.  We were out of the country for most of November.  Upon returning I saw that the instructions provided were not for my model.  The instructions stated that the original jet must be re-installed if the unit is to be operated at an elevation under 2,000 ft.  On 12/04 I emailed Engineering and explained that I received the wrong instructions and asked for the correct ones.  I received no response.

12.  12/06 I called customer service and asked for instructions for my model.  Dan said he would check and get back to me.

13. 12/06 Dan called back.  Although he said the installation instructions for all the iGen’s would be the same, he said he would send me the correct instructions for my model. 

14. 12/06 Dan emailed me a response that referenced included instructions but there were none in the email. 

15. 12/08 I installed the kit (without instructions).  The kit included three jet options--A, B, and C.  I guessed that Kit B would be the right one for 5,000 ft. of elevation.  The procedures in the instructions I received on 10/31 were of no help; my model generator is quite different from the instructions. 

16.  12/11 I emailed Dan that I did not receive the instructions with his previous email.  I said I also needed clarification of the minimum safe operating elevation with the kit installed because I had received three different answers.  The first (verbal) was sea level.  The second (verbal) was that there is no minimum--it would operate fine at sea level, although with slightly reduced output.  The third (written) was 2,000 ft., although that was in the instructions for generators other than the iGen that I have so I don't know for certain if it applies.  

In the same email I included the summary of my efforts to acquire instructions and install the kit (numbers 1-15 above) and asked that my summary be forwarded to Westinghouse management.  I concluded by stating:

“My experience with Westinghouse has been terrible beyond belief, starting with purchasing a kit that came with no instructions, continuing through emails that were not responded to, and phone calls and emails that often provided no- or incorrect information. After all these emails and calls, I still have no instructions for installing the kit.”

17.  12/11 Dan emailed me and apologized that there was no link to the instructions in the 12/06 email he sent me, but he did not provide the instructions.  He did not clarify the minimum safe elevation at which the generator can be operated with the kit installed. 

18.  12/11 Dan sent a second email that day that included the link to the instructions.

19.  12/13 I emailed Dan that the kit instructions he provided were the same (incorrect) ones sent to me 10/31.  I explained in detail how the instructions provided did not apply to my model generator.

20.  12/13 Dan emailed and said that they had found the problem that resulted in my getting the wrong instructions and sent me a link to the correct ones. 

21.  12/14 I sent an email to Dan confirming that I received the correct instructions.

Notes: After twice asking for my experience to be shared with Westinghouse management, they did not reach out to me.

I never received clarification as to the minimum safe operating elevation with the kit installed.  The instructions for my generator say the original main jet must be installed for operation at less than 2,000 ft., so I am assuming that engine damage can occur without the original jet. 

Krusehead
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by krusehead

I never received clarification as to the minimum safe operating elevation with the kit installed.  The instructions for my generator say the original main jet must be installed for operation at less than 2,000 ft., so I am assuming that engine damage can occur without the original jet. 
If you're only modding the intake to tolerate 5,000' elevation, I would not expect a giant change below 2,000' elevation. Since the jet is designed to compensate for lower atmospheric pressure, I would not necessarily anticipate "engine damage" at lower elevation. It will surely operate a bit on the lean side, but you may be able to adjust for that.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:50am
Greetings
I have a 2000 Honda inverter.  I'm in ham radio and also use it for field day.   I have at least 2000 to 3000 hours on it and it's 12 years old.  For electronics, inverters are the best for a pure sine wave needed.  It only runs as fast as the load requires, so is very quiet in operation.  Several other companies now make inverter style generators, which should work well.  I dry camp at some large events.  If I end up with someone with a cheap generator nearby, I will move to another location.  When you buy a generator, think of your neighbors.  Hondas are known for being reliable and long lived.  You get what you pay for.  
Happy New Year and safe rv'ing

Crankster78  r-179
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
Shane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 11:43am
I am looking at the Honda EU 7000, is this worth spending a lot of money on. Most will be used for the RV trips, but I will use it at the house also.
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Shane

I am looking at the Honda EU 7000, is this worth spending a lot of money on. Most will be used for the RV trips, but I will use it at the house also.
That is about twice the power that you would ever use in an R-pod, and maybe 3X the power you would "typically" use. a 2KW, or possibly a 2.5KW would be more than adequate as long as you paid attention to microwave and A/C usage.

However, if you're planning on using it at home, it might be a good choice. Personally, I wouldn't want to be dragging a ~~ 260 lb generator around when I'm camping.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Woody.1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 2:06pm
Well I went with the Westinghouse iGen 4500. Have 10 hours on it is all and I like it so far. It has remote start, which I guess will come in handy. Got it off Amazon for right around a $1000.00. And here’s what I did when I purchased it off of Amazon, which has nothing to do with the generator itself. Our grocery (city market/King Soopers) store has a gas station and not all do, but they had 4 times fuel points when you buy a gift card. I bought 10 - $100.00 Amazon gift cards with my points credit card, loaded the Amazon gift cards, purchased the generator and got $1.00 off per gallon for a few fill ups because of the 4 times fuel points and received points on my credit card.Thumbs Up 

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 12:57pm
After our most recent trip, I now feel that I can recommend the Firman dual-fuel generators.  The link is for an upgraded model of the one we bought through Costco.

While not the quietest generator, it is quieter than many. It has sufficient power to run the AC and to charge the battery/batteries simultaneously. Being able to run on propane is a big plus as it runs cleaner and one does not have to worry about stale gasoline, ethanol, needing fuel stabilizer, spillage, storage of stinky gas containers, etc. Electric start is a big plus. One can pay much more for an equivalent generator, but I don't know if one will get a better one in this price range.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123