Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs this a decent deal? New to R-Pods - Event Date: 03 Feb 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Is this a decent deal? New to R-Pods
    Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 11:08am
Hi guys!  Super excited to be part of the R Pod owners group soon!  Hoping someone with some buyers knowledge could tell me if this is a good deal.....

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2017-Forest-River-R-POD-179-5000892700

I live in Lake Tahoe and have noticed local dealers in the West are far more expensive than dealers than those heading East.  Am I correct in assuming this? I am willing to travel East to get a better deal.  Im pretty sold on the R pod vs other trailers.  I currently have a 1968 Aristocrat Lo-liner but looking for something more modern and suitable for my family and I.  
Any help is appreciated!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 11:45am
From middle TN, I think it is high. A brand new 179 is a thousand more here, and that is negotiable. Sure this is to. I bought a year old 178 for 12K in GA. Not sure if west coast is higher or not. West has it's own manufacturing plant, where east and middle come from IN.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 12:28pm
Welcome to the group! Couch"s rv nation usually has the best price around, might be worth checking with them if you are willing to travel.  The only concern with that would be that a lot of dealer wont do warranty work unless you buy through them.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
disputin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 12:52pm
To give some perspective.  We recently (January 2018) purchased a 2016 179 off of RV Trader and drove from Portland to LA to pick it up (we actually drove past Tahoe on the way home, but no time to stop Ouch).  We paid 14K+ for the trailer, but it came with a dome tent, new class e tires, anti-sway hitch, electric water heater, line conditioner, installed usb and 12v outlets, wire racks and shelves, a shelf across the bed, etc, etc, so we figured it was worth the price.  I valued the mods the previous owner had already completed.  The downside is because it was used in the SW, the hard water deposits in the water heater need to be cleaned out.

I think I would try and get the price down closer to 14k than 15k for the 2017.
The warranty is a question, I haven't looked into it, I figured a 2016 is probably out of warranty, and I just found a good local dealer to do any work I need done, or I'll do it myself.

Sean and Christine, unintroduced lurkers....
2016 179
2002 F150
crazycoyote View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 2:12pm
I'm in Arizona and drove to Walcot Iowa to buy my RP180 in Sept. 2016 from Cheyenne Camper Center. I saved $5000 then buying out here in the west, including Quartzsite Camping show.  Took me about three nites in a Motel, still saved a lot of money, and no  gimmicks to deal with. They also finance with US Bank.. Greatest people to deal with. Check them out on E-bay under Rpods. Properly  not the best weather to deal with driving this time of year. But check them out. NO trick dealings.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 10:06pm
I'm not going to be so negative on the deal you found. If you have them throw in maybe a few goodies such an electric tongue jack or WDH it would sweeten the deal for me.

When we started to look for the best deal for our Pod I looked within a couple hundred miles plus area. If you find a Pod that is near you for a decent price, but maybe not the cheapest, which is being sold by and outstanding dealer who stands behind his product that worth more in my book then the cheapest deal you can find. 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Zephyr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 12:29am
Wow!  Thank you guys and gals! This is super helpful!  I feel like with the support I’ve recieved already, this is the right camper for me. I will be towing it with a Toyota Tacoma (has its own forum ((Tacomaworld)) and with your help I’ll be able to get my family’s camp trips right!  Think I’ll be holding tight on purchase till the deals that you all have recommended are found. I’ll be searching other threads, but in the mean time, is newer truly better?  I love the color of older r pods, but the newer pods have such great amenities. Outside shower!  Higher clearance!  Wired solar power!?  Clearly I have a lot to learn, but but wow! What a great camper trailer!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 5:24am
Good luck and Happy hunting!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Zephyr

Wired solar power!?
More hype than "useful". On our pod, the "solar" connector is on the right-rear of the pod, and it's nothing more than a pair of wires going to the battery/ies. It's almost as simple to just connect your solar directly to the battery/ies at the front of the R-pod.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
crazycoyote View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 3:26pm
How right you are Glue Guy. I use 10 gauge wire directly to my battery connector up front  at the battery box where it should be. That plug on the back is for a light or some small 12 volt plug in. Actually, useless selling add on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>