R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPower cord pulling out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power cord pulling out
    Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 10:19am
In hopes my experience will benefit others -

In the past year, our power cord has pulled out twice when moving, the 2nd time today. I always tug it to make sure its seated well and check the lights to make sure it's functioning before starting out. 

I do loop it once around the vertical tongue jack in order to shorten it so that there is less 'slack' to it. It seemed like a good idea at the time. The problem appears to be that the cord is stiff when cold and lacks the ability to flex under pressure.

I hate to see it drooping down to catch on something and could see using zip cords or electric tape to shorten it and fasten it down, but is this necessary?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 10:25am
If it is fully plugged in, there is a tab over which the cover of the receptacle should hook. That keeps it from being pulled out. As for hanging down, as long as it is not in danger of dragging, it should have sufficient slack to allow for turns. If you have it too tight, when you turn, there is no alternative but for it to pull out. I have not shortened it and have never had it pull out. But if you are concerned, figure out a way to use a bungee cord to support it in the middle so it can flex as needed and still be supported. After all, you don't always tow it in a straight line.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 1:06pm
+1 to what Stephen is saying. You do need some slack to allow for turning, but you don't want it dragging either. The tab should be held by the cover; unless it's pulled on really hard, it should not come out.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 2:58pm
If you have enough length and it's still pulling out, you might put a wrap of black plastic electric tape around the plug and the spring loaded cover that has the tab on it mentioned by StephenH.  It may be that the spring tension is a little weak and it's not enough to keep the little tab engaged on the plug.  The tape is cheap, easy to remove, and quick to put on.  You may want to also investigate whether you can replace the spring on the plug cover on your TV.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 5:23pm
I wish I had an easy solution-  I don't, without being able to see the situation in person- but I have a word of critical advice-

Figure it out and fix it!

More than the wires to your lights is involved.  Your trailer brakes are actuated through the same connector.  Very bad to lose trailer braking.  

Suggestion-  Don't loop the cable.  Let it sag.  Insert the 7-conductor plug firmly, as you have been doing, and lower the cover to latch the plug.  Then take a sturdy zip fastener and cinch it up tight around the cover and plug.  This might help insure the tab stays locked by the cover.
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 5:27pm
+1   
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 5:57pm
I had difficulty getting my power plug to stay seated due to a difficult to reach location under the bumper. The plug does "snap" into the plug cover but I didn't trust it initially so I used a zip tie to fasten the cord to the hitch bar going into the receiver, of course leaving more than ample slack for turns. This minimized the pull, or weight of the rest of the cord on the the plug. I've since gained confidence in the connection but do this anyway with a velcro strap just because I like it that way.

Good luck
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
rda54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 6:50pm
I had the same problem and I replaced the end because it would not stay in. Now it works great.I don't like being without lights or brakes.
Ronald & Lonna
2014 178
2016 Chevy 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply