R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedholding tanks - Event Date: 25 Feb 2018 - 25 Apr 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: holding tanks
    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 5:44pm
can traveling with full holding tanks cause them to fall out? in an rp 178?
Jim
we are semi-retired happy campers
2015 R-pod rp 178
2015 frontier club cab v6
Jim n Kathy
Charlie girl a wacky jack russel
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by jimhibb

can traveling with full holding tanks cause them to fall out? in an rp 178?

Normally, no.  There have been reports of tanks not being supported properly, but if they are, you should be fine.  You'd do well to inspect them before travelling.

The severity of the roads you travel could be a factor too.  A long course of giant potholes, for example, probably wouldn't be good.

All that said, nothing is 100% predictable with a travel trailer.  Tanks falling out are about as likely as wheels falling off or the roof blowing off.  Almost all of these things are much less likely with owner due diligence.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jimhibb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 7:33pm
thank you Tars, I was thinking that would be true. 
Jim
we are semi-retired happy campers
2015 R-pod rp 178
2015 frontier club cab v6
Jim n Kathy
Charlie girl a wacky jack russel
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 8:42pm
I have a 178. I do not travel with a full fresh water tank, it adds 300 lbs to the rear of the trailer. Also when I inspected the tanks the mounting brackets had pulled from the frame rails. They are held in by sheet meeting screws, I modified the 3 moveable brackets on the tanks by bolting the brackets thru the frame and eliminating the sheet metal screws. I did one on each bracket. I agree "normally" they will not fall out, but they can and have. I'm satisfied mine will never. If you look at yours, you will see each tank has one fixed and one screwed on cross frame rail. one 5/16 bolt in each screwed on bracket will permanently fix.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 8:58pm
Jim,

Here is copy paste of post that started this - you can find using advanced search - my TT is a 2015 178 and did have this issue. I fixed it before I had tank drop issues:

TimandDiana

Quote TimandDiana Quote Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Black tank fell from r-pod
    Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 5:15pm

Hello! My wife and I are relatively new r-podders: 2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 pulling a 2015 Hood River Edition 178. This is our second season touring parks with it, and we love it! On the road right now; just entered Zion. But 2 days ago, on the freeway between Tuscon and Phoenix, the black tank literally fell away from the lower frame supports and dragged along over the pavement. It was only held between the two wheels by the bracket that holds the waste dump connection, and the cold water pex line on the opposite side that is used to hose down the inside of the tank.
The tank was essentially empty during travel. Let me say that it wasn't all that obvious what was happening. The only thing that tipped me off was a very faint low harmonic noise coming from somewhere. I first thought it was the roadway and even switched lanes since the right slower lane was much rougher. Finally I pulled over and to my dismay found the tank sitting on the ground. It looked completely intact other than the trailing edge which had opened a seam where it had dragged on the roadway. The two plumbing connections on the top of the tank had severed cleanly.
So, I'm 4 months over the one year comprehensive warranty period and it looks like I'm getting an estimate from my R-pod service department for around $750 to $1000 to purchase and install a new black tank. Forest River warranty folks look like they are not going to budge and give me a break on this one. Bummer! So, I have two questions for all of you out there. First, have any of you had similar experiences with this model or another?
The second and perhaps even more relevant question relates to this installation. The black tank on this model, and I assume a number of others as well, is supported in place with two horizontal steel frames that span the width of the R-pod. The front, less sturdy horizontal frame, has two welded 2-3 inch brackets on each end of the frame that machine screw to the main R-pod frame. There are 4 places for screws to go into the frame. Mine was installed with only 2 screws and on one side it looks like only one screw was used and that sheared off most likely prior to the tank coming loose. Does your installation have 2 screws or four on each side?
This info might help in any further negotiations with Forest River. I guess I can count myself fortunate that the tank hadn't completely broken loose and caused a serious accident.
Thanks for reading this and for any comments or advice you have!

Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 10:34am
After reading about this, I also checked mine and found gaps between the bracket and frame. I took it to my dealer where they tightened them, stripping one in the process. The tech drilled another hole and torqued in another screw. I asked why they weren't bolted and was told the screws were "industry standard" which seems to be justifying an inadequate mounting. Like Mike, I also drilled and installed stainless steel bolts, washers, and nylock nuts, one for each bracket. I trust mine will also never come loose.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 11:15am
Originally posted by StephenH

I asked why they weren't bolted and was told the screws were "industry standard" which seems to be justifying an inadequate mounting.

That about sums it up. Typical dealer and industry response. This is a known and old problem and needs to be fixed.

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9497&KW=gap&PID=89564&title=171holding-tank-support-and-fender-extension#89564

Please note that any gap must be filled with washers. If you use sheetmetal screws use 1/4" #14 stainless steel hex head screws and large fender washers to fill any gaps. If any gap exists or if the brackets do not mate squarely the screws see a bending moment. Screws are designed for and are strongest in tension and shear: weakest in bending. Of course through bolts are always better if you can use them but the same gap filling rules apply.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 11:15am
I haven't seen many reports on this issue after the 2016 model years, maybe something changed. I also can't remember if I used 1/4 or 5/16 bolts, whatever SH used, I used same, either way if issue exists it won't take long for the metal screws to loosen. If you want more info - GOOGLE - "RV Holding Tanks Falling Off". The key is look for gap between the cross frame support bracket and the frame rail when you inspect.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply