Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed5 month trip with 2 kids.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 month trip with 2 kids.
    Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 9:55am
I think for the age of the children, the dinette bunk is comfortable, of course I come from the generation that slept in the rear window on long trips.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 10:29am
LOL Boy I remember those days!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 10:57am
Yah. I remember playing license plate poker on trips.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Old & out-to-play View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 11:14am
May I suggest that you find the nearest dealer that sells r-pods and has a decent selection and drive there to look at all models available. Spend some time, some real time, looking at the various models to determine which model will work best for your needs as you’ll be living in “close quarters” for a long time.  Also consider storage space as it may seem a trivial matter now but I assure you it will not be once you are on the road especially with the kids and you have to move stuff around constantly to do basic daily living activities.

Once you determine which model fits your needs everything else will begin to fall into place.

Bert
Old and in the way so now it's time to play
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 4:26pm
+1 , lay on the bed or dinette and have the kids try the bunks............  give a while and get a feel for it. We did that when we bought our 171 and 179. Spent a couple hours each time, dealer was fine with it.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 11:24am
Bear in mind too, The r-pod comes with an r-dome if you choose (i would). Which is an enclosed screened in room that measures approx 10 feet high, 13 feet wide, and 8 feet deep.  You could put a couple fold up cots in there, or just use the open space to sit, or whatever you want. The room can be totally open on the sides, being more like just an awning, or it can be a screen room, and if it rains, or its cool, you close the outer flaps to stay dry, maybe a little warmer if you add a heater. It's a wonderful addition.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Northrnmatt

Greetings rpod owners.  I've been reading on this forum for some time and finally decided to join.  Really hoping to get some advice from you experienced podders out there.
I am taking 8 months of parental leave starting next week and my wife and I have decided to buy a used trailer and spend about 4 months on the road - visiting family, new cities and the Cdn and US national parks.  All my research has led me to choosing an rpod as our trailer of choice.  We have about 2 months to prepare (including finding and purchasing an rpod.)
The catch is that we're going to attempt this trip with a 3 year old and a five month old.  

Sounds like great plans! My advice as a life-long camper and as someone who has taken others' children camping often enough, is to buy a trailer that has a comfortable bed for you & your wife. Adults are more particular (understandably & for a variety of reasons), and need their rest so they can do stuff like drive, cook, take care of kiddos, etc. :-) Your children won't care what they're sleeping on as long as they're camping, are near mom & dad, are warm and are getting to eat stuff like scrambled eggs, hot dogs and s'mores (ok, not the 5-month old yet but you get the point). My parents had a really comfy double bed for themselves in our canvas tent and put us kiddos variously on cots, air mattresses and when I was really little, a comfy bed of army blankets underneath me (the "two uses and a backup" mentality, in case we needed extra blankets with our sleeping bags). I don't remember any bad nights. I only remember how much fun we had; so much so that camping is still my #1 choice of traveling, vacationing, weekending, etc. Another sibling, equally influenced by "creative bedding" carried her infant in a fruit crate wedged into the front passenger area of her MG, as child seats didn't exist then and she came up with a system to keep him from flying out of the car as she went flying around the curves. That crate made a great portable bed for awhile too; the way parents now use car seats away from their cars. Good for you getting all of you started while they're young! You'll never regret it :-) Hope you let us know what you decide, and that of course it's an RPod :-) 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Northrnmatt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 4:47pm
Thanks for the input everybody!  Pulled the trigger on a 2014 178 HR and working on a plan to go pick it up right now - hope to have it home on the weekend to start getting it ready.  We had a look inside a friends 177 and decided we could live with that layout but are happy to have a bit more space that comes with the 178.  I gather from looking at the forum that the 178 doesn’t offer a ton of storage so I’ll be looking to maximize our space.  
Really excited to be joining the club!
Matt
2009 Jeep GC Diesel
2014 178hre (For Sale)
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 5:10pm
Actually Matt, I have been very pleased with what I can store, all about management off space and weight distribution, but the forward storage with areas under dinette seats and rear pass thru has been good to me. I tow with a pickup so have the added bonus of the bed, just remember everything counts as it pertains to weight. We do most of our cooking outside, or with electric appliances, so the side kitchen has not been an issue. I don't use the furnace, so I have the area under bed for storage also, addition of shelves to front and rear helped with small items. Having been around the military all my life, it's amazing what you can put in a duffle bag:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12