R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedForest River warranty customer support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forest River warranty customer support
    Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 11:33am
Another thread mentioned the following Forest River policy re warranty work that I think deserves separate emphasis:

http://rvtravel.com/forest-rivers-new-policy-good-news-or-an-idiots-tale/

I think that this policy REALLY sets Forest River out from its competitors.

Now, if FR would only arrange that dealers would do warranty work, whether or not the trailer was purchased at that dealer, I will think I've died and gone to heaven (almost).
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 4:09pm
Sooooooo, it's not only about what the warranty covers and doesn't but, also, about getting work done that is (perhaps) covered.  IMHO, this is a bad company and does not seem willing to stand behind its product.  The first solution to those who are disgruntled is not to buy or recommend FR products.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 4:56pm
Tibof,

Are you working on your R-Pod or have you given up? I have been watching your posts on spoiler seal with interest, I have owned a variety of FR products and all required work with time. My Pod has been fairly dependable, I never had a warranty, I've maintained it myself. Kind of like my house didn't come with warranty either. and my TV no warranty, I maintain it myself. To me it is about ownership and adapting to be able to do repairs at all levels. I would buy another FR product. Knowing full well I have to be able to fix things. Warranty is not the end all to ownership it is a aid to ownership IMHO. I sincerely appreciate your opinion but I respectfully disagree with your conclusion.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 5:20pm
I concur with Mcarter. I've seen some schlocky things on Airstreams, which will cost you 3X (and more) what an Rpod costs.You have to ask yourself what is reasonable.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 9:24pm
We have to keep in mind that r-Pods aren't exactly the Mercedes of travel trailers.  And some are not going to be built as well as they ought to be, especially those who have the major assembly work done following a long weekend.  And since the warranty work is performed by dealers, not everyone is going to be happy with the result.  But, considering that we've purchased trailers at the lower end of the pricing scale, we cannot reasonably expect service levels to rival those at the highest end of the market.  

Mike is right, the r-Pod is something that requires constant tinkering and maintenance.  Just when you think that everything is working perfectly something new will pop up that needs attention.  But, as many, including myself, have observed in other posts, this trailer is subjected to effectively a magnitude 8 earthquake every time you take it down a bumpy road.  Stuff is going to happen, even to the best of travel trailers.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 5:20am
Well stated!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 8:36am
According to two dealers that I know they both prefer dealing with Forest River over the competition.  They hate Keystone.  One independent service center makes you sign a contract for work that states you are responsible for any warranty work if the costs exceed what the manufacturer pays them.  He will not do work any more for Keystone and Forest River pays him 100%.  Unfortunately we bought a Keystone because it had the best floorplan for us.  There was a Forest River version called the Heritage Glen that on paper had the same floorplan but we couldn't go with it as it was missing key items (mostly closet space and closed shelves over the bed).  So we negotiated the best price we could from a local dealer and still paid $1000 more than a competitor but he was two hour drive vs 20 minutes.  Hopefully we will not have significant problems and we can get the small stuff fixed close by.
So my advice is:  Do not fear buying an RPOD, they are as good as the competition who charges more.  Forest River backs their product (except if they find out you bought it 1000 miles away and had it shipped to you).  Buy local if you are not handy even if it costs a little more.  All RVs (especially single axle) will break something as you bounce along the highway.  Read, read, read this forum to learn about what can break so you know what to look for.  Many things can be caught in advance.  Lastly enjoy RVing.  Sales were up an amazing 7% last year, over 500,000 units.  It ain't what it used to be (what the old timers keep telling me) but it is still great way to travel and see this great country of ours.  We pick up our new RV in a few weeks and will be hitting the road.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 8:57pm
Just took my first trip with my 2019.5 180 and propane leaked out the supply hose from tank to regulator. Bad hose crimp job. Purchased new hose at camping world. Then it leaked from hose fitting at regulator output. Tightened. Still smelled. So I dropped hose from clamp under under battery and hose smashed from poor assembly. Called dealer to inform so he could have new hose in stock when I bring it in for repair. You all know how that was received. I’ll have a hose made and replace it myself. Tried to call factory to ge a part number if I go the dealer rout. The never called me back. I’ll fix it and hold my toung when people say HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR RPOD.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 7:16am
Originally posted by ribet

Just took my first trip with my 2019.5 180 and propane leaked out the supply hose from tank to regulator. Bad hose crimp job. Purchased new hose at camping world. Then it leaked from hose fitting at regulator output. Tightened. Still smelled. So I dropped hose from clamp under under battery and hose smashed from poor assembly. Called dealer to inform so he could have new hose in stock when I bring it in for repair. You all know how that was received. I’ll have a hose made and replace it myself. Tried to call factory to ge a part number if I go the dealer rout. The never called me back. I’ll fix it and hold my toung when people say HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR RPOD.

Two things..

One, if asked you should honestly tell people how you feel about your R-Pod.

Two, and the important one, you should also tell them how you feel about your DEALER. FR isn't set up for, nor do they have a real protocol for, dealing with individual owners. Neither does Ford. Boeing, or Whirlpool, etc. They have a Dealer and retailer network, and that is who the end user is supposed to use for warranty issues. Once that venue is exhausted, then they generally have a small group/department/lawyers/SME's who can figure out what to do next with a owners problems outside the normal warranty process.

BTW, leaking propane fittings are absolutely a dealer issue. Your dealer is paid, by FR, to conduct a PDI with the new owners, including running of all systems, to insure they all work, and all work properly.

Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 10:07am
We were in Indiana RV country this past summer and took an RV factory tour (not FR).  We found out they are all made the same way.  That is they are actually paid on a per unit basis.  So the more units they make the more money they make.  If someone is out that day (sick) they usually do not get replaced so the others have to chip in and do their work. So the model is flawed snce it is only common sense that if you push it to produce more units in a day there probably will be mistakes made.  BUT this is true of ALL makes.  We also took a tour of the Ford 150 plant and it uses a different model.  The number of trucks produced per day is fixed (no pressure to produce more to make more) and if a person is sick they are replaced on the floor so no one is doing two jobs at once.  Unless the industry as a whole changes their system there will be RV's coming off the "assembly" line with issues.  So the advice I continue to give is RPODS are as good/bad as the competition.  If you are not handy please buy from a local dealer so that you can easily get warranty work done even if you have to buy an RPOD knock off or pay a little more.  But if you are handy buy an RPOD from a wholesaler and save thousands (e.g. Couch's) knowing that you probably will not be able to get warranty work done at the closest RPOD dealer you did not buy from.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>