Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Winter camping - any advice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
YODT View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote YODT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter camping - any advice?
    Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 8:50am
Yes I will be dry camping, with solar panels on top I will have fully charged batteries at the end of the day. I can leave the furnace running most of the night at a low temperature so that should keep the camper fairly warm. And midges work well for winter flies!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 8:31am
I take it you will be boon docking. It would take cold for a considerable time to freeze the fresh water tank. However you can carry water for drinking and cooking and leave the tank dry. Any water you use from freshwater tank is going to go in the black and grey tanks. Same for latrine use. If you are camping at an improved site, they make a heated water hose, that I found handy. My last experience in winter camping, what froze were the drains. I didn't have a "Y" drain hose, so I hooked up to the black and the grey drain froze.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
RichC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 8:17am
I no nothing about skiing but out West I start fly fishing with Prince nymph, elk hair caddis for dryBig smile.  
YODT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote YODT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 5:49pm
I plan on taking my 179 to Rio Grand del Norte (north of Taos, NM) the first week of March for some winter fly fishing and maybe a day skiing.  While days might touch on 50 deg, the nights usually hit the upper teens.  I have some anti freeze in both the black & grey tanks but any advice for the freshwater tank & pump?  I used the compressor method to winterize for Dallas, so the fresh line is currently dry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123