FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrom Pop-Up to hardside

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: From Pop-Up to hardside
    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 9:37pm
Hello Everyone,

We just got our 179. After years of popup camping we're excited to move to a hard side. Saw the first R Pod 3 years ago at the RV show and were finally able to buy one at the RV show 2 weeks ago. 

One question I have is do we need to use sway bars on the hitch? I know the Highlander can handle the weight and we didn't need it with the popup.

Thanks and happy camping.

RnR
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 10:22pm
Congratulations and Welcome! We got our 179 in December, 2015. We have had a number of trips with it including extended ones across the US. We have more planned.

If you can hitch it to the Highlander and it does not cause too much sag in the back and raising the front, perhaps a sway bar would be okay. Better is a hitch that combines sway control with weight distribution. That is what I use. Some people use the E2 hitch. When I bought mine, the dealer installed an Equal-i-zer 4-point stabilization hitch. Others use the Andersen No-Sway. Any of those would do.

The 179 is likely much heavier than your pop-up. In addition, when fully loaded, the tongue weight is likely to be significantly higher than that of the pop-up also. Please check your Highlander's manual for towing information. It may specify use of a weight distribution hitch for best stability and towing capacity.

Edit: I hope you have lots of great adventures and make many wonderful memories in doing so.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
rnrplayhrd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 10:41pm
Thanks for the great reply. I’ll definitely look into combo hitch. It’s still deep winter here (NW of Chicago about 15 miles south of the Wis boarder) so we have a month or so before camping season starts. 
Ron & Robin
Lady (German Shedder)
2018 179
2018 Highlander
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 11:18pm
Congrats!  Moved out to Idaho from Chitown in 2004.  Bought a '17 179 that we tow with our '10 Highlander limited.  At first only had a sway bar.  But after a trip to Zions last spring, I got an e2.  Best decision I made.  Takes the bounce out and brings my front end down. 
Swing by the Brat Stop and have one for me.  
Safe travels!
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 9:07am
We tow a 172 with a Jeep 4dr Wrangler.  When we bought the pod the Jeep and pod sat level without a WD hitch.  Since our first pull was to TN from FL the more I though about it (we have a larger TT we pull with a RAM 3500 diesel dually) the more I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and get the WD hitch and sway bar.  Pulling back from FL it pulled great, never swayed.  Pulls great every time and I don't worry about.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 10:29am
The two main differences between the pop-up and the pod are going to be weight, and wind resistance. You can make a reasonable assessment of the weight issue when you hook it up & observe the stance of the TV and the TT; both should be close to level. The other is what percent of the capability of your TV you are at. If you are less than 75% of the capacity of your TV, you will e good. If you are in the 90%-100% range, you should reconsider your situation.

The wind resistance is tougher to judge, because you won't really know until you are out on the road. If the TT "feels" like it is pushing the TV around, then you should apply whatever anti-sway and/or balance remedies you can.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 4:05pm
Congrats and welcome. I have a 172, the lightest of the bunch, and I tow with a Frontier, which has a tow capacity of 6100 - 6500 pounds, depending who you ask. I automatically got a WDH system without wondering IF it was needed. I say, err on the side of caution. I didn't even want to try the sway bar alone, especially knowing you have to adjust them, and you can't back up with it, Etc.. I just want to get in and go, and know that I've taken the advised precaution. It's the same thought process that prompted me to immediately install an EMS system in my pod BEFORE I found out " I should've" . 
Btw, I just completed my first season going from my Starcraft popup, that I loved, to my R-pod 172 which I adore. You've made a great decision so far, I'm sure you'll continue with that.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 5:42pm
Welcome to the group! Congrats on your 179!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 8:01am
 As others have recommended, a light duty WD hitch with sway control is great when set up correctly. It certainly smooths the ride, especially at highway speeds.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
rnrplayhrd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 9:56am
Thank You everyone. The responses have been very helpful. After talking to the techs at Camping World we have decided to go with the E2. After waiting 3 years the 179 is sitting in our driveway. We sat in it last night checking every thing out (except the water features) and it all checks out. I think Forest River and the dealer could have done a little better job cleaning it out and prepping it but that's not that big of a deal. Can't wait till the snow melts and spring gets hers to take it on it's maiden voyage!

Thanks again.
RnR

Ron & Robin
Lady (German Shedder)
2018 179
2018 Highlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>