Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Long winter
    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Stephen, I first used Goo-Gone and it left a horrible mess and didn't get the glue off.  Lacquer thinner damages the gelcoat though not as badly as acetone.  The alcohol, once you get the stickers off with a window razor, dissolves the glue and leaves no residue.  The remainder of the glue that the paper towel doesn't pick up can be brushed off with a fresh towel with alcohol on it.  Also, the alcohol is a little safer as it is water soluble and isn't as easier on the lungs when you are exposed to the vapor, even outside.  And, it leaves no trace once evaporated, unlike lacquer thinner that leaves a slight residue, again the same as acetone.

Gel-coat is not a lacquer. It is a two-part coating that uses a catalyst to cure like an epoxy. Once it cures, it is very tough. I'm not suggesting pouring lacquer thinner on and letting it sit there. However, wiping with a rag soaked in lacquer thinner will not damage the gel coat as it does fully evaporate. When I worked at Uniflite (no longer in existence) years ago, we used lacquer thinner to clean the gel coat, both inside and outside the yachts we built. It removed things like excess contact cement and other things that soap and water would not touch.

That being said, I mis-wrote (mis-remembered is more like it). I meant to recommend low VOC mineral spirits like Jasco Slow To Dissove Odorless Mineral Spirits. I used this on my R-Pod when I redid the spoiler and installed (and then removed) the vent cover to remove excess lap sealant. It worked well and did not affect the gel-coat.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 10:48am
Yes, I know what gelcoat is.  I did a lot of fiberglass work on various boats I owned and found the most difficult thing to do was to get the pigments properly balanced to get a good gelcoat match to the existing color.  In my experience acetone left a dull finish on the gelcoat and it took some work with polish it back to it's normal sheen.  The same was true with lacquer thinner though much less of a problem than acetone.  In addition, any petroleum based highly volatile solvents leave a residue that you have to get off or it shows later.  

It's not good for you to breathe the vapors of any petroleum based solvents or resins.  We tragically discovered that with high incidents of brain cancer among those who worked in industries where fiberglass resins were in common use.  It's why OSHA has had organic respirator requirements for those who work around those chemicals.  Alcohol, though toxic, is not quite as dangerous.  If you're working in an area where the vapor can accumulate, an organic respirator is a must even with alcohol.

Denatured alcohol really works well removing sticker glue.  I know.  I've done it.  It leaves no residue and, as I said before, is water soluble so clean up is relatively easy.  Though alcohol has its risks, in comparing the Safety Data Sheets of alcohol and lacquer thinner, I'd rather take my chances with alcohol in a very well ventilated or outdoor area any day over lacquer thinner.  And no solvents should ever be used in a confined, inadequately ventilated space or you're gambling with disaster.

You can go buy expensive exotic chemicals and have to deal with the complications of using one solvent to clean another off and breathe all that stuff if you like, but for my buck, denatured alcohol works really well and is safer to use.  In fact, it works very nicely to clean the dirt off of old caulk and sealants, which I also did yesterday while basking in the warm Nevada sun.  

So today our Pod gets a bath, and a full treatment with Meguiar's.  Since it has no more stickers (or sticker glue residue), it should be like a beautiful puffy white cloud rolling down the desert highways.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 6:48pm
Had a truly great time in Punxsutawney and Gobblers Knob! Highly recommend everyone try it once.
I have thought we had some cold weather in Vermont, but wow! They have some serious cold weather and wind chill !!!
Got some nice winter pictures from both the US and Canadian sides of Niagara Falls!!

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 6:49pm
Wasn’t real happy with ole phil’s Prediction of 6 more weeks of winter. Our camping season is short enoughThumbs Down
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:15pm
Come out west Leo, it's t-shirt weather even here in northern Nevada.  I worked on my wax job, finally quitting at 6, all with a t-shirt and jeans, sweating.  That Meguiar's wax system is a lot of work.  I had forgotten what it was like in my old sailboat days.  But, another warm day tomorrow to put on the last two coats.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 9:54am
Leo,

I saw you got another storm coming this weekend. Hopefully we got our last snow this week.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 5:20pm
Well, I finished waxing our Pod.  Now it's pure white with no loopy stickers or a brand name.  It was up into the 70's and I had to finally give in and put on some shorts for the last layer of the 3 phase Meguiar's.  I was really a little too sunny to put on wax, but I worked fast and it came out fine.  

Would you in the east mind sharing a few of your storms?  We really could use a few or we're going to be seriously short of water.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 6:13pm
Just got back tonight 12 degrees and windy , supposed to get 4 inches or so tomorrow...................on top of the 2-3 we got while we were gone. Which will be on top of the snow and ice we already had!  
Keep life interesting!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 6:15pm
We do plan on heading out west in probably a year or so have a long list of thing to see out that way!
Looking forward to it! 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 7:35am
Thumbs Down Another 14 inches over the last few days. Looks nice all white and clean, but............
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>