Topic ClosedGetting ready for Solar season - Event Date: 27 Jan 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Getting ready for Solar season
    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 8:50am
Just received our renogy 100 w solar panel and hook up kit. Cant wait to get some sun so we can hook it up and give it a try.
We ae planning on doing a lot more dry camping this year!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:00am
We get a lot of good use out of ours -- mostly at the OBX, mostly because that's where we've been most since we got the kit.  It works great there.  We stay down at the NPS campground at Frisco, which has no hookups. Of course there's no point in having it at a KOA.  We really like the Frisco campground as opposed to almost any commercial campground where they stack you like sardines.  There are certainly advantages to hookups though.

Frisco is relatively more isolated than Rodanthe but you might really like the fishing at Cape Point.  Buxton and Hatteras villages have lots of good places to eat.  Frisco too for that matter.  Ocracoke is an easy boat boat ride away.  (Take Capt. Rudy Austin's boat over to Portsmouth Island for most of a day if you ever have the chance.)  Even from way down there we don't hesitate to run up to Manteo, Kitty Hawk, or even Corolla.  It's a beautiful drive....

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:39am
TT,
We checked out Frisco, Cape Point and Oregon Inlet on our last trip down to Cape Hatteras.
 We really liked Frisco and Cape Point. Going to try two to three weeks at each this coming October. We stayed at Oregon inlet a couple of nights this past fall.
We have a couple of camping spots lined up on state land here in VT to try things out and practice over the summer.

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:13am
Good luck with the solar. We love our renogy 100watt unit. We have used it for 2seasons and can only say positive things.
One important thing to do is to remember to adjust the positioning of the panel. I do it at night before we go to bed to catch the early morning sun before we get up. I also do it  before we leave camp in the morning. I do it again when we return from the days activities. I use a simple compass to find true west and then position the unit accordinglly. I will adjust it several times during the day when we are in camp. The charge controller is very accurate in telling you what the input levels are, so pay attention to that at first until you get a feel for it. I also made 2wooden blocks out of 6x6 to prop up the panel for a higher angle than the stock frame arms allow. There are lots of tables available online that will tell you the optimum angle and direction(degrees between southwest and west) depending on your location. 
We have bbeen out as long as 13 days keeping our 2 six volt batteries fully charged usinqg the panel.
Cleaning them occasionally will help their efficiency.
Enjoy the solar freedom!
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:46am
I appreciate your guidance! Am really looking forward to trying it out. Will probably be asking a lot of questions this spring when we start. Can’t wait to be back down fishing the OBX!

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply