R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLithium battery?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithium battery?
    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 9:55pm
Isn't gasoline a hazardous material. Certain states won't let you pump your own.
2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD AC
2018 RP 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by RobnCari

Isn't gasoline a hazardous material. Certain states won't let you pump your own.

First I see you pull with a Tacoma! I will be as well! Work good for you?

Back on topic: Yes, gasoline is. So if you carry 'Jerry cans" you will be looked at. You're allowed so much (would have to look it up again) and same for the propane we carry. 

My concern is tongue weight so I will carry an additional propane bottle in the bed of the truck. This is allowed, as I've read.

Li-ion batteries are still kinda new. Considered hazardous if not done correctly. Since still new, was curious if those using have been asked as of yet. So far, I'm seeing no one has been.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
amnman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 7:07pm
Today, I just converted my Lead acid battery system on my R-pod 171 to lithium battery. 

Components:
1 Battleborn Lithium battery 12v 100aH $949 (w/ free shipping)
1 Progressive Dynamics Converter modification for my WFCO power system $235 (includes shipping)
2 ANL fuse holders $14 ($11 for a 10-pack of 100A fuses)
2 24" 5AWG cables with ring terminals (5/16") already installed $11
1 Group 31 battery box.

Took me 1/2 a day to install. Longest period was installing the converter mod. You replace the DC board and swap the wiring/fuses to the new DC board as well as the battery cables. Then remove the converter power circuit board and replace it with the new one. 

The fuse/fuse holders and cables are attached to the battery. The cable from the RV are attached to the fuse blocks for additional safety. 100ah Lithium battery can send 200 amps for 30 seconds, enough time to start a fire with a short, so the fuses will give at 100 amps.

So I guess you are wondering why I did this? Well for something simple as "creature comforts" My ice machine and 1Kw pure-wave inverter could kill a 100aH lead acid battery w/ solar charging in less than 3 hours (voltage alarm goes off) before filling the basket.  

I setup the lithium battery (charged) with the same inverter and ice maker, I can fill the basket TWICE and still have power left over. Took my 200w solar charger and reprogrammed it for Lithium. The charger is a Victron MPPT 75/15 using battery clamps for a battery connection. After peaking the solar panels every 1/2 hour, the solar system recharged that battery in 6 hours.

So I bought all the other components needed to install this in my R-pod and the rest is history.

Be responsible with technology, or technology will make you irresponsible. ~ Me
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 12:14pm
That's an interesting mod. I think in the next year or so the cost of lithium batteries will drop significantly, so you may be ahead of the curve.

I'm curious. A standard LiON battery voltage is ~~ 3.6 volts. 3 cells in series would get you 10.8 volts, but 4 cells in series would get you 14.4 volts. I wonder what the idle voltage of your battery is? Or do you know how many cells your battery is?

I'm also curious what percent discharge your lithium battery can handle? Typical lead-acid is only 50% discharge (wet cells). How low (percent-wise) can your lithium handle?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
amnman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 8:59pm
It is a 4 cell battery.... The standing voltage is 13.9 after the converter stops charging (14.4 when charging). The voltage after running my ice maker was 13.5. My water pump works better... more stable pressure. All the 12v systems seem to be fine and the lights didn't dim when the ice maker's compressor turned on. The battery can be run down to 90%, but the voltage will drop quickly after this.... so 95% is usable. Discharge rate is 1C (100Ah) for 55 minutes... but this discharge rate will shortens its life.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 10:22am
Originally posted by amnman

It is a 4 cell battery.... The standing voltage is 13.9 after the converter stops charging (14.4 when charging). The voltage after running my ice maker was 13.5. My water pump works better... more stable pressure. All the 12v systems seem to be fine and the lights didn't dim when the ice maker's compressor turned on. The battery can be run down to 90%, but the voltage will drop quickly after this.... so 95% is usable. Discharge rate is 1C (100Ah) for 55 minutes... but this discharge rate will shortens its life.
That's good info. That means that a 100AH Lithium will get you something in the neighborhood of 1250 watt-hours of power, whereas a 100AH lead acid will only get around 600 watt-hours (lower voltage and less discharge tolerance). What it means to me is that a single 100AH Lithium has almost as much power as a pair of 6V GC batteries.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
amnman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 10:02pm
Last a lot longer than those GC batteries.... life wise.... so cost goes down significantly.

So far my battery has made boondocking so much more enjoyable. My solar system works great as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12