FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Pod 189 Owner - Event Date: 26 Jan 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New Pod 189 Owner
    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:11am
Good morning,

Should I use a EMS when I'm using a Honda EU2000 generator with inverter?
2022 196
2021 Chevy Tahoe
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:13am
I believe you could with adapter, I don't on my generator just commercial power. QUESTION- I you checked out the KY mini-mini, think they are a couple sites left, the post is on forum?
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 7:03pm
Just a heads up on the generator. If you install the EMS, and you try to run off your generator (any size, any brand name) your EMS will block the power, and not run. There are 2 choices. Run without the EMS, which i would NOT recommend, or, also buy a progressive generator plug. Because gennys arte not grounded, the EMS does its job and stops the "un-grounded" power from ruining your camper. The plug, tells the EMS it's ok to let the power thru. You can get those at amazon or e-trailer also. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 7:25pm
Mjlrpod, first I have heard of the generator issue, but it certainly makes sense.
We have the hard wired Progressive Industries unit however when I went to their site I did not see a generator adaptor, would you provide more details please.
Susan and Norm
2016 Venza, V6 factory tow
2018 RP179
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by NAP1947

Mjlrpod, first I have heard of the generator issue, but it certainly makes sense.
We have the hard wired Progressive Industries unit however when I went to their site I did not see a generator adaptor, would you provide more details please.

It's called a neutral bonding plug. I  can't believe i cant find one. I bought one from progressive industries 6 to 8 months ago. You can make one, you just tie the white and green wire together, there is DIY videos on you tube. perhaps others can chime in.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:16pm
Yes, it is simple to make. Go to your local hardware store and purchase a male plug with ground, preferably weather resistant. Take a short piece of wire (10 gauge is best followed by 12 gauge). Fasten one end to the neutral (silver colored) connector, screw or insert depending on your plug. Fasten the other end to the ground (green) connector. Do not connect anything to the third (gold/brass colored) connector. Close the housing and then use a little silicone to seal where the wire would normally go through. You will then have a functional neutral bonding plug for a lot less than Progressive Industries would want to charge.

Plug it into one of the outlets on your generator. Plug your cord into the other outlet (assuming a 2000 watt generator with a dual 15A plug). If you have a 30A outlet, plugging the neutral bonding plug into the 15A outlet should also provide the bonding for the 30A outlet.

I made one. It only took a few minutes (plus time for the silicone plugging the hole to cure). I tried it and it works very well. The reason you need one with a generator is that most generators have a "floating neutral" unlike the power coming from your home's outlets or the post in an RV park. There, the bonding is done at the service panel. The circuit analyzer is expecting bonded neutral and the plug provides this.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Old & out-to-play View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 10:48am
Thank you for your service!

Just a suggestion, have the wheels balanced at a tire center.  We had major wheel hop on our 177 as the left wheel was in balance but the right was way out of balance causing a harmonic type of wheel hop very noticeable at speeds above 55.  At 70 the hop caused sway in even slight side winds.  After having the wheels balanced the trailer pulls nicely and the need for sway bars was negated.

Some folks have commented on tire failure but we have had not issues as we keep the tire pressures at 50 lbs. and the wheels balance.

From what I have been able to discern the tires are NOT factory balanced.

Hope this helps,

Bert
Old and in the way so now it's time to play
2wolves View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 12:11pm
Bert,
Thanks for the advice! I'm picking up on Thursday not sure what tire comes on the unit, but I was thinking about switching out to the new Good Year ST. Will have them balanced when I do the exchange. Will probably use the old tires to create myself a couple of spares.
2022 196
2021 Chevy Tahoe
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 1:00pm
IT'S HERE!!!

Picked up our R-pod 190 yesterday.  A non-standard, January mid 50's sunny day in Omaha.  Drove around a big parking lot practicing turning and backing up before hitting the streets to get comfortable in traffic.

Now today when I want to tinker with it, it's mid 20's and snow flurries!  Grrrrrrr.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 3:53pm
+1 to old and-out-out-to-play. I think new pods come with D rated tires which is a plus, but chances are they will not be balanced.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>