Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIce Maker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ice Maker
    Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 4:57pm
I LOVE my YETI and can't recommend them (or other brands that are now comparable, there didn't used to be any comps) enough. For all the reasons mentioned in this thread. I'm a big believer in backup systems too, and wouldn't want to rely on just the Pod's fridge. My ice chest doesn't rely on batteries, shore power or propane ... just ice and/or frozen foods :-) I didn't buy mine until 2010 and kicked myself for not getting it sooner, as it would have saved the day in some previous situations. Live and learn as they say! For desert camping, being able to keep water from getting hot is a huge thing for me. Fine with living on canned or packaged food, but need good water. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Marchhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:37am
We freeze gallon zip lock bags full of water at home before leaving. They go in cooler, then some are used when we arrive at camp to cool Rpod fridge quicker. Then we transfer most of food, keeping beverages in the portable cooler with these blocks of ice. Lasts all weekend. If I need cubes during weekend, I pack a small cooler with ice from my home fridge. I make cubes all week before leaving and bag them. Never have to buy ice on road.
Outdoorsy Marc
2016 Rpod 179
2017 Kia Sorento SXL
onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 12:29am
I've been using Pelican coolers for a few years.  This year we bought the soft ones.  the ice retention is much less than the hard coolers but the weight savings more than makes up for it.  We also got the the Pelican Ice packs.  cold beverage and cold food storage lasts 3 days.  Frozen foods, no.  We still use the Pelican hard coolers for Ice.  we can reload soft coolers for 2 or 3 days.  
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12